Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #1
guywithakindle
guywithakindle doesn't litterguywithakindle doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW2
Does using wifi in KOReader put me at risk of OTA updates ?

Hi ! I have a newly jailbroken PW2 and am enjoying KOReader a lot ! I was wondering whether the Wi-Fi functions of KOReader were independent from the main OS ones and, explicitly, whether enabling these Wi-Fi functionalities was completly uncorrelated to disabling the airplane mode in the Kindle interface - which would mean that I don't risk any OTA update bricking my sweet paperwhity friend. I'd love syncing with calibre without them nasty cables !
Thanks a lot, sorry for creating a whole thread just for this little question but no search on the forums answered my specific question.
guywithakindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
They're not independent, they are indeed the system's. And while we freeze *some* parts of it, that probably won't help much.

It will *probably* download stuff in the background. It *might* not force-launch the update automatically (emphasis on *might*), *unless* you're on an SO device, in which case it very well might as soon as you suspend the device.

TL;DR: Using KOReader doesn't exempt you of taking care of blocking OTAs .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-22-2021 at 02:40 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #3
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithakindle View Post
I was wondering whether the Wi-Fi functions of KOReader were independent from the main OS ones and, explicitly, whether enabling these Wi-Fi functionalities was completly uncorrelated to disabling the airplane mode in the Kindle interface - which would mean that I don't risk any OTA update bricking my sweet paperwhity friend. I'd love syncing with calibre without them nasty cables !.
Thanks for the question. I wanted to know the same thing. And @NiLuJe , thanks for your answer.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick, koreader, ota, update, wifi