Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
cssutils

Did something bad happen to the cssutils module?

I just installed calibre v3.37 and now every plugin I use which manipulates CSS is inaccessible.

I tried to revert to my older run-from-source calibre, which I last updated about a week ago. Unfortunately this doesn't work either. This is the error message I got when I tried to start up my run-from-source version
Code:
calibre, version 3.36.0
ERROR: Startup error: There was an error during calibre startup. Parts of calibre may not function. Click Show details to learn more.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 289, in initialize_db_stage2
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 228, in start_gui
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 157, in __init__
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 171, in init_iaction
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 612, in load_actual_plugin
  File "importlib\__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\actions\catalog.py", line 13, in <module>
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\tools.py", line 16, in <module>
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\convert\single.py", line 18, in <module>
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\convert\look_and_feel.py", line 13, in <module>
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\convert\look_and_feel_ui.py", line 290, in <module>
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\gui2\css_transform_rules.py", line 13, in <module>
  File "D:\JS_git_devel\cal\src\calibre\ebooks\css_transform_rules.py", line 11, in <module>
ImportError: No module named cssutils.css
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Perhaps it has to do with this change: Switch from cssutils to css-parser.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Perhaps it has to do with this change: Switch from cssutils to css-parser.
Well spotted! Thank you for that. At least I know it isn't something I did by accident. Did I miss some sort of announcement?

I think I'll wait for the dust to settle before setting out on a mammoth plugin editing session.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Well spotted! Thank you for that. At least I know it isn't something I did by accident. Did I miss some sort of announcement?
I only noticed because I regularly check the calibre GitHub for changes.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You just need to do a global search and replace for cssutils changing it to css_parser and you will be fine. Apologies, I neglected to mention this change in the changelog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and some background on the change: cssutils is no longer maintained so the developers of Sigil (which also uses it) and I are collaborating to maintain it as a new fork called css_parser.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oh and some background on the change: cssutils is no longer maintained so the developers of Sigil (which also uses it) and I are collaborating to maintain it as a new fork called css_parser.
Much appreciated, I don't know what I'd do without some of its functions.

Did the old owners just lose interest or is some new CSS utility on the horizon?
Old 01-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There have been multiple bugs opened against cssutils for years some even with attached patches that have not been merged. The original owners lost interest a while back, there was a new maintainer and he also lost interest a couple of years ago.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

So will css_parser be maintained just for calibre/Sigil purposes or are you planning to offer a service for the rest of the world?
Old 01-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's open source, anyone who wants to can use it. Like all the various other bits of calibre infrastructure I maintain, such as html5-parser, rapydscript, mechanize, python2, unrardll, dukpy, etc. etc.