Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I would like to nominate Willoughbyland by Matthew Parker. It's the story of a 'lost colony' in the 17th century.
Unfortunately, it's $13.99 at Amazon US. One of those geographic issues with searching, obviously. I'll fix the link. That said, I'd really like to read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Is there a list somewhere of previous reads that can't be nominated? I'm tempted to nominate All Quiet on the Western Front, but I seem to remember it being a winner once, I didn't read it then and have wanted to. Any WWI novel would be a classic 'doomed to repeat' selection, with WWII right around the corner. But it also occurs to me that it might be a better selection in August, war, what' s it good for.

If I thought it had a chance, I'd nominate War and Peace, I'd reread it again. Seems to be some mild interest.
I'm tempted to nominate a book about the Great War; this is the centenary year of the Armistice for the "War to End All Wars."

Don't know what to say about War and Peace. I'd be in, but I see the issue.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #17
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
drofgnal, look in the thread Information and Book Selections for the New Leaf Bookclub. In there you will find a spreadsheet that you can search by author or title or date, listing all those books which have been selected by the Clubs in the past five years, and which are therefore not eligible.

I once read War and Peace in two weeks while travelling by sea from England to Australia, because the weather was awful and there was nothing else to do but read! For a book club, we would probably need to select it for several months away I suspect!

ETA: Sorry, I missed the replies by latepaul and gmw to the query on where to look.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #18
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Unfortunately, it's $13.99 at Amazon US. One of those geographic issues with searching, obviously. I'll fix the link. That said, I'd really like to read this.
Oh thanks. That's really annoying. That means I don't have a good way of searching Amazon US. I note the price is the same as at Kobo US which should have been a clue.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh thanks. That's really annoying. That means I don't have a good way of searching Amazon US. I note the price is the same as at Kobo US which should have been a clue.
I'll follow up with a second for Willoughbyland.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
The best tipoff might be when the US "price" is just a straight-up currency conversion.
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #21
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Is there a list somewhere of previous reads that can't be nominated? I'm tempted to nominate All Quiet on the Western Front, but I seem to remember it being a winner once, I didn't read it then and have wanted to. Any WWI novel would be a classic 'doomed to repeat' selection, with WWII right around the corner. But it also occurs to me that it might be a better selection in August, war, what' s it good for.

If I thought it had a chance, I'd nominate War and Peace, I'd reread it again. Seems to be some mild interest.
The thread gmw links to is complete for the original MR Book Club but is no longer being updated.

The better place to look is in the NLBC selections thread as mentioned by Bookpossum, specifically, this post, which has a link to a different spreadsheet that is being kept up-to-date and can be searched by author or title. I update both the post and the spreadsheet as new events occur.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll nominate All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.This is a really really good book. It was made into the movie Edge of Tomorrow.

Quote:
There’s one thing worse than dying. It’s coming back to do it again and again… When the alien Gitai invade, Keiji Kiriya is just one of many raw recruits shoved into a suit of battle armor and sent out to kill. Keiji dies on the battlefield, only to find himself reborn each morning to fight and die again and again. On the 158th iteration though, he sees something different, something out of place: the female soldier known as the Bitch of War. Is the Bitch the key to Keiji’s escape, or to his final death?
Goodreads 4.05 rating with 14,084 Ratings
Hoopla Digital
Overdrive:
Kobo US
Kobo UK
Kobo CA
Kobo AU
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Amazon AU
Amazon CA

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-02-2018 at 10:31 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The thread gmw links to is complete for the original MR Book Club but is no longer being updated. [...]
Oh whoops! I missed the comment in there about it not being updated. I liked that thread, the links to the various related threads etc. was such a convenient way of browse stuff. Still, it will remain useful for a while yet.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #24
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll nominate All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.This is a really really good book. It was made into the movie Edge of Tomorrow.
Not entirely ruined by the presence of the hated Tom Cruise... I'll second this.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I'm nominating The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore.

From Goodreads, where it has a rating of 4.24 stars:

Quote:
The Curies' newly discovered element of radium makes gleaming headlines across the nation as the fresh face of beauty, and wonder drug of the medical community. From body lotion to tonic water, the popular new element shines bright in the otherwise dark years of the First World War.

Meanwhile, hundreds of girls toil amidst the glowing dust of the radium-dial factories. The glittering chemical covers their bodies from head to toe; they light up the night like industrious fireflies. With such a coveted job, these "shining girls" are the luckiest alive — until they begin to fall mysteriously ill.

But the factories that once offered golden opportunities are now ignoring all claims of the gruesome side effects, and the women's cries of corruption. And as the fatal poison of the radium takes hold, the brave shining girls find themselves embroiled in one of the biggest scandals of America's early 20th century, and in a groundbreaking battle for workers' rights that will echo for centuries to come.

Written with a sparkling voice and breakneck pace, The Radium Girls fully illuminates the inspiring young women exposed to the "wonder" substance of radium, and their awe-inspiring strength in the face of almost impossible circumstances. Their courage and tenacity led to life-changing regulations, research into nuclear bombing, and ultimately saved hundreds of thousands of lives...
Amazon US $9.99 | Amazon UK £0.99 | Amazon CA $17.53 | Amazon AU $10.99 | Kobo US $14.39 | Kobo CA $19.19 | Kobo UK £0.99

Also available at OverDrive and at Hoopla, in both ebook and audiobook versions. I know the prices are all over the place; I have no idea how long the UK price might last. Pays to be British!

Last edited by issybird; 04-02-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I'm nominating The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore.

Amazon US $9.99 | Amazon UK £0.99 | Amazon CA $17.53 | Amazon AU $10.99 Kobo US $14.39 | Kobo CA $19.19 Kobo UK £0.99

Also available at OverDrive and at Hoopla, in both ebook and audiobook versions. I know the prices are all over the place; I have no idea how long the UK price might last. Pays to be British!
Seconded. And I'm grabbing it now from my UK account! This is just the sort of history book I find interesting and worthy of reading. Thanks!

ETA: The WhisperSync price in the UK is a mere £2.99, by the way!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

ETA: The WhisperSync price in the UK is a mere £2.99, by the way!
I noticed that the AU WhisperSync price also was excellent, although obviously the ebook wasn't nearly so cheap.

So, there are options, including widespread library availability at least in the US, for those who aren't really or occasionally virtually British.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I noticed that the AU WhisperSync price also was excellent, although obviously the ebook wasn't nearly so cheap.

So, there are options, including widespread library availability at least in the US, for those who aren't really or occasionally virtually British.
Indeed. But at a combined price of $5.60 USD, I went ahead and grabbed both. Whether it wins or not, this is going on my TBR.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #29
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:

From Goodreads, where it has a rating of 4.24 stars:

Amazon US $9.99 | Amazon UK £0.99 | Amazon CA $17.53 | Amazon AU $10.99 | Kobo US $14.39 | Kobo CA $19.19 | Kobo UK £0.99

What a brilliant suggestion!

Thirded
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
If I'd waited for my library to give me a copy, I might be reading it for NEXT May. Not earlier.

However, while checking out the library, I discovered another book that would fit this month, but is too new, unfortunately. It's this month's book to read in the BC Public Library, so always available there. Flat Broke with Two Goats, by Jennifer McGaha. Looks quite interesting, so if your library has it, you might want to grab it. (And if you're in BC, you can be sure there isn't even a wait list!)