Old 06-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Happy 25th Pac-Man!!

From USA Today:

Quote:
For a video game, Pac-Man is getting downright old. The ghost-wary hero with an insatiable appetite for dots turns 25 this month. From the early 1980s Pac-Mania to today's endless sequels and rip-offs, the original master of maze management remains a bright yellow circle on the cultural radar....by Matt Slagle
Gosh, I'm old. I remember Pac-Man at my local pizza parlors with the sit-down video game and it always had a long line of people waiting to play. Every time I got up to play I completely sucked, died too quick, lost my precious quarter (a lot of money in those days), and had to go back to the end of the line while people laughed at my suckiness. It was so embarrassing and exhilirating at the same time. Especially exciting was watching people who dominated the game and showed us levels that we'd never see on our own. It was more addicting than crack (not like I know how great that must be.)

Pac-Man and Donkey Kong really birthed this $billion video game industry thatwe have today with dedicated video game programmer schools and dozens of print magazines (and even more websites offering cheats and such), and even cable channels devoted to video games (who buy-out the channels that try to cover the wide spectrum oftechnology just for the audience share. Grrr...)

Happy birthday, Pac-Man (and by extension, the simplicity of imagination)! Some of those old games were so much more elevating than the current dearth of first-person shooters.
POL9A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pacman.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	699  
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
Some of those old games were so much more elevating than the current dearth of first-person shooters.
No wonder the emulation scene took off the way it did. Nostalgia only carries you so far. Witness the slew of tv shows being released on dvd. I admit I sometimes get the urge to pick up that Knight Rider Season One set but I just know when I actually watch it I'll realize how crappy it was and that I only loved it because I was 12 when it was on tv

The games are different though. I've gone back and played old games I loved as a kid and some don't hold up but many do. Ms Pac Man (fast mode) in particular is probably my favorite game of all time. So many good games...Donkey Kong, Defender (I suck), Joust, Qix, Tempest...well you get the idea.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote