Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #391
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent. Assuming by "Aura 2" you mean an "Aura Edition 2".
Old 01-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #392
peterg17
peterg17 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura 2
Thanks davidfor, working ok, am setting up again.
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #393
peterg17

I installed Davidfor's image, and set it up, and it mostly works. The only glitch is a postage stamp size series of vertical strips in the top left hand corner. This glitch is present even after a manual factory reset. I suspect that I have some sort of different hardware version of the aura edition 2? Is this possible? Are there other possible disk images for this model?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #394
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg17 View Post
I installed Davidfor's image, and set it up, and it mostly works. The only glitch is a postage stamp size series of vertical strips in the top left hand corner. This glitch is present even after a manual factory reset. I suspect that I have some sort of different hardware version of the aura edition 2? Is this possible? Are there other possible disk images for this model?
Yes there are two versions of the Aura Edition 2. The newer one came out early 2018 and has an updated CPU. The only way to tell the difference is in the serial number. If the seventh character is a 2, then it is the second version. I don't have an image for that. But, I don't think the older image would start with the newer device.

But, those vertical stripes sound like a damaged screen. My Glo HD has something that sounds like it after I dropped it once. Luckily, they aren't in the way and are fairly faint.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #395
peterg17

Thanks. The serial number from the device info page is N236000000000, however I am fairly sure that comes from the image you sent me. I cannot see the serial number on the case, only a model number N236. I purchased it october 2017, so it must be the old
version.
I compiled the xcsoar distribution and telnet'd in over wifi, cpuinfo is:

version Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 790.52
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 10

Hardware : Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite NTX Board
Revision : 60200
Serial : 232489d4e31745f3

I assume the problem must be hardware. It has now developed horizontal lines across the screen from where the vertical lines terminate. It is still usable though.I might take it apart and try to air it out.

The kernel in the image you sent me has OTG capability, and I was able to insert the g_ether module and establish a usb link with a linux pc with the ifconfig command. However the modules are in an unusual location, in the /drivers directory, where normally in linux they are in the /lib/modules. I wonder if this image a standard kobo kernel, or one compiled elsewhere?
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #396
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks. The serial number from the device info page is N236000000000, however I am fairly sure that comes from the image you sent me.
Yes, that is the serial number in the image.
Quote:
I cannot see the serial number on the case, only a model number N236.
They are usually in the area around the USB port.
Quote:
I purchased it october 2017, so it must be the old
version.
I'm pretty sure that will put it as the first version.
Quote:
I compiled the xcsoar distribution and telnet'd in over wifi, cpuinfo is:

version Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 790.52
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 10

Hardware : Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite NTX Board
Revision : 60200
Serial : 232489d4e31745f3
I think that sounds more like the older version. The details that we have from Kobo about the newer version are here.
Quote:
I assume the problem must be hardware. It has now developed horizontal lines across the screen from where the vertical lines terminate. It is still usable though.I might take it apart and try to air it out.
That sounds like a damaged screen. Hopefully it won't get worse.
Quote:
The kernel in the image you sent me has OTG capability, and I was able to insert the g_ether module and establish a usb link with a linux pc with the ifconfig command. However the modules are in an unusual location, in the /drivers directory, where normally in linux they are in the /lib/modules. I wonder if this image a standard kobo kernel, or one compiled elsewhere?
Most of the image I have are taken from the device immediately after a factory reset. And the only other change should be to set a fake serial number. The location of the drivers looks normal for Kobo. Or at least that is where they are in the update packages.

I don't know about the OTG support. I've seen what looks to be an OTG driver in some updates, but, have never had a need to explore it.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #397
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
It sounds exactly like a cracked substrate, though posting a photo would confirm. Airing it out will not help, but taking it apart may propagate the crack if it's partial at the moment.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:59 AM   #398
peterg17

Thanks meera. I believe you may be correct, as the corruption has propagated somewhat. I think I did it taking it apart to get at the sd card, as the damage is very near the entry point. Unfortunately I am away from my tools and only had a bluntish screwdriver to prise it apart. It was always destined to have a hard life anyway, the way I land my hangglider. I think I will pop down to the shop and get another, perhaps a kobo clara hd, which has a similar price point with an enhanced display.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:09 AM   #399
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Thanks meera. I believe you may be correct, as the corruption has propagated somewhat. I think I did it taking it apart to get at the sd card, as the damage is very near the entry point. Unfortunately I am away from my tools and only had a bluntish screwdriver to prise it apart. It was always destined to have a hard life anyway, the way I land my hangglider. I think I will pop down to the shop and get another, perhaps a kobo clara hd, which has a similar price point with an enhanced display.
I suggest putting it in a good case, avoiding impacts and twisting/bending forces, and not leaving it in a hot car. Most eink readers are significant more fragile than phones and tablets. If you tend to smack yours around and your budget isn't very limited, maybe consider a Forma?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #400
Puma063
Puma063 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD restoring loop

Hello,

I am looking to restore my kobo aura HD from an SD card. Could someone send me the SD image of a Kobo Aura HD?
thank you so much.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #401
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #402
xs4free
xs4free began at the beginning.

My Aura HD (N204B) is stuck in infinite Restoring/reboot-cycle, after a power-off/on.
I would like to try and format the SD-card with a clean image. Could someone provide the image?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #403
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #404
xs4free
xs4free began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.
Thnx a lot! A new sd-card and the image you sent did the trick! My Kobo Aura HD is working again. Very grateful!
Old 01-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #405
pederbon
pederbon began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Hello, I've a bricked Kobo Aura HD too.
Could someone please send me sd-card image?
Thank you very much!

M A R C O
Closed Thread