Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
The Camera

Yesterday I found a digital camera on the letterbox... I asked the immediate neighbours, but no one knew anything about it..

I thought it might belong to one of my clients (I work with intellectually disabled people, supporting 3 men in their own house), but it didn't..

I took it home, after approval from my manager, plugged the card into my computer, and hundreds of photos came up.. I looked through them quickly, and found one with a house... Zooming in the house number was 43..

This house was fairly new, had a light green roof, and a fancy driveway...

I went into google earth to try and find something that would look like to house in the picture... I zoomed on several in the area, but no go...

But, then I found one with a light green roof...

I looked up the address [43 streetname, F/L), went to photo view, and that was the house in the picture!

Today I went to see the people, with printouts of their house, and it was indeed their camera...

WOW! That felt good!
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Nice Job Lene - glad you made the effort. I am sure they were very happy.

And I am sure you were equally glad that there were no dodgy pictures on the camera.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
It's amazing to know what Google Earth can do.

Anyways, good job! It's great you made the effort of doing that.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Nice Job Lene - glad you made the effort. I am sure they were very happy.

And I am sure you were equally glad that there were no dodgy pictures on the camera.
Well I didn't look any further than the photo of the house...
Old 05-06-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
That was very nice of you to take the time to find the owner, lene.

I'm sure they were extremely grateful to get their camera and pictures back.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
It's amazing to know what Google Earth can do.

Anyways, good job! It's great you made the effort of doing that.
If I had lost my camera, I would have been happy someone made the effort...

Of course, I fully understand the implications of the privacy act... and what I did was probably illegal, but how else would you get lost property back to their owners? I'm sure, if I had given it to the police, they would never have gotten it back..
Old 05-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
That was very nice of you to take the time to find the owner, lene.

I'm sure they were extremely grateful to get their camera and pictures back.
They were very happy, and wanted to give me some money, but, as I told them, I had fun playing detective... and finding the owners was reward enough for me...

Actually, I was so thrilled finding the house... Unreal..
Old 05-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #8
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Good job!

But a bit spooky too, if one thinks about the simple way to find people ...

But regarding your abilities as a detective:

You do not by any chance have a good advice to share about the possible culprit in the Spring Contest, have you?
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Wonderful ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Good job!

But a bit spooky too, if one thinks about the simple way to find people ...

But regarding your abilities as a detective:

You do not by any chance have a good advice to share about the possible culprit in the Spring Contest, have you?

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
[QUOTE=carlobee;899190]It's amazing to know what Google Earth can do. /QUOTE]

Yup, and a little scary!

How easy would it be for a perp to find someone?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Well, lesson for today: go out and take a picture of your house on any camera or device able to take pictures.

And do not EVER delete this photo or your camera will be lost for good.

Of course, taking a photo of your address & phone number neatly written down might have the same effect but would cut out the fun for the finder :-)
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:36 AM   #13
lene1949
Wizard

I only matched a photo in the camera with a picture from Google Earth, using a few short streets in the vicinity of my work place...
Old 05-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #14
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
What a beautiful thing that you made.
I am impressed.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Nice job really. Kudos and karma to you
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote