Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Kindle Email Supports PDF Conversion

Ok, don't know if this is general knowledge, but I just decided to try sending my kindle email a PDF to see what it did.

It was a chapter of the software development book "Beautiful Code", which i downloaded from my Oreilly safari account.

Well, sure enough after a minute, the file appeared on my kindle. And it converted over just fine. The text is formatted nicely and flows well and is perfectly readable. Also, so far the tables I've seen are included and seem to be readable and formatted in a way that is understandable.

So good news. I just wanted to make everyone aware of that. I know alot of people were worried about PDF. Overall, i would say this pdf converted file is probably cleaner than any I've managed to create for the sony reader from a pdf.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
sfernald
Zealot

Oh, I see there's a sticky about PDF conversion, so this is no big deal. Didn't notice that till just now.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
sfernald
Zealot

Wait, I take it back. I don't see anywhere on that thread where it talks about the PDF conversion via email.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Thanks! It's good to know. Hopefully that means other O'Reilly PDFs will reflow well. That would make me a happy woman.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is the original file marked for reflow? ie does it reflow in the desktop Acrobat Reader if you change the page size?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Interesting. A couple of questions: is the converted .azw file available for download from "Manage Your Kindle" at Amazon, and is the converted file locked to the Kindle or is it DRM-free?

Basically, I'm trying to get a feel for the usability of the Kindle outside of the US. If the pdf conversions are done well and can be downloaded without accessing Whispernet, then the value of the Kindle goes up quite a bit. Especially if the resulting .azw files can be read on other Mobipocket devices.

I'd be very interested to see how a complex pdf, for example a journal article with equations, tables, and graphs, is converted.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

The PDF itself determines a lot of how good the conversion will be. This is why Amazon won't make any promises about it and calls it "experimental". If the original PDF was not made to reflow the text or if the charts and such aren't as readable if they're smaller or in black and white then you won't get a good conversion.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
Interesting. A couple of questions: is the converted .azw file available for download from "Manage Your Kindle" at Amazon, and is the converted file locked to the Kindle or is it DRM-free?

Basically, I'm trying to get a feel for the usability of the Kindle outside of the US. If the pdf conversions are done well and can be downloaded without accessing Whispernet, then the value of the Kindle goes up quite a bit. Especially if the resulting .azw files can be read on other Mobipocket devices.

I'd be very interested to see how a complex pdf, for example a journal article with equations, tables, and graphs, is converted.
If you send the PDF to @free.kindle, the result will not be sent to the Kindle but to your Amazon username (email address). A link is provided in the email you receive. click on it to download to your computer.

There is no charge for conversion of you use @free.kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
sfernald
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
Can't find it anywhere for download in the "Manage Your Kindle" area, so I would say no, it is probably not available for download. I could probably use the "free" email and get it then though.

Also, I have no idea if the file has DRM, but I would be shocked if it did. Amazon doesn't really have any right to add DRM to my private files. I'm sure they would state this somewhere if this was their policy. I don't really think they are in love with DRM, that's just what is getting them in the sack right now with the content providers.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
sfernald
Zealot

So Alisa, you are a gadget junkie, a book lover and a software developer??

A girl after my own heart - someone I could actually have a conversation with for more than five minutes - good to know such women exist.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek

*blushes* Thanks! That's sweet.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
Also, I have no idea if the file has DRM, but I would be shocked if it did. Amazon doesn't really have any right to add DRM to my private files. I'm sure they would state this somewhere if this was their policy. I don't really think they are in love with DRM, that's just what is getting them in the sack right now with the content providers.
I take it they are using the AZW extension on the file. Try this. Get a copy of MobiPocket for your PC and then rename the extension to .mobi (may not be necessary) and see if it can be read. If so then there is no DRM. Please report back.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #13
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Anyone make the free address work? I tried it "xxx@free.kindle.com" but nothing has come back yet.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
Anyone make the free address work? I tried it "xxx@free.kindle.com" but nothing has come back yet.
Yes, it works.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Could someone with a Kindle try sending a "scanned" PDF to see if Amazon will attempt to convert to text with OCR? I can probably supply a journal article if you don't have something handy. I'm guessing Amazon will just turn the images into JPGs or some other graphic format, but one can dream.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote