Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What friendly book will we read in June?
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian 7 53.85%
A Catskill Eagle by Robert B. Parker 3 23.08%
My Brilliant Friend by Elana Ferrante 5 38.46%
Absolute Friends by John Le Carré 6 46.15%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 8 61.54%
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman 4 30.77%
Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery 5 38.46%
The Little White Bird by J.M. Barrie 6 46.15%
The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff 2 15.38%
Truth and Beauty: A Friendship by Ann Patchett 3 23.08%
Greyfriars Bobby by Eleanor Atkinson 3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Does anyone know what translations the various audiobook versions use? The only one I can find info on is the Bill Homewood-narrated Naxos version, translated by William Barrow. I've checked World Cat, but I'm not seeing translators listed.
The Simon Vance and Michael Page versions also are the Barrow translation. The John Lee version is not Barrow; perhaps William Robson? Both obviously are public domain; Barrow is 1846 and Robson is 1895. I can check to see if the Lee is by Robson at some point today.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
There is a new translation available by Lawrence Ellsworth who did the translation of The Red Sphinx a couple of years ago. (The Red Sphinx is a direct sequel to The Three Musketeers, but follows Cardinal Richelieu, Queen Anne, King Louis and the Comte de Moret.)

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Muskete...6046297&sr=1-1
Wow, this one really is brand spanking new. Thanks for the heads up. Even though I plan to listen, I had also thought of picking up the Pevear translation so I could read the naughty bits, but now I don't know.
Advert
Old 05-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #18
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
A quick Google leads me to believe that the Pevear translation is the better one. Looks like I am next in line for the book at my library via Overdrive.

Meanwhile, I am almost finished reading this month's selection and boy, what a doozy of a post do I have brewing.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Simon Vance and Michael Page versions also are the Barrow translation. The John Lee version is not Barrow; perhaps William Robson? Both obviously are public domain; Barrow is 1846 and Robson is 1895. I can check to see if the Lee is by Robson at some point today.
Thanks. I have the Lee version, but there's no indication of the translator in the credits. I was reading this article about the different translations, which makes the Robson version seem much preferable to the Barrow one.

LibriVox is using the Robson translation, but it's using different narrators for different chapters, and I generally hate that.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks. I have the Lee version, but there's no indication of the translator in the credits. I was reading this article about the different translations, which makes the Robson version seem much preferable to the Barrow one.
I've got Lee, also, and it's the Robson.

I'm glad. I think Lee is a wonderful narrator and while I love Simon Vance, I hear him to death.
Advert
Old 05-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've got Lee, also, and it's the Robson.

I'm glad. I think Lee is a wonderful narrator and while I love Simon Vance, I hear him to death.
Great, thanks. I like them both, but would prefer the Robson translation, so I guess I'm all set.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #22
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Does anyone know which translation the feedbooks/PG one is? It doesn't give the translator (unless I missed it)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've got the Lee in my Library, but in looking (and listening) to some others, I'm intrigued by the Walter Covell one. It appears to possibly be the Pevear translation (at least the audiobook is co-listed with the kindle book of the Pevear version on Amazon.) However, there doesn't appear to be any way to actually tell whose translation it is, short of buying and comparing. (This is, by the way, REALLY ANNOYING!)
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've got the Lee in my Library, but in looking (and listening) to some others, I'm intrigued by the Walter Covell one. It appears to possibly be the Pevear translation (at least the audiobook is co-listed with the kindle book of the Pevear version on Amazon.) However, there doesn't appear to be any way to actually tell whose translation it is, short of buying and comparing. (This is, by the way, REALLY ANNOYING!)
It can't be Pevear, since it antedates Pevear. It's another really annoying thing at Amazon, where books are linked even though the editions/publishers are different. My rule of thumb with translations, btw, is that when the narration is of a translation in copyright, the translator is listed along with the author. FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Does anyone know which translation the feedbooks/PG one is? It doesn't give the translator (unless I missed it)
Right now I'm so confused it may be Classics Comics after all. The Gutenberg version seems to match the one I downloaded at Google Play, which explicitly says it's the Robson version. I haven't found any confirmation, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a rogue Jack in this house of cards I've constructed matching translators to translations!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It can't be Pevear, since it antedates Pevear. It's another really annoying thing at Amazon, where books are linked even though the editions/publishers are different. My rule of thumb with translations, btw, is that when the narration is of a translation in copyright, the translator is listed along with the author. FWIW.
If they'd just provide a full copyright page, one would have a decent chance. But apparently that's too much to hope for. The Covell narration is still of interest, from a quick listen to it. OTOH, I already have the Lee, so not sure I want to waste a credit on it. Especially since I'm most likely to read rather than listen, given it's >20 hours long and listening time is in a bit of short supply right now.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #26
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
OK so it looks like there are (at least) two similar versions out there. There's this one which is published by George Routledge & Sons, 1878. It doesn't give the translator, but the text is similar to the PG one.

The later looks like an update/revision of the former.

For example the preface in the Routledge one refers to "Bibliothèque Royal" whereas the PG refers to "the Royal Library". Or in chapter one, we have "the bourg of Meung" v "the market-town of Meung". Otherwise those respective sentences are the same. And there were other examples.

Wikisource has a copy from the PG text, and their talk page about it claims it is the "1894 Robson translation" based on various links only some of which still work.

This appears to be the same text but is dated 1893.

So I'm pretty convinced that these two versions are related, and one is claimed to be a Robson translation. So for the purposes of my Calibre library and to distinguish it from the Pevear 2006 I'm going to label it as Robson.

Last edited by latepaul; 05-11-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: clarity
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The Hobson translation, which is based on the Pevear, is another modern translation, and more reasonably priced than the only copy of the Pevear that I found. I might well go with the Hobson. At £1.99 it's not expensive, and appears to avoid the Bowdlerization of the Robson and and Barrow ones. There's also an Ellsworth translation, but it's too expensive to justify, given that the Hobson one is cheap and the Victorian ones free.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #28
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

There's a Robson AND a Hobson? Oh Lordy.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #29
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The Hobson translation, which is based on the Pevear, is another modern translation, and more reasonably priced than the only copy of the Pevear that I found. I might well go with the Hobson. At £1.99 it's not expensive, and appears to avoid the Bowdlerization of the Robson and and Barrow ones. There's also an Ellsworth translation, but it's too expensive to justify, given that the Hobson one is cheap and the Victorian ones free.
Thank you for that information. The Hobson version sounds like a reasonable choice.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks for this discussion on the various translations. My library has the Pevear, so it sounds as if that is a good one to go with.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote