Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #106
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Those participating in the read The Iliad challenge may find this National Public Radio broadcast today of interest. You will have to check your local public radio station schedule to see if and when this will be broadcast. I can tell you that after about 3:00 p.m. CST today the program audio will be available as streaming download. Don't know if the download is available outside of the US?

Homer’s Iliad Retold

Love and war with Achilles, Hector, and Helen of Troy in a hot new telling of Homer’s epic “The Iliad.”
Old 01-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #107
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Those participating in the read The Iliad challenge may find this National Public Radio broadcast today of interest.
Terrific, thank you!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #108
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, I've started into my reading list with Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities and William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury. The first section of Faulkner was tough.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #109
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've started off the new year with two books from my TBR -- The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz, and one that is both on my TBR and also qualifies as a "classic" -- Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey. So we're doing well on the challenge sub-goals. Of course, it's always easy at this end of the challenge.

Last edited by CRussel; 01-02-2012 at 12:57 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #110
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm starting off with Pride and Prejudice. It's a continuation of my reading of the classics.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #111
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Finished Crime and Punishment yesterday, so that was my first finished book of 2012. Started Something Rotten, the fourth Thursday Next book by Jasper Fforde, as a light read to get me started in 2012.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #112
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just a note to say that I have at last decided on my 2012 challenge list, and have updated here to reflect this.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The GoodReads 2012 challenge is up for any who want to take advantage of it. It's x number of books in 2012. X being your choice and it helps keep track for you.

http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...ding-challenge
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #114
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The GoodReads 2012 challenge is up for any who want to take advantage of it. It's x number of books in 2012. X being your choice and it helps keep track for you.

http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...ding-challenge
Thanks. I've just joined.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #115
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I dropped one off my TBR already, but then I just got one new three book compilation of Charlie Salter books from the BC Library so I think that's a net loss. These will be a re-read, since I've read pretty much all of Eric Wright's books over the years, but it's been years and years since I read these and I'd like to read them again.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #116
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I started reading Swamplandia by Karen Russell, as it looked like a nice read and it happened to be available for borrowing in my library. I've added that to my post in the list thread. So far it looks interesting. I have a bunch of mobileread, project gutenberg, and smashwords books to keep my to-read list happy between library loans, too.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #117
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Just a note to say that I have at last decided on my 2012 challenge list, and have updated here to reflect this.
We might have been sipping the same pot of tea when we generated our lists. Updike, Auster. Best of luck clearing your requireds.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #118
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Not doing well with the not-buying portion of my challenge. I'm reading what I should be, but the TBR is growing, not shrinking. Now I'm not TOO upset at books from the Library contributing, but my favourite authors should NOT have a sale! That's just not fair.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #119
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

My favourite authors never go on sale. This is both a blessing and a curse.

My TBR pile has grown a lot the last month. Fortunately, all of it has been accumulations for my reading challenges this year. So while, it says I've got five months of reading accumlated it's (crosses fingers) all going to disappear as long as I stay on track with what I said I was going to read.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #120
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Best of luck clearing your requireds.
You too.