Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #106
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
I had the same issue as Tom with my first K3. I got a replacement from Amazon which was much better. Just recently I bought a refurbished Wifi KK for my husband, and its screen makes mine look really grey - it is almost paper coloured! I reckon until the eInk technology is updated it's just going to be the luck of the draw. Next time I'd have no hesitation in sending a darker screen back for exchange but I hadn't even seen one in proper use when I bought mine. Those on dispay in the shops are under very bright light, when they are all fine.

ren
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #107
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I've read all these K4 screen threads and after using my new K4 for a few days now there is no doubt in my mind that this screen contrast is not near as good as my current K3 and DXG readers.

The text on my K3 and DXG almost jump off the screen (like the Sony one someone posted earlier) and I can read either in very low light conditions. The K4 background is much grayer and I need pretty strong lighting in order to read it ok.

Talked to CS and I'm returning/exchanging it. Hope my next one is better. If not, I'll ask for a refund.

In my opinion, either the new K4 screens are a lower quality screen, or there is a problem with the current 4.0x firmware. In any case I think Amazon is going to have to address this problem soon. You'd think that they could at least pre-view these K4 units before they ship them out, lol!

cheers,
Tom
Update;

Got my new replacement K4nt today. No real significant difference (maybe very little better contrast). Screen background still looks a lot greyer than my K3 and DXG units.

For interest sake I took the replacement unit and my K3 down to a local Dick Smiths Electronics store (~equiv to Radio Shack) and compared my units to the demo ones they just got in. Under pretty bright store lighting there was little difference between all of them, lol!

Outside, in pretty bright sunlight, there is very little difference as well.

When I got back home and compared all my 3 kindles indoors under what I'd consider pretty normal indoor lighting levels, you could really see the difference but the K4 is still quite readable. Under lower indoor light (that I can comfortably read my K3 and DXG with, or even a book) you need to go to the bolder font (sans serif) in order to read ok with the K4nt.

Now I'm not really sure what to do. Either keep it or send it back again? Think I'll try living with it for a week or two and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #108
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Update;

Got my new replacement K4nt today. No real significant difference (maybe very little better contrast). Screen background still looks a lot greyer than my K3 and DXG units.

For interest sake I took the replacement unit and my K3 down to a local Dick Smiths Electronics store (~equiv to Radio Shack) and compared my units to the demo ones they just got in. Under pretty bright store lighting there was little difference between all of them, lol!

Outside, in pretty bright sunlight, there is very little difference as well.

When I got back home and compared all my 3 kindles indoors under what I'd consider pretty normal indoor lighting levels, you could really see the difference but the K4 is still quite readable. Under lower indoor light (that I can comfortably read my K3 and DXG with, or even a book) you need to go to the bolder font (sans serif) in order to read ok with the K4nt.

Now I'm not really sure what to do. Either keep it or send it back again? Think I'll try living with it for a week or two and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Tom
Do what I did, change the font using the Kindle collections font plugin. It made a world of difference for me. I have learned temperature will play apart in screen background contrast. I find when my K4 is cold is looks greyish green and when warm it's very light gray.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #109
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Update;

Well, I'm hoping for the best with my touch but if the screen is not of equal or better contrast I would seriously consider switching to the Sony. Despite some early problems it now seem pretty solid and has a great contrast to the screen.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #110
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Well, I'm hoping for the best with my touch but if the screen is not of equal or better contrast I would seriously consider switching to the Sony. Despite some early problems it now seem pretty solid and has a great contrast to the screen.
Did they fix the freeze issue on the T1?
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwentworth View Post
The only problem is the K series is not good at all.
K series? It that on the Sony?

Last edited by dreams; 11-14-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: removed spam in quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #112
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Do what I did, change the font using the Kindle collections font plugin. It made a world of difference for me. I have learned temperature will play apart in screen background contrast. I find when my K4 is cold is looks greyish green and when warm it's very light gray.
Thanks Blossom. I might give that plugin a go although I'm a bit concerned that it's a bit of a hack (it does say it isn't though).

Interesting about temps. We are just getting into summer here (Oz) and todays temp hit 30 deg C (86 deg F) so this should help, lol!

cheers,
Tom

Last edited by ThomasC; 11-13-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks Blossom. I might give that plugin a go although I'm a bit concerned that it's a bit of a hack (it does say it isn't though).

Interesting about temps. We are just getting into summer here (Oz) and todays temp hit 30 deg C (86 deg F) so this should help, lol!

cheers,
Tom
It's not a hack really and it isn't permanent. It fact to go back to normal you just switch back to the Standard font on the Aaa menu. If you do switch back you must rerun the plugin in Calibre again that's the only downside.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #114
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

cheers,
Tom
Tom, changing the font to a darker one will improve it on the k4. But, doing the same with the k3 will make it look better still. Fwiw, I think you should return it and maybe try the touch model., because the screen isn't going to get better. It's bothered you enough to return it once and take it to the store to compare it, then chances are it'll keep bothering you, as long as you have the k3 to compare it with. Just my unsolicited 2c.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Tom, changing the font to a darker one will improve it on the k4. But, doing the same with the k3 will make it look better still. Fwiw, I think you should return it and maybe try the touch model., because the screen isn't going to get better. It's bothered you enough to return it once and take it to the store to compare it, then chances are it'll keep bothering you, as long as you have the k3 to compare it with. Just my unsolicited 2c.
After seeing several review pics it looks like the Touch has the same screen.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #116
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
After seeing several review pics it looks like the Touch has the same screen.
I agree Blossom, looks the same to me also. I'm starting to think that maybe the K4's have a different glare-free screen cover that might be a bit tinted (maybe to make it easier to read in bright sunlight). I'll give the font plugin a try and see how I go. Thanks.

cheers,
Tom
Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #117
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I agree Blossom, looks the same to me also. I'm starting to think that maybe the K4's have a different glare-free screen cover that might be a bit tinted (maybe to make it easier to read in bright sunlight). I'll give the font plugin a try and see how I go. Thanks.

cheers,
Tom
They do have a different finish on them then the first K3s. I also think it's a different manufacturer. My guess is they did some of the K3SOs as well seeing I have heard a couple who have them have similar background greyness to them.

I just ordered a solid black decalgirl sticker for my K4. I'm hoping it will help with some of glare I get from the silver bezel and it will trick my eyes into thinking the contrast is better.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #118
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under

Finally got the caliber kindle collections plugin working (on my K4nt, K3, and DXG) and was able to import different fonts, adjust margins and justifications.

Everyones eysight preferences are different and for me, the original kindle fonts on my K3 and DXG look best.

The K4nt looked a little better under poor light but I did not think that this was significantly better than just going to the stock sans serif with a larger font size in these low light condidtions. Under strong lighting I still preferred the stock amazon fonts.

Kind of fun to try but I've now uninstalled this plugin from caliber and removed the font directory and caliber files from all these devices, and restarted them. Everything looks normal now but I seem to have a justification option (left/full) in the aaa menu on all of them that I cannot remember having before. Anyway, everything else seems back to normal.

BTW, when I had this plugin installed on my windows 7 64bit PC I started to get quite a few internet interupts. When I unustalled this plugin this seemed to improve things back to normal. Not really sure this was being caused by the plugin or something else. Just thought I'd mention it.

While I'm still not 100% happy with my greyer-screened K4nt I'll probably just learn to live with it. This is not going to be my primary reader anyway, probably just a bathroom and poolside reader, lol! I mainly use my DXG for at-home reading and my wife uses (and loves) the K3 wifi/3g.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #119
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I had a good long read with my K4nt last night and right after that I picked up my K3 and it was night and day better. So you are right Barty, I'm never going to be happy with this grey-screened K4nt while I can read something on my K3 or DXG.

Called Amazon CS today and agreed to try one more replacement. Hopefully I'll get one from a better batch. However, if the next one is not as good as my K3 and DXG I'll just send it back for a refund (or maybe try trading up to a K4 touch).

Cheers,
Tom
Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 AM   #120
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I noticed that the Sony PRS T1 and Cybook Odyssey list "E-Ink pearl v220". What exactly are these different 'versions', I cant seem to find reference to any other version numbers or datasheets which might refer to other versions.

Just curious
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote