Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #16
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
I am in the same boat - I have a Voyage but am seriously looking at the Oasis 2.
Did you get the trade-in deal through Amazon US? I am based in Switzerland, so would need to order through Amazon DE, wonder if they do any trade-ins as well...
Just an update, after using my Kindle for about 3-5 hours / day, I decided to give the Oasis 2 a go and ordered one. Should be here on Friday, right in time for my weekend reading!

I’ll give it a week or so and then decide if it’s worth to keep or if I should stick with the Voyage instead
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #17
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I had a voyage and have an oasis.
- For me the biggest difference is that the voyage didn't support text-to-speech. The Oasis does through bluetooth.
Does it actually have TTS, or do you mean the voice view feature where it reads everything on screen?

The voyage supports voice view too, but requires a USB dongle because it has no Bluetooth.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #18
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
I went from Voyage (6") -> Oasis 1 (6") -> Oasis 2 (7")

The Voyage I always liked the way the Amazon stand could prop it up for reading. I have had a bunch of eReaders and I have found the color temp on them to be variable across just about all models and with some other brands as well. Just cause one person says there Model X is more warm in terms of color temp and their Model Y is more cool in terms of color temp doesn't mean yours will be the same.

The 7" screen on the Oasis 2 is really nice... the extra real estate is great. I like the page turn buttons too. There is nothing really wrong with the pressure sensor buttons on the Voyage though.

However:
- The Voyage can fit in quite a few more pockets, Amazon nailed the minimum footprint for the 6" screen on this one.

- The Oasis covers from Amazon have all been pretty flawed. I have a Fintie one now that's a lot nicer & cheaper than the Amazon ones. The Fintie ones cover the whole back and they have an Origami type stand built in like the Voyage covers. Something to keep in mind as the Amazon covers are very expensive and pretty terrible. IIRC the Amazon cover has been discontinued for the Oasis 2.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #19
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post

- The Oasis covers from Amazon have all been pretty flawed. I have a Fintie one now that's a lot nicer & cheaper than the Amazon ones. The Fintie ones cover the whole back and they have an Origami type stand built in like the Voyage covers. Something to keep in mind as the Amazon covers are very expensive and pretty terrible. IIRC the Amazon cover has been discontinued for the Oasis 2.
I ordered the Oasis 2 with the blue Amazon cover - wonder how it will be then
Do you have a link to the Fintie case you mention? I do love the Origami case on my Voyage and use it quite frequently at home.

Who knows, maybe in a week I'll return the Oasis 2 and will have new-found appreciation for the Voyage! Let's see, the Oasis 2 arrives on Friday
Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #20
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I too have both, and in my case the two screens are equally good. An example of the individual variation in eInk screens. I far prefer the larger screen of the Oasis, although I'm a big fan of the "haptic sensors" of the Voyage. The Voyage is definitely far more "portable".
About the screens, yeah. It's frustrating - I wish I was one of those patient enough to spend weeks sending units back and forth to get a perfect one. On the bright side, I seem to buy pretty much every flagship e-reader that comes out, so it shouldn't be too long before I get to roll the dice again.

I use the Oasis 2 as my portable reader, due to its waterproofing, 32GB storage, and larger screen (this makes it more convenient than the Voyage for reading PDFs). As such, I also use it as my e-reader for doing research for essays, which will involve jumping in and out of many ebooks and PDF documents. The Oasis 2 used to suffer from huge delays when adding books to collections (which I use extensively for my research)... that seems to have been fixed now.

While I generally prefer physical buttons, I expected more of a premium feel, considering the price. Still, they are great for when I need to several pages forward or back, and I find the Oasis 2 very fast at turning pages. Unlike on the Voyage, the Oasis buttons work in landscape mode, which is my default reading orientation.

Last edited by Braid; 01-18-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 AM   #21
azt33
Connoisseur

Having used the Oasis 2 since Friday, I have finished 2 books and read a novel on it. Even though in the beginning I was ok with, but I don't particularly like the weight being lump sided - I tend to change holding hands frequently when reading, so the Voyage is more comfortable.
The screen is great, the extra inch does make it easier to read - but it's not a must-have for me, as it seems to me that the Voyage screen is just as good, even side by side.

But my dealbreaker with the Oasis 2 is the battery life... After being used to the Voyage for so many years, I thought I could handle less battery life. But this is pretty bad!
I think I'll give it a go for another week or so, but it looks like the Oasis 2 is going back... And I go back to the Voyage!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #22
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I don't particularly like the weight being lump sided - I tend to change holding hands frequently when reading, so the Voyage is more comfortable.
Interesting: that was my justification for switching to an Oasis (1) back in the day. (You do have to flip it upside down as you switch hands, though, or it's damn uncomfortable.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #23
azt33
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Interesting: that was my justification for switching to an Oasis (1) back in the day. (You do have to flip it upside down as you switch hands, though, or it's damn uncomfortable.)
I have pretty bad RSI and carpal tunnel syndrome in my dominant hand, so if I have been reading 30-40 min, I tend to switch every 5-10 mins. It gets kinda annoying to keep on switching if I want to read for a longer period of time

I do like the buttons though! But I also LOVE the Amazon origami case I have for the Voyage, much better than Amazon's Oasis 2 case.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #24
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I have pretty bad RSI and carpal tunnel syndrome in my dominant hand, so if I have been reading 30-40 min, I tend to switch every 5-10 mins. It gets kinda annoying to keep on switching if I want to read for a longer period of time
Mine is bad enough that I have to switch even when reading paper books (which are often much heavier than an Oasis!). I don't even notice switching any more.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #25
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
Thumbs up

i prefer the kindle oasis (2 ) to the voyage.

because

while the voyage does have the "buttons" for turning the page back ad forward . they are only touch sensitive and i had a lot of trouble using the as i couldnt find them. , especilly in the dark.

i know the screen is touch sensitive but i prefer to press the buttons when i read a book on my kindle, and the touch sensitive buttons are not back lit either.

i brought the voyage when it first came out for the buttons and touch screen option as well as the screen being lit up.

i love it.

but the oasis ( 2) does it so much better the buttons are there and there not sensors , they are buttons , you still have the option of touch screen.

you can revers the buttons so the bottom button is now forward on my kindle insted of the top button

you can create your own setting profile and have access to good reads which tracks what books you have brought or read from Amazon.

you can have the time show on your oasis as well

the version i have dosent have the cover with the battery built in it .
and it has blue tooth

i only had it today and im impressed

you wont regret getting the oasis ! it the best the screen is so crisp and clear.

it also has built it in audble as well as a 7 inch screen which believe me makes the books and comics just so much more easier to read than on the voyage

im really happy i held out for the oasis ( v2 ) which has only just come out.

and i dont regret paying £329.99

Last edited by sian; 01-25-2019 at 05:15 PM.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #26
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Right device for right purpose

The Voyager is slightly sharper but feels a bit more rugged and fits in a pocket. The Oasis 2 has a bigger screen much larger storage (32 on mine) and holds nicely in one hand. I generally read the Oasis 2 except when I am going somewhere that fitting in the pocket matters. Still either is a great device.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:39 AM   #27
azt33
Connoisseur

Fully agree Stingo! The Voyage feels definitely more rugged, just wish it was waterproof. Would have been perfect for me then.
I bought the 32GB version of Oasis 2 as well, but even the 4GB of the Voyage was actually more than enough for me.

I am still not sure if I would want to have two devices (I am more a "one device"-kinda gal ). Do you guys read one book on one device? How do you divide the books or keep it up to date?
Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
I am still not sure if I would want to have two devices (I am more a "one device"-kinda gal ). Do you guys read one book on one device? How do you divide the books or keep it up to date?
I have one Oasis 2, two Voyages, a tablet, and a phone, and I read on all of them. The Oasis is upstairs in my bedroom so that I can read in the dark with black/white inverted. One Voyage is downstairs for daytime reading, and the other at work for lunch hour reading. The tablet I only occasionally use, but my phone is always with me so if I get stuck in a supermarket or bank line, I can read a few pages. I read the same book on all of my devices and simply remember the chapter number or search for a unusual phrase in order to manually sync my reading location.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #29
azt33
Connoisseur

Quick update - I have decided to return the Oasis 2, the Voyage does what I need and I am still quite happy with it. I also appreciate the non-metal back, as I was getting paranoid about scratches and dings. Don't have that issue with the Voyage.

I'll wait and see what the next generation will bring, but for me, the Voyage is still my favourite device!