Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #61
seby
seby began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Onyx m92 price

Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum, but I've been following it closely for a while as I'm planning to buy an e-ink reader. I made up my mind and decided to buy an Onyx M92, now I'm wondering where to buy it from (I live in the US).
While everybody here agrees that the eReader store is the best store in terms of customer support, it's also true that there is a big price different between this store and the store at onyx-boox.com. I see a price of 299euros against 359euros (without taxes, the difference is 243euros vs 307euros). This is a 26% price difference, not a small one. What does people think of it? Also, any bad experience from onyx-boox.com?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
seby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #62
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Well,
M92 by onyx-boox.com is not the same as eReader (or some other stores). (I mean, it is the same hardware, but it has different firmware and different accessories and different lenght of warranty)

It does not have cover and warranty is 1 year (eReader 2 years), but it has better TTS (text to speach) software and some cloud ability a maybe few more things. The most important difference (for certain users) is that you cannot use "Booxstor's" firmware, but one by owner of onyx-boox.com.

So, it is up to you, what you prefer.... And you need to add a good cover, so the price difference will be a bit smaller...

Also, geekbook.cz has good price, which is about 280 EUR +VAT. But their pages are only in Czech and I do not know if they sell international.

Another option is refurbished returned pieces. Booxtor wrote in another thread that he has few pieces for sale at 20% discount price with 2 year warranty. So, if you do not need a brand new piece, it might be an option.

Last edited by Mono; 11-27-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #63
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
My 5 cents.

To the best of my knowledge, the BOOX M92 device from ArtaTech (i.e. www.onyx-boox.com a.k.a. "Onyx Europe") contains exactly the same hardware as the "plain vanilla" one (delivered by another European distributors, which have already been mentioned in this thread).
However, from ArtaTech, you will just get the device (with a stylus) and a USB cable. No power supply, no cover (note: you can buy a cover from ArtaTech, but it costs about 30 or 40 Euro).
The warranty time is 1 year.
The worst thing, however, is that you will have BIG problems as soon as you try to "update" the firmware of this device -> their firmware is really "outdated" and they do not allow you to install the well maintained Booxtor's one.

ArtaTech claims that they supply additional "unique" features:
1. the "IVONA EMBEDDED" Text-to-Speech engine -> what they do not say is that the only available language is Polish (just a single woman's voice called "Agnieszka" -> I've read somewhere that you may possibly buy additional voices and languages from the original company www.ivona.com but every single additional voice will cost you about 35 Euro),
2. a "Cloud Service" -> suports "GoogleDrive" and "Storino" services only,
3. a "RSS Reader",
4. a "Bookstore" -> see booxsource.com for available books (site available in Polish only, books in Polish only?).

Note: the size of the BOOX M92 is very similar to the size of the Apple iPad 2, so many covers designed for the latter device fit the first one.

An additional advice: remember to buy the "black" version, not the "white" one (the reading comfort depends on the colour of the box).

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 11-27-2012 at 08:29 PM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #64
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

(Something went wrong here ... this post is spurious ... I don't know how to delete it.)

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 11-27-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #65
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Sorry...mistake

Last edited by Randy11; 11-28-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #66
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice13 View Post
Your "opinion" is really not worth those "5 cents".
But you called this an "opinion", so let me tell you what truth is.
pepe_alter_ego is your customer, right? Is ArtaTech always treats theirs customers this way? Customer could be mistaken but it doesn't make his opinion (impression) worth nothing. Did you follow your own advice:
Quote:
think over first, then write
Quote:
more features, better licences and last but not least - tested before offered to users (we do have our testers and our policy is to test before any firmware launch - we do not use forum members as laboratory test mice).
More features doesn't mean better. What you mean by better licenses?
Have you included into your firmware new PDF reader, developed with participation of Booxtor? If you have how much bugs your testers found in it and how much was fixed before releasing the firmware?
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #67
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
snip
Well, I think you are somewhat being rude, but those covers do look very nice. I think I might get one, because mine (the Onyx one) is starting to fall apart.

