Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
ururk
ururk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Kobo ePub formatting and 'entire library' questions

I'm awaiting receipt of a Kobo Forma, and this is my first introduction to an e-ink reader. Been wanting one for a while now, am tired of reading books on my iPhone tethered to a power brick

I had two questions that have been bugging me, with one I cannot answer until my Forma arrives.

1) I have a variety of e-books in different formats - have moved them all to calibre. Several were from the publishers own sites in html format (ie, Baen's free ebook library). I spent some time figuring out how to import in such a way to auto-generate a TOC using headings. Anyhow, I did some limited css editing to change the format a bit on some of them, but the formatting is all over the place.

Does Kobo render ePubs with your Kobo-specific settings on the device, or are the ePub styles used? Specifically, I prefer spaces between paragraphs, left justification. Or do I have to edit each e-book to strip out overriding styles?

2) I opted for the 8GB as I usually read one book at a time, and if I were to go on a trip would really only read two books at most. But I'm curious as to why people like to carry their entire library with them.

Thanks!

John

Last edited by ururk; 12-30-2018 at 02:11 PM.
ururk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
ururk

Oh, and one other question...

I plan on sewing a felt sleeve for it, but will I want/need a screen protector? I'm generally pretty good with my devices, so I'm not overly worried but I saw them popping up on Amazon so was curious if they were a good idea or not. I generally dislike added layers on a touchscreen.
Advert
Old 12-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ururk View Post
I'm awaiting receipt of a Kobo Forma, and this is my first introduction to an e-ink reader. Been wanting one for a while now, am tired of reading books on my iPhone tethered to a power brick

I had two questions that have been bugging me, with one I cannot answer until my Forma arrives.

1) I have a variety of e-books in different formats - have moved them all to calibre. Several were from the publishers own sites in html format (ie, Baen's free ebook library). I spent some time figuring out how to import in such a way to auto-generate a TOC using headings. Anyhow, I did some limited css editing to change the format a bit on some of them, but the formatting is all over the place.
For Baen's free library, I'd suggest re-downloading in epub format. For other books, I have spent quite a few hours editing ebooks whose formatting is so bad that I find it painful to read them.

Quote:
Does Kobo render ePubs with your Kobo-specific settings on the device, or are the ePub styles used? Specifically, I prefer spaces between paragraphs, left justification. Or do I have to edit each e-book to strip out overriding styles?
Kobo's ereaders will use the styles embedded in the epub. For instance, a fixed line height will override the line height slider while the margin slider can increase the margins set in the epub but not reduce them. To get the ebook to match your requirements will require editing. What you will find is that many of the edits are repetitive and saved search/replace makes it much faster.

There have been several near religious arguments over respecting the publisher's embedded styles vs. allowing the user to override everything.

Quote:
2) I opted for the 8GB as I usually read one book at a time, and if I were to go on a trip would really only read two books at most. But I'm curious as to why people like to carry their entire library with them.
I suspect the real answer is because we can. Personally, I like having quite a few books available as options when I finish a book since a average book takes only 1.5-2 hours. I also keep quite a few manuals and other reference materials on my ereaders. The iPad Pro is better for PDFs but the Kobo works in an emergency.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, and one other question...

I plan on sewing a felt sleeve for it, but will I want/need a screen protector? I'm generally pretty good with my devices, so I'm not overly worried but I saw them popping up on Amazon so was curious if they were a good idea or not. I generally dislike added layers on a touchscreen.
I would not recommend a screen protector even if you could find one for your Forma. The only screen protector I've seen used on a Kobo was a Glo and that protector had a very glossy finish making it hard to read outdoors. OTOH, keeping it in a cover is a very good idea. My preference is the Kobo cover for the sleep function, the ability to place the reader on the table when I don't feel like holding it in my hand and the protection it offers when the ereader is accidentally dropped/knocked off the table/whatever.

For your sewn cover, I'd recommend embedding at least one stiff layer to protect the screen during transport.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
ururk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For your sewn cover, I'd recommend embedding at least one stiff layer to protect the screen during transport.
Got it! I was thinking I'd have a patch of soft material (velour?) on the portion that the screen contacts, but will include a sheet of plastic in-between that and the felt. Maybe I'll order a cover for it eventually, but I want to see how much I like the Kobo first.
Advert
Old 12-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #6
ururk

Quote:
For Baen's free library, I'd suggest re-downloading in epub format. For other books, I have spent quite a few hours editing ebooks whose formatting is so bad that I find it painful to read them.
Unfortunately the few I had saved are no longer listed on their site, and I only downloaded the html. But I only spent a day collecting, editing, and tweaking everything (not just Baen e-books) so not a huge loss of time.

Quote:
Kobo's ereaders will use the styles embedded in the epub. For instance, a fixed line height will override the line height slider while the margin slider can increase the margins set in the epub but not reduce them. To get the ebook to match your requirements will require editing. What you will find is that many of the edits are repetitive and saved search/replace makes it much faster.
Which BBEdit is excellent for (text factories), though I normally use Sublime Text. Calibre's editor is painful to use... and I'm still not entirely sure how it doles out CSS classes when bring in html files.

Quote:
There have been several near religious arguments over respecting the publisher's embedded styles vs. allowing the user to override everything.
When I get a paper book I don't have a choice, so in that respect I have to leave it alone... but if given a choice I think it's worth reformatting provided no intent was lost with the reformatting. In some books that I've read type was used both as words and design, so obviously in a book like that you shouldn't mess with the formatting. To me design is subjective, and at the whim of the graphic artist (unless the author is really really specific, which I would hope would be obvious).

Quote:
There have been several near religious arguments I suspect the real answer is because we can. Personally, I like having quite a few books available as options when I finish a book since a average book takes only 1.5-2 hours. I also keep quite a few manuals and other reference materials on my ereaders. The iPad Pro is better for PDFs but the Kobo works in an emergency.
I no longer have an iPad, never used it much (just for games, reading wasn't pleasant). I usually use my laptop for PDF manuals, but I'm really curious how well they will display on the Kobo. I've heard PDF viewing isn't the greatest experience, and might require reformatting for the screen, but for my needs might be sufficient. It might give me the impetus to scan all of my (vintage) power tool manuals, but then I'll regret getting the 8GB model!
Old 12-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
Boneist
Enthusiast
Boneist doesn't litterBoneist doesn't litterBoneist doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Regarding your second question: for me, having all my ebooks on my ereader is convenient.

I have ~1600 books in my elibrary, of which nearly 200 are in my to-be-read pile. So, when I finish a book, I like to have all my tbr books available for me to read. Also, I will reread books (e.g. if a new book in a series comes out, and I read the previous book in the series a while back), so I like to have previously read books on hand too.

On average, I read at least 150 books a year, so having to wait until I can get to my computer to load up the next book would be very painful! So I keep everything on the ereader purely for my convenience!

YMMV, of course!
Boneist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:

I no longer have an iPad, never used it much (just for games, reading wasn't pleasant). I usually use my laptop for PDF manuals, but I'm really curious how well they will display on the Kobo. I've heard PDF viewing isn't the greatest experience, and might require reformatting for the screen, but for my needs might be sufficient. It might give me the impetus to scan all of my (vintage) power tool manuals, but then I'll regret getting the 8GB model!
I have a Kobo Aura One, patched for landscape (and many others reasons), Forma already supports landscape. With landscape I can read pdf, You may need to crop borders sometime (may be often), but You should have a decent, not perfect but acceptable, reading experience for most pdf.

Of course none of the readers with a less than 10" screen is the best choice for pdf.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I'm curious as to why people like to carry their entire library with them.
Why not?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:33 PM   #10
ururk

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Why not?
No particular reason, I was mostly curious. I guess my question was tempered by how I tend to read books - once - then move onto the next. I've never re-read previously read books (intentionally), with the exception of some short stories.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Easy I Hate Duplicates. Calibre will mark the ones I have Before I load them & a Quick check in the authors files on the ereader lets me see IF I already own Before I buy.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:38 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
No particular reason, I was mostly curious. I guess my question was tempered by how I tend to read books - once - then move onto the next. I've never re-read previously read books (intentionally), with the exception of some short stories.
Whereas I will go back and re-read an old favourite or when buying the latest book in a series, I'll go back and re-read at least part of the series. Just don't ask how many times I've re-read Three Men in a Boat over the decades.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
ururk

Quote:
Whereas I will go back and re-read an old favourite or when buying the latest book in a series, I'll go back and re-read at least part of the series. Just don't ask how many times I've re-read Three Men in a Boat over the decades.
I really like this suggestion - there are several series books where I've read the first, but the library never had the remaining in the series and it's been many years... might give it a try, even if I just skim them first.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #14
ururk

It arrived! I loaded all of my books (but plan to remove as I read). Has the dark strip along the edge. I have mixed feelings about it, but will live with it. It looks like a lighting defect, but depending on the lighting level is more - or less - visible.

Last edited by ururk; 01-02-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
kepub is ALWAYS a better choice than epub on Kobo devices. Use Calibre for the conversion
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote