Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Lord of the Rings?
i thought it was harry potter.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #47
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow. you just never give up, do you ?
No, not really.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
So, I read this book once... There was this guy and he was hot for this woman... There was a car, too.
Is there music in the background...

Boom chicka boom wah wah...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #49
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
i thought it was harry potter.
Ahh, you may be right...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #50
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
So, I read this book once... There was this guy and he was hot for this woman... There was a car, too.
Christine by Stephen King.........
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #51
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
2 books:

- The story is about a girl and a boy and a fence...it's during a war and they're people who are eating other humans "purples" and others who are not or something like that. The boy and girl communicate through the fence; I don't think they ever meet. Something about XZ27...at one point a small boy is approaching a group of people and they have meat cooking over a fire but he is yanked back at the last minute by another boy who warns him that the meat he is seeing used to be another little boy...*sigh* I read this years ago and I've tried to find it ever since.

2nd book is about a family who moves to a farm-like place to try to fix their marriage and they unwittingly bring about a plague of locusts with them. The locusts eat everything, including people and livestock. The next-door-neighbour (who the husband was having an affair with) gets eaten and they find her skeletal remains and her strawberry hair attached to them once the locusts population goes down [either fire or birds ends up getting rid of them]. It's part romance and part horror, I read it a while ago but everytime I google "plague of locusts who eat people" I get...well everything but this particular book.

Any help?
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #52
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'm trying to find the name of a book that I havn't read but which I've seen in the bookstore, but I didn't have the money for it at the time. Then when I went back for it I realised that I didn't know what it was called, or the name of the author. So this is as much as I remember from the description;

The main character (whose name escapes me) returns to the house were he grew up after having gone through a very rough time in his life (divorce and arguments about the kid if I remember correctly???). But when he arrives at the house he grew up in and enters it, he discoveres to his shock that his mother, whose been dead for several years is there, acting as though she's never been gone.

Basicly it's some kind of psychological fiction book. Any ideas anyone?
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #53
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale View Post
- The story is about a girl and a boy and a fence...it's during a war and they're people who are eating other humans "purples" and others who are not or something like that. The boy and girl communicate through the fence; I don't think they ever meet. Something about XZ27...at one point a small boy is approaching a group of people and they have meat cooking over a fire but he is yanked back at the last minute by another boy who warns him that the meat he is seeing used to be another little boy...*sigh* I read this years ago and I've tried to find it ever since.
Possibly "Brother in the Land" by Robert Swindells?

You seem to have a very...uhm...interesting taste in reading.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #54
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I have been trying to find a Sci Fi story. Creatures living on what at first appears to be a planet but as we follow their evolution we find out they live on a star. They hunt and are hunted and have difficulty moving in some directions due to the intense magnetic field. They evolve and their life cycle takes on a metamorphic stage. They are very short lived, about 15 minutes but live in such a high energy state that they live what seems them a full life span. At some point humans become aware of them and contact is made.

Cannot remember author title or publisher but for me that is pretty normal.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #55
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
This one is a movie and the details are sketchy. It is in Spanish, the action takes place mostly in Cuba. A young boy is taken by his father from Castro's Cuba to Miami. After he grows up and his father dies, he sets out to find his mother. He goes to Cuba and hooks up with a cab driver and they travel all over hellandgone looking for his mother. The ultimate scene is where they are sitting in what they belieive to be her house and a small figure is seen walking slowly towards the camera. Driving me nuts, trying to come up with the name of that movie...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #56
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I have been trying to find a Sci Fi story. Creatures living on what at first appears to be a planet but as we follow their evolution we find out they live on a star.
Dragon's Egg, by Robert Forward?

Quote:
This one is a movie and the details are sketchy. It is in Spanish, the action takes place mostly in Cuba. A young boy is taken by his father from Castro's Cuba to Miami. After he grows up and his father dies, he sets out to find his mother. He goes to Cuba and hooks up with a cab driver and they travel all over hellandgone looking for his mother. The ultimate scene is where they are sitting in what they belieive to be her house and a small figure is seen walking slowly towards the camera. Driving me nuts, trying to come up with the name of that movie...
The Phantom Menace?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #57
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
The Phantom Menace?

Cheers,
Marc
LOL, I just watched that the other night.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #58
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Italo Svevo ?

Quote:
i *think* it was an italian author, but it was not Pirandello (i'm 99% sure). I'm pretty sure it was a novel, but it may have been a play, definitely in the absurdist theater style. it was not by ionesco either (but it could have been ; it would make a brilliant companion piece to "Rhinoceros"). it might have been written around the 1950's or 1960's (this is a guess).
Sounds like a book by Italo Svevo, but I can't seem to remember which.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #59
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Ohh, maybe somebody here can help me!

There was this book, I read when I was 11 or 12.

I hardly remember the story, but one fact did stick in my mind.

It was about a boy, a slave, who escaped his slavery. He had a medallion, it was his and it proved he was some kind of king (I think it was) in some faraway land. I don't really remember the story, except that that medallion was very important.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #60
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
Sounds like a book by Italo Svevo, but I can't seem to remember which.
hmm, thank you for the suggestion. i looked a bit at some descriptions, i can see why you would think of him, but so far i've not found a story that seems to correspond. also i think it may have been a bit later than when he was writing, but i could be wrong about that. but i appreciate the suggestion very much, particularly as Svevo looks like a very interesting writer to discover !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths