Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 08-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Adrian
Adrian began at the beginning.

Device: n/a
Vinge, Vernor: Rainbows End

Hi all,

Vernor Vinge is one of the most influential SF authors out there, and he's widely credited with seeing the future of online communities in his books 'True Names' and 'A Fire upon the Deep'. Quite apart from that, he's won a whole bunch of Hugo awards.

Anyway, I was pretty astonished to discover that he's put the entire text of his latest novel, Rainbows End, online: http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html

It's a fantastic book, and I wanted to put it on my new Sony Reader. A couple of minutes with PielrfGUI and here's the result - normal formatting, with full TOC. Hope you like it!
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, Adrian, I put the attachment on hold, 'til I could ask the question: Has Vernor Vinge given permission to distribute the book? I notice that the page has a copyright notice on it, and it's clearly not public domain, so we need that permission before we can have it posted here. We have to be careful about that sort of thing, unless we want to get shut down. Not a pretty thought.

Unfortunately, his posting it on his site isn't the same as giving permission to distribute it on other sites.

If he has some sort of permission posted, please link it and we can go from there.

Thanks!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Adrian

No problem, I understand - I'll email him and get back to you guys.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
That is a very good idea.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Great! We'll look for your post on his response.

Thanks for understanding!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Adrian

Just got an email back - unfortunately he'd rather not have it distributed as an eBook mostly because it would be tricky sorting out the IP rights. Oh well. Still, while looking around, I found another Hugo nominated book that *is* CC-licensed, which will be online here shortly!