Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Question Kindle book has two different fonts

The Kindle book I got from Amazon has two different fonts. Let me mention that, the chapters of the ebook are either titled 'Day' or 'June'. The text of the 'June' chapters are in a font that I have chosen as my default, but the chapters entitled 'Day' have another font, it's really bold and I find it distracting, I prefer to read in a light font but I can't seem to change it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_23T21_07_15+0400.png
Views:	217
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	107264   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_23T21_07_02+0400.png
Views:	255
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	107265  
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hard-coded font. Not very user friendly. If you're sufficiently bothered about it you could get rid of it easily enough using Calibre's "Tweak Book" facility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you but I think I'm going to have to leave it as it is since I'm not really knowledgeable (I know nothing about HTML and CSS in ebooks) when it comes to these things.

Last edited by Gazella; 06-24-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hard-coded font. Not very user friendly. If you're sufficiently bothered about it you could get rid of it easily enough using Calibre's "Tweak Book" facility.
I disagree somewhat. I want publishers to to hard code fonts when it makes sense to do so, for example if they want titles in a particular typeface to give it a more distinctive look. Users don't really need to override stuff like that.

I'd also allow for use of embedded fonts for special effects, for example when Harry Potter reads a magic scroll and the typography sets off that text in some distinctive typeface. I don't want that effect lost because I happen to prefer Helvetica for the main body text.

I've also encountered books similar to that referenced in the OT, where some chapters had their typeface hard coded but others did not. The intent was to remind the reader that the chapter represents a specific 'voice' or point of view, while the other chapters represented a variety of views. There are other ways to communicate this sort of thing typographically (use italics, bold, different paragraph styles etc.), and in this case I think it might have worked better had they chosen some other technique (after all the effect is lost if you happen to select the same typeface for the un-hard-coded text), but I think it should be an option.

But I agree that it is not user friendly when the whole book is hard coded and there's no way to override any of it (as in the bad old days of Topaz). It can seriously impact readability of the book for some users.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Thank you but I think I'm going to have to leave it as it is since I'm not really knowledgeable (I know nothing about HTML and CSS in ebooks) when it comes to these things.
You can complain, either to Amazon (which very likely will bring the problem to the publisher's attention) or by giving it a three-star (whatever) review.

Kindle publishers do have an alternative in the form of Courier (monospace) font. I use it regularly for extracts that I want to set off from the default (typically Caecilia) font.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Use Tweak book to get at the code of the eBook. Then post the CSS here and maybe someone can see where the problem is and tell you how to fix it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Gazella
Wizard

Here's the CSS of the ebook.

Spoiler:
.Part-title-HEAD {
display: block;
font-family: "Bank Gothic Medium", sans-serif;
font-size: 2em;
font-weight: bold;
line-height: 1.2;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;