Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
amyannestewart
amyannestewart began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs 350
please please help!

hello all, I'm new to this forum thing, but i really really need help!

i just got a sony pocket reader and have tried to connect it to my macbook air. every time i connect it, it charges the battery, however when i open the reader library the device name doesn't show, it just comes up with the reader icon in the list and says error next to it.

i have tried everything, from resetting my reader to disconnecting the usb and reconnecting it again but cannot figure it out, and as it says error it will not allow me to move my downloaded books onto my reader so i haven't been able to use it!

PLEASE HELP ME!

thanks, amy.

Last edited by amyannestewart; 09-22-2011 at 03:23 PM.
amyannestewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Leave the reader plugged into either the computer or wall adapter and let it charge the battery before you do anything else. When it's fully charged, start the reader and play with the menus and settings. Open the books that came pre-loaded, looked at the pictures, essentially fiddle with it until you're confident that it's working the way it should. Once you know that for sure, then we can work on that connection problem.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I also have a MacBook Air and a PRS-350. I've not had the same trouble, but here are some questions/ideas in no particular order:
1. Try the other USB Port and/or a different cable.
2. Does the device mount properly? Can you browse its contents with Finder?
3. By default, Reader Library automatically opens when the Reader is attached. Does it?
4. Change Reader Library's Preferences to NOT open automatically, then quit (Cmd+Q) Then connect the device, make sure you can see it in Finder, then open Reader Library.
5. Quit Calibre or any other program that might try to read/write to the Reader before opening Reader Library.
6. When you say "reset" do you mean you stuck a pin in the reset button and rebooted, restored factory settings, formated internal memory, or something else?

Last edited by trekchick; 09-23-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Undo iOS autocorrect weirdness
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Hold down the 3 and the 2 on your keyboard when you reboot. This will put you into 32 bit mode. Reader Library should then recognize the Sony. Unplug any other USB devices you may have on the Mac as well.

After you have everything working, download Calibre and use that instead of Reader Library. Then you won't have to mess with Reader Library, and you'll have much better software to catalog your ebooks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
You know what? I was wrong. My PRS-350 doesn't show properly in Reader Library, unless I boot into 32-bit mode likepidgeon92 suggested.

I've bought new ebooks and borrowed some as well using Reader Library, and I've put those books on my reader, so I didn't recognize the problem until today, when I tried to sync some new images to use on the sleep screen.

I use Calibre to automatically create and update my device collections, and I must have used Calibre to transfer the books as well.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert