Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #61
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

hadrien-

click the appropriate radio-button to select the canned format you want.
click another button to download every book on your site. you're done...

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #62
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Well... I don't really see the point of downloading the whole site... Here's a few things I need to say about this:
- depending on how your software is coded, it could be considered as hammering and get the IP address banned: send me your code, I'll check the software behavior
- custom PDF are generated on the fly, and some of them can be 1.000+ pages. Imagine what it would mean to generate thousands of these at the same time...
- a program that would download every book for an author or a list would make much more sense than strictly downloading the whole website
- our e-book generation system is frequently updated and improved
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #63
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Well... I don't really see the point of downloading the whole site (...) a program that would download every book for an author or a list would make much more sense than strictly downloading the whole website
Main point in downloading the whole website is: if it gets offline for some reason (eg.: you decide to stop the project or you have copyright judicial issues) people would still have the whole collection in their machines. Maybe you should periodically create several DVDs that people could download from the website and from P2P networks. You could also make such DVDs for given authors or special hits.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #64
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

hadrien said:
> I don't really see the point of downloading the whole site...

oh. i thought you had expressed the wish to make downloading easier.
i got the impression that the fbreader people are working on it for you.
wasn't that one of the points of releasing your a.p.i.?

> Here's a few things I need to say about this:
> - depending on how your software is coded, it could be
> considered as hammering and get the IP address banned:

well, obviously, if you're going to _ban_ someone for using it,
then you don't want me to release the program. just say so...

> send me your code, I'll check the software behavior

i can program the "behavior" to be whatever you want it to be.
so just tell me what you want it to be. that's why i asked you.

> - custom PDF are generated on the fly

i specifically said this would only apply to canned formats...

> - a program that would download every book for an author
> or a list would make much more sense than strictly
> downloading the whole website

well, that might or might not be a future route for the program,
but in terms of "facilitating downloads", fewer clicks are better.

and if an end-user steps through every author, it's the same thing.

(and i won't do the work of making the program _less_useful_ --
by requiring more work from users to do the exact same thing --
until i find out if there's even any demand for it in the first place.)

> - our e-book generation system is frequently updated and improved

if end-users think they need the updated improved versions,
they'd just delete their local files and run the program again.
(the app checks for a local copy before it downloads a book,
so the person can re-run the program later to get new books.)

again, i don't have to release this program. i'm doing it _for_you_,
because you expressed desires to make downloading "more ipodish".

i had the skeleton of the program written already, for p.g. e-texts,
so i modified it... but if you'd rather have people come to your site
and download the files manually, that's perfectly acceptable to me...

-bowerbird
Old 10-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #65
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdiogo View Post
Main point in downloading the whole website is: if it gets offline for some reason (eg.: you decide to stop the project or you have copyright judicial issues) people would still have the whole collection in their machines. Maybe you should periodically create several DVDs that people could download from the website and from P2P networks. You could also make such DVDs for given authors or special hits.
I agree, we could dump the cache into a .torrent file once in a while.

Quote:
oh. i thought you had expressed the wish to make downloading easier.
i got the impression that the fbreader people are working on it for you.
wasn't that one of the points of releasing your a.p.i.?
Well, the first program using the API is the one we've created for the iLiad.
The API is here to help those who'd like to integrate Feedbooks into existing applications or websites, mass downloading is closer to a "wget -r" than an API.

Quote:
well, obviously, if you're going to _ban_ someone for using it,
then you don't want me to release the program. just say so...
I'm not gonna ban anyone because they're downloading all of our files. Main problem here is how someone is downloading all these files. If it's with a queue, it's not a problem at all. But if dozens of people are running such a program, and the program downloads multiple files at the same time, it would canibalize the ressources, making the service much slower for our users.
Advert
Old 10-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #66
bowerbird
Banned

hadrien-

i am not getting the clarity i need, so i'll shelve the plan.
think about it for a couple months, and if you decide you
want me to proceed with the program, let me know then.

-bowerbird
Old 10-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #67
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
hadrien-

i am not getting the clarity i need, so i'll shelve the plan.
think about it for a couple months, and if you decide you
want me to proceed with the program, let me know then.

-bowerbird
Well, for full site downloading I'd rather create a zip available on the website.

But for selective downloads, let's say a list, all of the books available for an author or for a genre etc... I'm OK with a downloader as long as it's using some kind of queue.

Only thing that get me worried with such software is the fact that it can cannibalize resources that some other users might need. All I want is to have the best experience for our users...

For the moment we have a dedicated server, not multiple dedicated servers yet though I hope we'll have dedicated resources for the e-book generation side of the service soon.

ricdiogo: You're part of PG right ? I remember reading on Teleread that PG was looking for a way to support epub files. A link to Feedbooks when the book is available on our side might be a solution for this problem.