Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Calibre 7 error with kindle dx

I've downloaded material fine..just doing websites...

I have the following for an error message
"(30, 'Read-only file system')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 58, in run
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 262, in _books
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 147, in books
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 265, in sync_booklists
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 263, in write_prefix
IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: u'/media/Kindle_/metadata.calibre' "

I'm using ubuntu and there's no issue with it being recognised by the os...
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Exactly when does this error show up? And is the path your Kindle is mounted at actually

/media/Kindle_
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

This is the latest I'm getting
(30, 'Read-only file system')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 293, in _upload_books
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 166, in upload_books
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/cli.py", line 52, in put_file
IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: u'/media/Kindle/documents/News/Wall Street Journal (free) [Jun 05]_2010-6-6.mobi'

There is a folder of kindle main memory that I can't seem to delete. the kindle does mount in /media/kindle I'm not sure if there is an underscore after it though

calibre states it is detected (well ubuntu states it is within the program) It gets device information in less than a second
but in getting the list of books in the device it takes 1 minute six seconds and then gives the above error.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like your Kindle is being mounted read-only, by Ubuntu (The reason I say that is calibre would mount it at /media/Kindle Main Memory, not .mdeia/Kindle)

Try disabling automounting and let calibre mount the device for you.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
mdovell
Zealot

I tried that but I get this now
(30, 'Read-only file system')

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 262, in _books
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 147, in books
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 265, in sync_booklists
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 263, in write_prefix
IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: u'/media/Kindle Main Memory (3)/metadata.calibre'"

I did turn off the auto mount but now it's making kindle main memory 2...
If I try to run it again it creates kindle main memory 3..

I just wish there was a way to delete these 1 2 and 3 ones..
I just don't know as to why these others were created..I think I'm getting closer to solving this.
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You have to eject the device in calibre, then it will remove the directory for you (hover your mouse over the picture of the kindle to eject it)
Old 06-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
mdovell
Zealot

Unfortunately it did not eliminate the other folders when I unmounted it in calibre.

While it is attempt to see it I did check the debug
at the end it shows it is detected

"Devices possibly connected: Kindle DX Device Interface,
Trying to open Kindle DX Device Interface ... OK
Main memory: '/media/Kindle Main Memory (3)/'
Total space: (3650244608L, 0, 0)"

I noticed on kindle main memory 1 I can try to unmount but it states
"DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.NotFound: The given mount was not found"

I was able to delete the extra kindle folders however for some reason the kindle is being mounted in ubuntu as read only..

Last edited by mdovell; 06-06-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 06-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
mdovell
Zealot

I fixed the folder thing using natuilus...but the problem is for some odd reason in ubuntu it thinks its read only!

btw incase anyone else runs into this here's something about the ejection that might explain the extra folders

http://iamyouruser.blogspot.com/2009...ct-kindle.html

I am thinking this is really an ubuntu issue with a latest kernel upgrade...