Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #31
cjallan
Enthusiast
cjallan doesn't littercjallan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The installer asks if you want to set Sigil to be the default application for a number of file types. If you said yes then it sets it self up that way. The easiest thing to do is uninstall Sigil (this clears its associations) and reinstall being sure to uncheck the file associations you don't want.
I didn't see that... or maybe I saw it and didn't understand what it meant, as I usually don't change anything from the "default" way a program installs itself.

OK... will uninstall, and re-install, keeping a sharper eye.

Thanks much!

CJ

I was afraid to do anything until I heard back from you.
cjallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #32
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallan View Post
I didn't see that... or maybe I saw it and didn't understand what it meant, as I usually don't change anything from the "default" way a program installs itself.
You're not alone, many people just mindlessly click next. Once programs started putting in optional toolbars and ads I started paying more attention to the defaults.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

OK... will uninstall, and re-install, keeping a sharper eye.

Thanks much!

CJ

I was afraid to do anything until I heard back from you.
You can also change the Association fro Windows Explorer: Tool Folder Options: File Types: <choose the extension> Click the Change button next to The "Opens With" line

You need to do this for each file type
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #34
cjallan
Enthusiast
cjallan doesn't littercjallan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Well, the question (as I learned when I went back and re-installed Sigil) specifically mentioned "ebooks".

I would answer "yes" to that question again (if I hadn't just been told it's the wrong answer), because, yes, I do want Sigil associated with ebook files.

I just didn't expect that would include all my Notepad text files and html files that have nothing to do with ebooks.
cjallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, the question (as I learned when I went back and re-installed Sigil) specifically mentioned "ebooks".

I would answer "yes" to that question again (if I hadn't just been told it's the wrong answer), because, yes, I do want Sigil associated with ebook files.

I just didn't expect that would include all my Notepad text files and html files that have nothing to do with ebooks.
I am with you.

Default for EPUB, optional ( un-ticked)for the others.
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #36
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool open with

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am with you.

Default for EPUB, optional ( un-ticked)for the others.
i use a different approach. since i very rarely open an epub for purposes of editing when i'm not in calibre i use the open with plugin with a keyboard key associated with it to open an epub with sigil. epubs are associated in windows with ade for reading.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i use a different approach. since i very rarely open an epub for purposes of editing when i'm not in calibre i use the open with plugin with a keyboard key associated with it to open an epub with sigil. epubs are associated in windows with ade for reading.
That's why there are options

I hit Sigil both ways, I also use the Firefox PI as one of my previewers.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #38
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool duh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That's why there are options

I hit Sigil both ways, I also use the Firefox PI as one of my previewers.
yeah, i changed my default windows association to the firefox pi as well, just had a momentary lapse when i typed that last post.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #39
cups@boot
cups@boot began at the beginning.

Device: nook, panvision
error on ubuntu 10.04

Hi,
I followed the workaround. I'm also running Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS Here's some more documentation:
Downloaded the package from the link
and then extracted the package from my Downloads folder to a tmp file that I created in the folder that I installed Sigil to
home/john/Sigil$ mkdir tmp
Here's the command to extract :
$ dpkg-deb -x libstdc++6_4.5.2-8ubuntu4_i386.deb /home/john/Sigil/tmp
I then moved the libstdc++.so.6 into home/john/Sigil
and tried to start the program
$./sigil
No dice. Got this error:
$ /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by /home/john/Sigil/./sigil)

I decided that the path might be wrong, maybe it was looking in /usr/lib, so I backed up
the libstdc++.so.6 that was in /usr/lib (always a good idea to back stuff up)https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/smile.gif
$ sudo cp /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.bak
I then overwrote my existing libstdc++.so.6
$ mv /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
That gave me this error when I tried to run it
$ ./sigil: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Having noticed that libstdc++.so.6 was included with another lib file in the extracted Deb I moved that to the /usr/lib as well
$ sudo mv libstdc++.so.6.0.14 /usr/lib
I then ran these commands
$ sudo ldconfig /usr/local/lib
$ sudo ldconfig /usr/lib
I don't think, I needed the first one, I was just following a post on a different program
When I tried to run the sigil I got this
$ ./sigil: symbol lookup error:./sigil: undefined symbol:
I then simply ran this
$ sigil
And Voila! Sigil is up and running

So in summary, I think these two files need to be together in /usr/lib and I think you have to run sudo ldconfig /usr/lib. They say that Lucid LTS is good until 2013, but you occasionally have to do these sort of workarounds like this on programs that you're interested in.
Hope this is helpful
cups@boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #40
cups@boot
cups@boot began at the beginning.

Device: nook, panvision
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Download the package that contains libstdc++6 for natty. Should be this one. Extract the contents of the package. Do not install the package. Put the libstdc++6.so file in the folder you installed Sigil to (/opt/sigil).
Hi,
I followed the workaround. I'm also running Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS Here's some more documentation:
Downloaded the package from the link
and then extracted the package from my Downloads folder to a tmp file that I created in the folder that I installed Sigil to
home/john/Sigil$ mkdir tmp
Here's the command to extract :
$ dpkg-deb -x libstdc++6_4.5.2-8ubuntu4_i386.deb /home/john/Sigil/tmp
I then moved the libstdc++.so.6 into home/john/Sigil
and tried to start the program
$./sigil
No dice. Got this error:
$ /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by /home/john/Sigil/./sigil)

I decided that the path might be wrong, maybe it was looking in /usr/lib, so I backed up
the libstdc++.so.6 that was in /usr/lib (always a good idea to back stuff up)https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/smile.gif
$ sudo cp /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.bak
I then overwrote my existing libstdc++.so.6
$ mv /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
That gave me this error when I tried to run it
$ ./sigil: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Having noticed that libstdc++.so.6 was included with another lib file in the extracted Deb I moved that to the /usr/lib as well
$ sudo mv libstdc++.so.6.0.14 /usr/lib
I then ran these commands
$ sudo ldconfig /usr/local/lib
$ sudo ldconfig /usr/lib
I don't think, I needed the first one, I was just following a post on a different program
When I tried to run the sigil I got this
$ ./sigil: symbol lookup error:./sigil: undefined symbol:
I then simply ran this
$ sigil
And Voila! Sigil is up and running

So in summary, I think these two files need to be together in /usr/lib and I think you have to run sudo ldconfig /usr/lib. They say that Lucid LTS is good until 2013, but you occasionally have to do these sort of workarounds like this on programs that you're interested in.
Hope this is helpful
cups@boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #41
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Question PCRE engine implementation?

@John:
I really hate the limitations of the current QRegExp engine and I'm often forced to use an external editor for advanced search and replace operations.
Is there any chance of you releasing a minor Sigil update that just replaces QRegExp with PCRE?

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-26-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #42
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cups@boot View Post
$./sigil
No dice. Got this error:

I decided that the path might be wrong, maybe it was looking in /usr/lib
You have to run the Sigil.sh script. it sets the path correctly to look in the install directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu
Is there any chance of you releasing a minor Sigil update that just replaces QRegExp with PCRE?
No. it's not finished.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote