Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
eqzitara
eqzitara began at the beginning.

Device: fff
Best for manga

I am looking for a ebook reader thats best for manga(sharp screen,pretty big size) which would be best?
eqzitara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Right now, your two best choices are the Sony Reader PRS-505 or the iRex iLiad. The iLiad has a higher resolution and 16 shades. But costs $699. The 505 has Vizplex, lower resolution, 8 shades and costs $299. If all you want is just reading then go for the Sony.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The iLiad is about tankoubon size and supports CBZ and CBR (I think). That might influence your decision. The Sony is smaller and is a closed system. You'd have to have your manga in PDF format to view it, or convert to something else the Sony can read.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'd say the iLiad right now, but also the Cybook as soon as they support zipped formats. 2 days ago, I compared a few images on the Sony PRS-500 and the Cybook v3. The software on the Cybook had a much better image quality overall.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I'd say the iLiad right now, but also the Cybook as soon as they support zipped formats. 2 days ago, I compared a few images on the Sony PRS-500 and the Cybook v3. The software on the Cybook had a much better image quality overall.
did you try using something like rasterfarian. i;ve found that readability improves ALOT using it.

OP. i currently read photographed books (text books with small fonts ) on the prs-500. so i don't think you can go wrong with either
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsoul View Post
did you try using something like rasterfarian. i;ve found that readability improves ALOT using it.

OP. i currently read photographed books (text books with small fonts ) on the prs-500. so i don't think you can go wrong with either
Oh yeah using Rastafarian does improve the overall readability. I need to do some extra testing but overall image support seemed better on the Cybook.

But the one feature that you really need for manga is support for zipped formats. Right now, it's missing on both the Sony Reader and the Cybook v3 (should be supported later on according to Bookeen).
Old 10-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Oh yeah using Rastafarian does improve the overall readability. I need to do some extra testing but overall image support seemed better on the Cybook.

But the one feature that you really need for manga is support for zipped formats. Right now, it's missing on both the Sony Reader and the Cybook v3 (should be supported later on according to Bookeen).
yeah zipped would be nice. but i've gotten used to using BBeB so i simply convert everything to that. also manga2ebook does a good job.
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Interesting since Cybook continues to indicate that they are only using 4 shades of gray in the hardware (even though the new hardware has 8 levels of support) but are dithering to get 16 shades similar to the iLiad. The PRS-500 only supports 4 gray levels in hardware and software while the 505 is supposed to support 8 levels but I don't know if the content can take advantage of the newer 8 levels or is tuned to the 500. It depends on how the images were generated.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Most manga doesn't use grayscale anyway. (But some of the shading effects can come close, so dithering to different shades of gray is likely to affect the overall appearance.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It really isn't fair to compare the 500 to the Gen3. Teh Vizplex screen is noticeably better. If you want to compare, compare the 505 to the Gen3 since they both use the same screen. I don't know if the 505 would look that much better since the 505 has 8 shades where the Gen3 only has 4.

If someone wants to send me a Gen3, I'll be happy to compare the two screens.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It really isn't fair to compare the 500 to the Gen3. Teh Vizplex screen is noticeably better. If you want to compare, compare the 505 to the Gen3 since they both use the same screen. I don't know if the 505 would look that much better since the 505 has 8 shades where the Gen3 only has 4.

If someone wants to send me a Gen3, I'll be happy to compare the two screens.
It's not strictly the hardware that's important in this case. A good dithering algorithm for example might be as important.

I have a PRS-500, a friend owns a PRS-505. I'll compare the 3 of them for manga reading as soon as I have a Cybook v3.

Anyone got a simple manga page for this ? For the test we would need: LRF with and without pre-processing, and the image file itself for the Cybook v3. Could be interesting for example to see how small fonts are displayed on each of those 3 devices...
Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
I am quite interested in this subject too.
Has anyone already tried what Adrien suggested ?
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 AM   #13
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
I've found a jpg file if somebody wants to check this out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	naruto_.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	7208  

Last edited by Huyggy; 11-12-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
ShinseiRyu
ShinseiRyu began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505

Just got my PRS-505 yesterday. I got it mainly for reading books but looks like I might be able to read manga too. I just copied a .jpeg to the reader straight from an archive. If you want I can try that Naruto jpeg as well and take a picture.
ShinseiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinseiRyu View Post

Just got my PRS-505 yesterday. I got it mainly for reading books but looks like I might be able to read manga too. I just copied a .jpeg to the reader straight from an archive. If you want I can try that Naruto jpeg as well and take a picture.
Thank you for the picture. I would love to see the Naruto image loaded onto the Sony Reader as well. If possible, could you post the jpg file which you load onto the reader as well?
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote