Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Kindly suggest an author who never had a book made into a movie

Another thread had asked for books that have been made into movies. I'd like to know the most famous authors you can think of who have never had a movie adaptation made of one of their books.

I'll start it out by nominating Neal Stephenson. As far as I know, none of his books have been made into movies.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I am saying Steven Lyle Jordan even though you say most famous.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Anne McCaffrey! I'd love to see movies based on the Pern books. No doubt many of her other series and stand alone books would make good movies.

Andre Norton.

Tad Williams! Both the Otherland and Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn series could be blockbuster movies.

Mercedes Lackey. Extremely prolific writer, but as far as I'm aware none of her books have been made into movies.

R. A. Salvatore. Dark Elves!

Sheri S. Tepper. Grass and Raising the Stones would make great movies.

Brandon Sanderson, S. M. Stirling, Morgan Llywelyn, Gene Wolfe...
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Too easy; there's dozens of SF greats to list.
Movie SFX can't keep up with the imagination of a good writer.

Gordon Dickson. (Time Storm would be easily doable but it's short on explosions. )
Poul Anderson.
Edmund Hamilton.
Larry Niven.
Jerry Pournelle.
C.J. Cherryh.
Joan Vinge.
S.M. Stirling (ISLAND IN THE SEA OF TIME would make a cool movie.)
David Weber (not for lack of trying, though.)
E.E. Smith (I don't count the anime abomination.)
Frederik Pohl
Piers Anthony

The fantasy list would be at least as long.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
JMO, but seems to me that famous would mean that readers outside of a particular genre should be familiar with a writer, not just people that read lots of that genre. JMO of course.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Lois McMaster Bujold! (and if you don't read her, why not? she's got something for everyone, and does it exquisitely.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've always found it interesting that none of the romantic suspense books by Phyllis A. Whitney and Victoria Holt, and I believe only one by Mary Stewart, has been turned into a movie, not even a TV movie. Whitney's books especially just seem perfect for the Lifetime channel.

Last edited by Catlady; 02-16-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typo
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
never Lifetime! They ruined all the Nora Roberts books they touched... what they did to Blue Smoke was a travesty, and I couldn't bring myself to watch any of the others.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I was going to suggest Margaret Atwood, but they did make a Handmaid's Tale movie.

How about Salman Rushdie. I'd love a Satanic Verses movie.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I was going to suggest Margaret Atwood, but they did make a Handmaid's Tale movie.

How about Salman Rushdie. I'd love a Satanic Verses movie.
Great suggestion. I've heard Midnight's Children is supposed to be released in 2012. I believe the cast is mostly Indian, and much of it had to be shot in secret. I hope it makes it to the U.S.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
China Mieville (would be nearly impossible?)
Tom Rob Smith (Child 44 is screaming for a movie -- it was optioned by Ridley Scott, I believe, and then all info vanished)
Tana French (would her "literary endings" make people throw things at the screen?)

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Gordon Dickson. (Time Storm would be easily doable but it's short on explosions. )
Poul Anderson.
Edmund Hamilton.
Larry Niven.
Jerry Pournelle.
C.J. Cherryh.
Joan Vinge.
Frederik Pohl
Piers Anthony

One infodump of his would take up a whole movie.

I'd like to see Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion and later stories get the HBO Game of Thrones treatment, or maybe the same deal for Lynn Abby's Theives World.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Proud Legions by John Antal.
Although I think it would make a great movie. It is about another Korean War launched by the North Koreans. The author was a Col and Commanded Abrams in the Army.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ben Bova. Quite a number of his books would make great movies.

(And thanks for the mention, Duckie!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Gordon Dickson.
Poul Anderson.
Edmund Hamilton.
Larry Niven.
Jerry Pournelle.
C.J. Cherryh.
Joan Vinge.
Frederik Pohl
Piers Anthony

He had a cartoon adaptation called "The Flight of Dragons" that was based on his book "The Dragon and the George".

I would love to see William King's Trollslayer series made into a movie but it won't happen any time soon since Games-Workshop holds a tight fist on their IP.

I would also like to see a film adaptation of Carlos Castaneda "Don Jaun" series.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote