Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Sale: Prime Books at Wizards Tower Press (Hugo Showcase etc. DRM Free!)

The ebook store Wizard's Tower Press is now stocking ebooks from the publisher Prime Books. To celebrate, they are having a sale on the books from that publisher until the end of 2010. All the £6.49 books are reduced to £4.99 and the £1.99 books to £1.49.

Books eligible include The Hugo Award Showcase 2010, Lightspeed Magazine and The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2009 and 2010.

All of the books at Wizard's Tower are DRM-free, with no georestrictions and are available as epub or mobi files.

(FYI this is not like the Fictionwise Multiformat or Webscriptions model. You have to choose which file format you want before you buy, and you can only download it 5 times and within 60 days of purchase)
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
The ebook store Wizard's Tower Press is now stocking ebooks from the publisher Prime Books. To celebrate, they are having a sale on the books from that publisher until the end of 2010. All the £6.49 books are reduced to £4.99 and the £1.99 books to £1.49.

Books eligible include The Hugo Award Showcase 2010, Lightspeed Magazine and The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2009 and 2010.

All of the books at Wizard's Tower are DRM-free, with no georestrictions and are available as epub or mobi files.

(FYI this is not like the Fictionwise Multiformat or Webscriptions model. You have to choose which file format you want before you buy, and you can only download it 5 times and within 60 days of purchase)

Why the restrictions? That's kind of lame. Do they really think they are going to get such a deluge of buyers that allowing indefinite downloads will harm their bottom line by eating up bandwidth?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Why the restrictions? That's kind of lame. Do they really think they are going to get such a deluge of buyers that allowing indefinite downloads will harm their bottom line by eating up bandwidth?
*shrug* Dunno. While of course one should never rely on a retailer saving your library (the recent Fictionwise deletions spring to mind) it does seem a bit odd to limit the user that way.

Still, no DRM and no georestriction. And the book I bought yesterday was beautifully formatted, too.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
So this was interesting. I went to take a look at the web site and picked four books I was interested in. However, before clicking buy, I always check on Inkmesh to make sure I'm getting the best price possible.

One of the books they specifically mention as being a good deal, the Ware Tetralogy by Rudy Rucker (sounded interesting and for five pounds, I thought why not) turned out to be free from Feedbooks and Many Books. The other three I'm interested in are cheaper (well, two are much cheaper and one is virtually the same price, though it's not on sale) but the moral of the story: make sure you double check before assuming a "sale" really is a great deal.

Still, thanks. I think I'm going to buy the other three books (hemming and hawing about the one that's not on sale actually. I may hold off on that).

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
A couple of the titles might possibly be cheaper via Fictionwise with the Xmas week 60% discount coupon. I know I've seen issues of Lightspeed Magazine in the New eBooks section in recent weeks.

True, you'll have to put up with the generally slightly messed-up MultiFormat auto-formatting (I've yet to come across an FW title I didn't want to fix in some way), but at least they'll be in your archives for re-download until something happens to Fictionwise.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert