Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-26-2021, 06:47 AM   #16
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinsley View Post
I discover a strange thing. The links are ok now but the popup footnote does not work anymore. I jump to the Answer.html, it's not easy to read as I see the full texte.
There is not a standard for footnote pop-up. Every application could use it or not.

Quote:
I found a guide : Kindle Publishing Guidelines : How to make books available for Kindle devices and applications
I have to dig inside, it may help.
But it is only a amazon ebook?
Quote:
By the way, the conversion epub to azw3 keeps the links.
The pagebreak works fine and is done with
.pagejump {
page-break-before:always;
}
Not all the ebook reader support well the page-break-before. The only way to be "sure" to have a page break is to break the file. Infact...

Quote:
If I convert epub to epub, Calibre kills my page, swallows the pagebreak and it splits the page in little chapter.html as many as it meets a page break.

Not so simple but its a good training.
To be honest, if I had an ebook like your to do, I would create a short script in python (or other language) that would create the thousands of HTML pages you need, starting from a list of questions and answers.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #17
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd
But it is only a amazon ebook ?
Yes, Amazon's PDF.
I don't know if links are allowed, just in case ...
https://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/A...Guidelines.pdf

Quote:
To be honest, if I had an ebook like your to do, I would create a short script in python (or other language) that would create the thousands of HTML pages you need, starting from a list of questions and answers.
As said at the very beginning of the topic, I didn't know where to go.
I am in front of a Himalayan climb with the wrong tools.
I did C coding years ago, not enough practice to save time.
Anyway, it was an enjoyable exercise, I appreciated your help and that of other readers.
I am more and more comfortable with Regex to correct and free up reading time, which is ultimately the ultimate goal.

Best regards
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
I'd actually fully agree.

And then if it's substandard, learn how to do iOS and Android apps using framework. The majority of people reading ebooks do it on a phone or tablet. Also most people with an eink ereader have a smartphone. My dad is the only person I know that uses eink (a Kindle Paperwhite) and has NO mobile.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #19
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
You might want to consider creating an epub3 book instead. Infogrid Pacific offers an epub3 quiz sample book for download that you could use as a model for your book.
There are also countless other JavaScript quiz templates on the Internet.

If it has to be KDP, you could simply add two separate endnote HTML files, e.g. correct.xhtml and incorrect.xhtml, at the end of the book and add links to them.
If you format footnote links and footnote definitions correctly, they'll show up as popup footnotes.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, you could also look into creating a fixed layout Kindle book.

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-26-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #20
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Yes, Amazon's PDF.
Sorry, I mean: your final ebook is only for kindle or ePub?

Quote:
I am in front of a Himalayan climb with the wrong tools.
I did C coding years ago, not enough practice to save time.
Anyway, it was an enjoyable exercise, I appreciated your help and that of other readers.
I am more and more comfortable with Regex to correct and free up reading time, which is ultimately the ultimate goal.

Best regards
You can speed up some things. For example: create the questions giving to the div a unique id that you keep as list somewhere, and work only on correct answers. The wrong answers are linked to a non-existent id created with the original id with before a prefix. For example:

Code:
<div class="question" id="one">
<p>Who is the french king during the french revolution?</p>
<ul>
<li><a href="#due">correct answer</a></li> 
<li><a href="#wrong_uno">wrong answer</a></li> 
<li><a href="#wrong_uno">another answer</a></li> 
<li><a href="#wrong_uno">last answer</a></li> 

</ul>
</div>

<div class="question" id="two">
<p>Is Lady Oscar a real or fiction character?</p>
<ul>
<li><a href="#tre">correct answer</a></li> 
<li><a href="#wrong_due">wrong answer</a></li> 
<li><a href="#wrong_due">another answer</a></li> 
<li><a href="#wrong_due">last answer</a></li> 

</ul>
</div>
...and so on, working only on questions and correct answers. This is a more affordable work. After, you put the id list you kept on a blank text edit page:

Code:
one
two
three
four
And use a regex to create all the wrong answers for all the questions in an instant. Something similar to:

Code:
FIND:
(.+)

REPLACE:
<div class="answer" id="wrong_$1">
<p>Sorry, this was not the correct answer.</p>
<p><a href="#$1">Try it again</a><p>
</div>
In this way you can focus the work only on questions, and automate the creation of all the wrong answers pages. After the regex replace, you copy & paste the result in the same file of the questions.
Now you have a file with all the questions with correct and wrong links, as internal links. The last passage I suggest is to split this big file before every <div>, so you are sure to have a page break for each answer/question.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:12 AM   #21
reinsley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd actually fully agree.
... iOS and Android apps
I never imagined doing a standard epub for all devices. Which is stupid. Thank you for this major point.
My first poor little idea was to create an epub because the code is lighter and then convert it to azw3 with Caliber. Assuming that my epub holds up to support a conversion.
I feel very close to your dad despite the age difference as I don't have a cell phone and use a PPW kindle . He's got to be a good man...
Old 03-27-2021, 06:16 AM   #22
reinsley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You might want to consider creating an epub3 book instead. Infogrid Pacific offers an epub3 quiz sample book for download that you could use as a model for your book.
The igpnQaaTest02.epub is a golden nugget.
It's far beyond my expectations.
I come back to the game.
At my own pace to discover the codes as a kind of reverse engineering.

The java scripts are included, at first glance it seems to have it all.

It's Christmas before Easter.
This demo epub is a killer.

Yes I did a conversion from my wobbly epub2 demo to epub3 but I was far from having a clean epub worthy of the name.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:28 AM   #23
reinsley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sorry, I mean: your final ebook is only for kindle or ePub?
The question that did not cross my mind for a moment because I was so focused on the details.
Quoth raised the vagueness as well.

Do not miss the MCQ demo whose link was given by Doitsu. It is the dream to start this small project on solid foundations.
We find in it your architectural suggestions. And JS code.
I'm on track even though I suspect there will be puzzles.

Thank you again to all the readers and to you for your interest in this story.