Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Analyst claims Amazon has 90% ebook market share

From http://www.tbiresearch.com/amazon-se...e-books-2010-1

Quote:
Several publishers and distributors tell us that Amazon is currently selling upwards of 90% of all e-books sold.
The number seems US only, and probably only for ebooks from major publishing houses. But it's still significant. The rest of the article is mostly speculation.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
It would not surprise me though analyst are a dime a dozen and tend to talk out of their ass
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think I doubt that number.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
yeah

Yeah I have to agree that I am doubtful of the numbers. Maybe for the biggest publishing houses Amazon sells the most, but 90% seems awfully high to me.

Part of this doubt is that while Kindles are common there are so many other devices out there, Kindle does not have 90% of the ebook device market. Unless people who own kindles read way more than the rest of the ebook device users.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Even I don't believe that!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't know. It's certainly possible for a publisher to get 90% of its ebook revenue from Amazon, but if that were true then I would assume that the publisher wasn't trying all that hard to sell ebooks other than through Amazon.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Given how tightly Amazon is guarding any sales information regarding the Kindle and eBook sales, I'd be surprised if anyone (but Amazon) has a clear picture of what they truly have. I saw another analyst state matter-of-factly that Amazon sold over 2 million Kindles...but again, Amazon has not officially or unofficially released any sales data. And given they are the manufacturer and sole point of sales, its not like analysts can ask retailers, so I'm pretty skeptical of any claims at all, until Jeff Bezos comes out and says so in a financial statement
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Given how tightly Amazon is guarding any sales information regarding the Kindle and eBook sales, I'd be surprised if anyone (but Amazon) has a clear picture of what they truly have. I saw another analyst state matter-of-factly that Amazon sold over 2 million Kindles...but again, Amazon has not officially or unofficially released any sales data. And given they are the manufacturer and sole point of sales, its not like analysts can ask retailers, so I'm pretty skeptical of any claims at all, until Jeff Bezos comes out and says so in a financial statement
They are, of course, not the manufacturer. They are made by a Taiwanese company in China (was it Foxconn the Iphone/Ipod builders?). I am sure that it would be possible to get some data on Kindle production figures from there through various channels -- which doesn't mean the analyst actually did have it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
To me, those revenue figures seem extremely small.
So my guess would be, Amazon may have 90% market share of the revenue, that's actually transparent. But not the over all revenue.

Just a small calculation:
If I remember correctly, "Books on Board" states, average consumer spends $ 500 per year after having bought a reader from them.
2 million Kindles would equal $ 1 billion in eBook revenue. A gross mismatch to the $ 115 million mentioned in the article.

Let's try to get some idea about figures in this forum. I'll start a poll about spent.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Most people i know that actually pay for ebooks do go though amazon. Im not claiming anything, but I am sure they are at least in the running.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
the only people i know off this board with ebook readers own kindles, but i do note that targets have sold out sony ebook readers time and again, and walmart sells sony ebook readers and the opus, too. that's the same walmart who are selling more toys than toysrus, so i tend to doubt the analysts. besides, to really analyze something, you have to have figures. i would doubt the numbers the publishers would give out - IF they gave out any - because they seem to want to squash ebooks.

sony ebook readers have been around a lot longer than kindle, and there are a lot of sony readers out there.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
To me, those revenue figures seem extremely small.
So my guess would be, Amazon may have 90% market share of the revenue, that's actually transparent. But not the over all revenue.

Just a small calculation:
If I remember correctly, "Books on Board" states, average consumer spends $ 500 per year after having bought a reader from them.
2 million Kindles would equal $ 1 billion in eBook revenue. A gross mismatch to the $ 115 million mentioned in the article.

Let's try to get some idea about figures in this forum. I'll start a poll about spent.
There aren't 2 million Kindles out there. There might possibly be 1m, though.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do think this is a load of manure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #14
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
I would be quite prepared to believe that Amazon has 90% of .Mobi sales.

And if as a publisher I only release ebooks as .mobi, then presto 90% of all my sales are through amazon.

I very much doubt that 90% of Ebook's read/owned come through amazon.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #15
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
So Amazon sell 9 ebooks for every 1 that Fictionwise/Diesel/cyberread/B&N/Waterstones sell? I just don't see that. I don't think that the market has expanded that much!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote