Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #31
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
since you won't be (easily) able to uninstall any hack, I'd recommend *not* doing this update on a hacked Kindle/if you care about being able to easily install/remove hacks.
The problem is that this update should be pushed automatically by Amazon later on (as far as I understand). Fortunately, there is a way to disable the automatic updates:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ates+disable#8
(clearly, should be only done by those who know what they are doing)

I personally would never trade off this pretty useless update for SSH access, custom screensavers (thanks NiLuJe!), localization (thanks Sir Alex!), launchpad (thanks h1uke!),... At least half of these (screensavers, localization) are really basic functionality and it is a pity that Amazon implements all the social networks integration and similar crap instead of useful basic functionality... ok, I stop whining now.

Quote:
After updating and restarting I then changed my screen-savers and restarted again, and it's still fine.
At least something - but it still breaks installation and uninstallation of hacks and it may also break some other already installed hacks, so I would say that people who want to use custom hacks should probably not install it just yet.

Last edited by janvanmaar; 02-08-2011 at 05:35 AM. Reason: fixing the link
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #32
Kanru
Kanru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle 3w
How about repackage the update using the jailbreak key?
Kanru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #33
tjxism
tjxism began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am new to kindle, but I think the 3.1 preview blocked the 3g browsing here in Austria. It now says "Due to local restrictions, web browsing is not available for all countries."
tjxism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #34
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
>>and it is a pity that Amazon implements all the social networks integration and similar crap instead of useful basic functionality... ok, I stop whining now.<<

I'm with you. As I said in another thread, I find it hard to believe that Kindle users were clamoring for advertising at the end of all their books ("recommendations") and these other online intrusions, without even the choice to turn the new feature off and preserve the reading experience they signed up for.

I'd suggest that anyone who has an opinion on the matter send an email to
kindle-feedback@amazon.com
and tell Amazon what they think.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #35
aproudlove
Enthusiast
aproudlove doesn't litteraproudlove doesn't litteraproudlove doesn't litter

Hi, I just 3.1 on my Kindle 3 Wifi, which was an update from 3.0.3, which in turn was an update from 3.0.2 which it shipped with.
After applying the 3.0.3 update, I applied the screensaver hack, which I left as it was before applying the 3.1 update today. The update completed successfully and after the update, my screensavers are still working. The only thing that I haven't tried to do is add new screensavers but i will see if I can find the time to make a couple of new ones tonight and give it a try.

NB: My Kindle is a US Kindle which I had shipped to me here in Europe.

Last edited by aproudlove; 02-08-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Further detail.
aproudlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #36
coaver
coaver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Kindle for Android
Kindle Update and Page Numbers

I wonder will the new page numbers only work on Amazon purchased books or would they apply to my non-Amazon purchased books?
coaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #37
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaver View Post
I wonder will the new page numbers only work on Amazon purchased books or would they apply to my non-Amazon purchased books?
Think of this:
For it work on your non amazon books, the Kindle would need to know what book it was, find an equivalent print edition of the book, and analyze the content of the print edition to find on what pages given text appears.

Depending on the implementation (like maybe the format of that .apnx file that someone mentioned) maybe other book sellers could implement a compatible feature...but I doubt it.

And even if Amazon was inclined to do it for books they didn't sell, I would not be happy about them snooping around in my non-Amazon books.

ApK
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #38
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
How big is the update file ? I've tried twice to download onto my laptop and it just doesn't seem to be progressing at all, is this a massive file or is there a problem with the download ?

It's the European version I'm trying to download,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #39
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
How big is the update file ? I've tried twice to download onto my laptop and it just doesn't seem to be progressing at all, is this a massive file or is there a problem with the download ?
~22MB. Some other people have said that the download site has some issues so its not just you.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #40
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
WAIT, so when I turn on my Kindle 3 3G it will auto install the latest firmware? Is this true that it will eventually auto-install new firmwares?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #41
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
WAIT, so when I turn on my Kindle 3 3G it will auto install the latest firmware? Is this true that it will eventually auto-install new firmwares?
Yes. It will download and install new firmware versions if they're in release status and not early preview.

The last one I've seen in release status was 3.0.1 and every firmware since then i.e. 3.0.2, 3.0.3 and 3.1 have all been early preview status. Early preview firmware isn't automatically downloaded and installed. You have to do it yourself via USB.

This means currently that it won't download and install 3.1 by itself.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #42
ApK

3.0.2 never went beyond preview? Surprising that it would come installed on new Kindles then.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #43
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thnx - glad it's not just me !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
~22MB. Some other people have said that the download site has some issues so its not just you.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #44
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Still nothing will keep trying, has anyone downloaded the European version successfully ?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #45
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Still nothing will keep trying, has anyone downloaded the European version successfully ?
Yup. Downloaded and installed it last night. I just tried downloading it again just now and it seems fine. Not sure why you and others are having issues with it.