Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 06-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lightbulb Please report any possible copyright violations

If you think that any book that's posted here is in violation of copyright law, please report it by sending an e-mail to abuse@mobileread.com and we will investigate and take any necessary action.

Please note that copyright laws differ all over the world, and that a book which is still under copyright in one country may very well be in the public domain, and hence legally downloadable, in another country. Before downloading a book, please check whether or not it is legal for you to do so, based on the copyright laws of your own country.

Thank you for your cooperation in this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It should also be noted that sometimes the original book is out of copyright but not a specific translation of that book. This is true for some of the texts used in the Harvard Classics series. Thankfully, all of the translations used there are in the public domain.

Likewise, even if a book is completely out of copyright but is electronically published by a company, they still have the rights to that presentation of the book and it cannot be posted to MobileRead without the permission of the company. We could of course go to Project Gutenberg (as an example), get the same text, convert it to a form for upload at MobileRead, and then upload it to MobileRead without permission from the company that published the other version of the public domain text.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It occurs to me that there is another copyright issue too. We probably have copyright in our own editions of lrf books. Some of us have spent a lot of time editing and reformatting them.

I'm entirely happy to post up my own books for other people to use freely for their own use, or to share with others. After all, I got them freely from PG and elsewhere. And I've been using vvv's splendid (and free) Bookdesigner.

But were anyone to download them, then sell them for profit then I would consider my copyright to be infringed. But I may be wrong about this...?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
If you donate your work as public domain then you have to live with it. anyone can then make a profit from it.
If you do not want this you have to keep your copyright and use a permissive license like one of the Creative Commons licenses.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
If you donate your work as public domain then you have to live with it. anyone can then make a profit from it.
If you do not want this you have to keep your copyright and use a permissive license like one of the Creative Commons licenses.
I think personally that this is a complete "non issue".

If the posted book contains the PG licence agreement, then that agreement states what can and cannot be done with the book.

If the book doesn't contain the PG licence agreement, then it is protected by copyright law even if you don't put a copyright notice in it, and you have the absolute right to control its distribution and copying.

This applies in every country which is a signatory of the Berne Copyright Convention - ie practically every country in the world.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
Anais9000
Connoisseur
Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
I think Patricia would find it hard to defend her inherent copyright without a copyright statement, or any other mark of identification, present in the work. Moreover, anyone (for fun or profit) can assert that they created Patricia's work, and ask you to remove it from the forum.
Anais9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh I agree with you - if you WANT to control distribution it makes sense to put a copyright statement in the book. Technically speaking, however, it is not required, and one could, if challenged, provide evidence such as the source from which the book was created.

However, I think we all create books here specifically to BE re-distributed, so "copyrighting" our work seems a little unnecessary.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
We could always offer the converted books under a Creative Commons copyright. Would that be an option?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
As i said the donor should state the license of the work on upload. Acceptable should only be a Creative Commons license or Public Domain. Alternatively like on LibriVox all donors accept Public Domain by doing the upload.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Certainly, yes!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I don't know if it's easily feasible (from a programming point of view), but we could have something like "This work is protected under a Commons Creative license" automatically show up under each first post in the Upload sections, to prohibit others from selling the work.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anais9000 View Post
Moreover, anyone (for fun or profit) can assert that they created Patricia's work, and ask you to remove it from the forum.
Of course the date on the post, which pre-dated their possession of the work they claimed to have created (which they just swiped from here) would tend to dilute such claims a bit.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
Anais9000
Connoisseur
Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
May I respectfully suggest you let people protect their works in the way and to the extent they wish, rather than imposing a system. Patricia can insert a copyright statement, or statement of origin, or CC license into her ebook if she likes. I prefer to use a copyright statement, which in my understanding allows the uses I wish to permit (viewing, reading, downloading -- implied by the act of posting) and blocks uses I don't (all others, eg. reposting, republishing, including the work in disk compilations etc.)

I don't really understand NatCh's point. Pardon me for misstating it, if I do, in the interest of having it clarified. He seems to say that it would easy for Patricia to prove that her edition of Villete, marked 05/06/2007 by BD, was not created, say, by me, on May 6th, acquired by her several weeks later, and posted without permission on June 5th.
Anais9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your copyright in the book will not stop reposting. I've seen the books posted here in Sony format reported on Usenet. So no, just because you say mo, doesn't make it so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your copyright in the book will not stop reposting. I've seen the books posted here in Sony format reported on Usenet. So no, just because you say mo, doesn't make it so.
But the Usenet eBook groups exist primarily for the purpose of distributing illegal, copyrighted material. One can, with the use of appropriate copyright message, prevent more "legitimate" re-distribution by people re-selling one's eBooks.