Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Kizmet
Kizmet began at the beginning.

Device: Centro
What is up with the Fictionwise site???

I have noticed a lot of books have gone missing. Sherrilyn Kenyon is completely gone. Lilith Saintcrow has a lot fewer books. I know they used to be on the site, because they are still on my bookshelf. It is really strange. What is going on? Where can I get these authors in an ebook format? I use the ereader format.
Kizmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Basically, five of the big publishers have moved to the agency model. Problem is, they didn't bother to finish negotiating new contracts with the wholesalers who supply the smaller ebook retailers (fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, Deisel ebooks etc.) before stopping the books from being sold under the old model.
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Google 'Agency 5' to get an idea what's going on. Basically 5 of the largest publishers decided to change the way things are priced and a month later went ahead with it without having things in place. The one thing I don't get is why FW doesn't have the books in eReader format (since B&N does), but as for the other formats they're supplied by Ingram Digital and things are still be worked out with them and at least some of the publishers. It's also why all Penguin titles to come out since April 1st are missing from Amazon. They're still "negotiating".

AFAIK Kobo, B&N and Sony all have deals in place with all of the Agency 5. Amazon has deals with all but Penguin. Books on Board is still missing some stuff (Penguin titles for sure).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Kizmet
Kizmet began at the beginning.

Device: Centro
So do you think they will catch up? Is there a good place to buy ebooks in the meantime?
Kizmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Honestly this Agency pricing bs should be name "lets loose control over copyright with stupid pricing" part 2. The more they jack up the prices of e books counterfeiting becomes more economically viable especially with bad actors like china, India, hong kong and elsewhere willing to flood the market with cheaper knock offs. Honestly you would think the publishing industry would have learned from the recorded and movie industry the end result of keeping you digital media products at ridiculously high prices is loss of control over you copy right.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Alas the latest book a series I've been following is one of those missing. It's available through Sony, though with a price tag that makes me a bit more hesitant to make the purchase right now.

Agency model = A bunch of tired old publishing dinosaurs desperately clinging to the world they know.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Basically, five of the big publishers have moved to the agency model. Problem is, they didn't bother to finish negotiating new contracts with the wholesalers who supply the smaller ebook retailers (fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, Deisel ebooks etc.) before stopping the books from being sold under the old model.
How do you know that? And what is needed to be re-negotiated. If I would guess I would think that it is the wholesalers that has not updated there computer system or something like that. Or the wholesalers dragging their feets and not reacting quickly enough.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Agency modelling will lead to more books available faster and more old books available (if it works as claimed). I do not get it why people are so negative since the availablility of especially old books in a series have been a big problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I had to get book 6 of the "Lost Fleet" series by Jack Campbell from Mobipocket.com. At the time I purchased my copy, Diesel still had that book on pre-order and no others in the series and Fictionwise had NONE of the series for purchase.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
So do you think they will catch up? Is there a good place to buy ebooks in the meantime?
Hard to say. FW has been going down hill for a while and I wouldn't be surprised if B&N eventually either closes it (and eReader.com) or just uses it to publish Multiformat titles.

You mentioned wanting eReader format. I guess B&N would probably be the best place to get that.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, B&N seems to have negotiated with the agency 5. So there really is no reason for Fictionwise not to also be selling those eBooks. The way I see it for Fictionwise is that Fictionwise is not selling those eBooks because of the buywise club membership. As part of the membership, eBooks are discounted vs. non-club prices. The agency model will not allow any sales/discounts on their eBooks.

I do think that once people's club membership and/or micropay are up, I think they'll stop shopping at Fictionwise. I see Fictionwise's future as one of going out of business.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-08-2010 at 10:05 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, B&N seems to have negotiated with the agency 5. So there really is no reason for Fictionwise not to also be selling those eBooks. The way I see it for Fictionwise is that Fictionwise is not selling those eBooks because of the buywise club membership. As part of the membership, eBooks are discounted vs. non-club prices. The agency model will not allow any sales/discounts on their eBooks.

I do think that once people's club membership and/or micropay are up, I think they'll stop shopping at Fictionwise. I see Fictionwise's future as one of going out of business.
Even though they are part of B&N as far as I know FW sill gets most of their books from Ingram Digital (& possibly other distros). From what I've found Ingram is still working thing out with some (all?) of the Agency 5.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You mentioned wanting eReader format. I guess B&N would probably be the best place to get that.
Not necessarily; most of the books I buy through B&N are in epub format. I read something somewhere about how it will be in eReader format instead of epub if you download it to your computer and have their software installed... but that was a few months ago, and I wasn't paying very close attention because I don't use their PC software (I buy through my Nook), so that bit of information could be completely wrong.
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
How do you know that? And what is needed to be re-negotiated. If I would guess I would think that it is the wholesalers that has not updated there computer system or something like that. Or the wholesalers dragging their feets and not reacting quickly enough.
The big problem is that the agency model assumes that the publisher is selling the books directly on the bookstore, and the bookstore (the agent) gets a certain percentage of the sale of a book.
There is nothing in the model about a wholesaler that is situated between the publisher and the bookstore. Because of this new contracts have to be negotiated that split the agent percentage between the wholesaler and the bookstore.
Another problem I believe is the whole sales tax issue.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote