Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
kepub is ALWAYS a better choice than epub on Kobo devices. Use Calibre for the conversion
I would strongly disagree. Both have advantages, both have oddities.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #17
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
kepub is ALWAYS a better choice than epub on Kobo devices. Use Calibre for the conversion
i disagree also... natural epub is always better for me. but as DNSB said "Both have advantages, both have oddities."
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:53 AM   #18
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Epub has a best rendering (ligatures) but no notes and no imagine enlargement.

Kepub has no ligatures but as pop up notes and imagine enlargement with double tap.

I use Kepub if there are notes or imagine and Epub otherwise.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #19
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
If you're someone that uses text-renderingptimizeLegibility, forces left alignment and disables hyphenation, are there any typographical advantages to using epubs?
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #20
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used for some time "text-rendering optimize Legibility" in patch, but I encountered spacing issues (in a word every 2 or 3 pages there was too much space between letters). Then I tried "optimize speed" but now I use default settings in Kepub: kerning but no ligatures, and it works (I found that font Merryweather is fantastic also without ligatures).

This is the main drawback with Kepub in standard Kobo engine (the other is that when a note is too long You can't see it completely in pop up).

I would like to have ligatures in Kepub with Nickel without problems, I am perplexed about the lack of this feature. Now I often use KOReader to read Kepub, and also, of course, to read pdf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
If you're someone that uses text-renderingptimizeLegibility, forces left alignment and disables hyphenation, are there any typographical advantages to using epubs?
The answer is NO, left alignment will solve spacing issues, I don't know if disabling hyphenation makes a difference...

Last edited by ps67; 01-21-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your answers. I haven't found any issues with spacing when forcing left alignment yet, which I have always done because I believe that this is optimal for reading quickly, along with no hyphenation.

I only recently discovered that patch which allows for optimised text rendering, and I love what a difference it makes. I use Literata, which I find to be a very pleasant font, and particularly appreciate the non-slanted italic variant. The difference with kerning enabled is very obvious with words such as "York" or "Written".

I would be prepared to experiment with the epub format if there were further typographical benefits to using it within the parameters I've stated: left alignment and disabled hyphenation. I have not yet accumulated sufficient experience with the optimised legibility setting enabled by geek1011's fantastic patch system to be aware of what those might be though.

I must reiterate, I really appreciate how great this forum and community is as a resource for learning how to optimise my device. If not for this thread I wouldn't have investigated a mechanism for enabling kerning for Literata in kepubs. I feel like I just got another free device upgrade
Old 01-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #22
ps67
Guru

Kerning should be just enabled, if You have to disable it with "optimizeSpeed". As stated in patch comments it solves some rendering problems for fully justified text, but I am not able to understand which problems.

And "optimizeLegibility" enables ligatures but creates additional rendering problems on fully justified text, as I experienced. I like ligatures but not so much to prefer them compared to a proper rendering of the text (I don't like left alignment, apart poetry, of course). But may be that "optimizeLegibility" enables also some better kerning, I don't know.

Last edited by ps67; 01-21-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:51 AM   #23
JeanPierre
Zealot

Ah ok, so the difference I am seeing is due to enabling ligatures. I hadn't realised that things such as "Yo", "Wa", and "fi" were covered by this Thank you for the clarification

Edit - I just looked at Literata-Regular.ttf in FontForge, and under the View -> Combinations menu it appears to display only two ligatures: one for fl and one for fi. The rest of the changes I see on my Kobo appear to be covered by what is a ridiculously long list called "Kern Pairs". I don't know what this means with respect to "optimizeLegibility".

Anyway. Typography looks better now. That's the main thing

Last edited by JeanPierre; 01-22-2019 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #24
ps67
Guru

May be, I am not so skilled, when I open font forge I immediately give up.
I only read comments on patch.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@JeanPierre, @ps67,

In case you're interested this old kepub vs. epub thread (post #19 onwards) has some discussion about "optimizeLegibility" and "optimizeSpeed".
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #26
ps67
Guru