Do you have some more pictures of the "Passion of Boox" and "Genuine leather" covers? I would especially like to see the padding.

Also - are you going to have the "Passion of Books" one made from real leather? And will the "Daytona" version be also available for the M92?
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #68
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Onyx International warranty is 1 year (12 months) (wherever you buy a device from). However onyx-boox.com or ArtaTech as an EU company is obliged by law to give additional 12 months (which makes total 24 months) guarantee that the device works correctly if not misused or damaged by user.
Hmmm. And, what about this:
https://www.onyx-boox.com/support/1-...-boox-warranty

And this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=48

So, what is the difference between 1st and second year from purchaser's poin of view? What your company will do, if display in M92 stops working the 2nd year and there is no visible damage by user?

And, if you sell outside the EU, for how long is the buyer covered against device failure? Does he has the same rights as the EU one?

And 2 voices for free? FAQ mentions only one - Amy.
https://www.onyx-boox.com/support/1-...-tts-supported
Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #69
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Hmmm. And, what about this:
https://www.onyx-boox.com/support/1-...-boox-warranty

And this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=48

So, what is the difference between 1st and second year from purchaser's poin of view? What your company will do, if display in M92 stops working the 2nd year and there is no visible damage by user?
That info is pretty much easily available with a Google search:
The warranty time as stated by European regulation means that during the first 6 months the seller has to prove that the device was not defective upon arival. Since that is pretty much impossible, the law assumes that if the device breaks during this time, it was already defective from the very start.
In the period after the first 6 months, you as a buyer have to prove that the device was defective from the start and that it is not you who is responsible.

Furthermore, that 24 month warranty is part of the contract between you ,the buyer, and the seller (the shop you got it from).

The guarantee on the other hand is a voluntary offer by the manufacturer, and therefore this is an arrangement between the buyer and the manufacturer (who might just delegate all the beaurocracy to the seller).

Those things are really very different.

Please note that I am not a lawyer, and neither is English my native language. So take the above with a grain of salt.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #70
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

Let me explain a couple of things.

I own a brand new Onyx BOOX M92 "Black Pearl" from ArtaTech which was delivered not even a week ago. Everything I say is based on my own experience.

In my previous post, I gave two web links to two covers in the ArtaTech's shop. Contrary to what "Maurice13" writes, the cheapest one is definitely NOT available for 19 Euro (just "click" the links yourself).
Note: one cannot find any information about weights of these covers -> well, the M92 devices itself is "pretty heavy", so I don't really want to add another "brick" to my wallet. I've seen some light (about 90 grams) neoprene covers, originally designed for the Apple iPad 2, and I think I will get one of these.

All written documents explicitly say ... 12 months warranty (I mean the documents that came with my device as well as these on ArtaTech's web pages).
The additional 12 months in the EU, that "Maurice13" mentions, are NOT a warranty -> as written by "mSSM", this only covers situations in which YOU can PROVE that there was something broken in your device from the very beginning (i.e. your device was defective upon arrival but you did not notice it up to now) -> it does NOT cover situations in which your device had been working o.k. and then simply broke.

According to "Maurice13", new devices from ArtaTech should come with TWO voices, one English and another one of one's choice. My device came with Polish only. Nobody asked me whether I wanted another language instead.
I would be very grateful if someone ("Maurice13"?) could point me to any place where I can download MY FREE VERSION of the "English Amy" (well, it's a one week old device, so I should have got it inside, in the first place).
I would also be happy to remove "Polish Agnieszka" from my device and install another language instead. "German Gretel" (or "German Hänsel"), please.

I don't know of any ArtaTech web page / shop which currently offers any additional voices / languages for 6.5 Euro. I took my 35 Euro estimation from a post in another forum (in which people were also asking how to get additional voices but there were no definite answers, just some ideas where one could try to get them from).

What concerns cloud services. I don't really care about "GoogleDrive", "Storino", nor the future "Dropbox" (the clouds that I might be interested in are not supported) -> I listed the two currently existing options so that people know what they can expect from the device NOW.

In my previous post, I gave a web link to the "Bookstore" shop. Just "click" it and see it yourself that it exists in Polish only (there's no button to switch to another language at all).
On my M92 device, I am using English as the "Language Locale Setting" and I still get all entries in "ONYX - Aktualnosci", "Categories" and "Recommendations" frames in Polish (note: I'm not talking about the language of the application itself but about the language of the "shop", also prices are always in Polish zloty only).
Note also: even if I use English, I might like to get books in another languages and there's no way to search the "shop" for books in a user specified language.

Last but not least ... the firmware.
Soon after I started my device for the first time I noticed that many things do not work properly. So I immediately (just several hours after I opened the box for the first time) installed the newest official ArtaTech's update ("Version 1.7 20120927"). But things were still bad. So ... while desperately looking for a solution, I found the Booxtor's firmware. I immediately noticed that I was NOT able to install it due to ArtaTech's firmware obstructions. Finally, I found the web page with the Mixed Firmware for I62/I62e/I62HD/A62/A62s/M92/M92s ArtaTech devices. Things are much better now, though still far from being perfect.

These are the facts.

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 11-29-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #71
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
i orered at arta tech, onyx-boox.com/. everything was ok and good. nice contact, before buying and after it. i sent the device back, after buying i found this page that said arta has not the latest firmware, and that booxstore and his shop is really managing the whole development in software and so. so i became afraid and quickly asked of return, which was no problem with money back within no time.

i like the idea of selling the device without cover and additional charger but then to a lower prize. i don't neet them. and arta has additional different covers to reasonable prize. they should mention to choose a cover from the accessoire, for, true, a big reader without a cover can be a bad thing.

i would not recommend the blach above the white onyx boox m92. the black is all black. it is a strong black. it means a strong contrast and it also gives you much fingerprints all over. the white leaves virtually no fingerprints and i like it better for the eyes. dont know, not that much contrast. and, white is white and black is black. i also like the white. it's a good white. it has quality. so i like the onyx boox m92.

Last edited by gris; 02-01-2013 at 08:31 AM.
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #72
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
US Onyx Dealer

US customers can buy the "Black" Onyx Boox M92 (compatible with Booxtor's firmware updates and patches) from the eBay seller all_cycle_world. They are based in Georgia, USA, and ship via USPS Priority Mail.

I purchased mine from there in December for $378 USD. The seller quickly responded to my inquiries and personally handled my order. My M92 shipped in a leather case and came with a wall charger, just like ereader-store.eu (Booxtor).

I have had no problems at all with this device and absolutely love it. I wonder if this dealer is somehow associated with Booxtor? I wish they would get other Onyx models in, like the new i62 HD, but alas they have no plans to do so.

Thanks so much for your support Booxtor. I will probably buy an i62 HD from you in the near future. Like other members have stated here, I want to support your efforts.

Last edited by Isles8008; 01-27-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #73
gris
Connoisseur

if buying from them, do you know where to find support in europe, guarantee, if anything happens? First I will have to contact onyx support, I guess, but then, has onyx service stations in europe or do I need to send it to US or China?
thank yyou..
Old 02-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #74
Mono
Mono

I am not sure, but I doubt there is something like Worldwide Warranty for Onyx products.

Most probably you will have to send it to the place where you bought it or to distributor they bought it from.

There are at least 3 countries in EU where are Onyx repair centers, as far as I know. Germany, Poland and Czech Republic (probably only M92).
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #75
gris
Connoisseur

worldwide warranty there should be, the question is where to get the repair from. but it is better, I think, to have a reseller near you, let him deal with the problem