Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Book Summary/Rating Webservice

Hi, I'm putting together an Itunes like program to index/convert and search my ebook collection. I'm looking for a web service that I can use to pull a summary for a book. I'm currently using ISBNdb.com which is decent but restricts me to 500 calls a day and I want to index 22 thousand books. Anyone else have any recommendations?
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You could try goodreads.com
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Demented
Connoisseur

That's close and I'm certainly going to incorporate it into my program for the ratings but it doesn't have the ability to pull back the book description, only the user reviews. I basically have a crap load of books and without the typical blurb on the back cover I have no way to figure out what it's about.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm not sure what you mean by pull back..
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Demented
Connoisseur

I'm using the web service to search by the book title and retrieve a summary for the book. Goodreads only provides you with the ISBN and a link to the book's page on their site. It doesn't actually give you the information. I'm loading the summary into a database and then using it as metadata so that I can search the collection for keywords.
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
22,000 books divided by 500 per day equals 44 days. If you haven't found a tool by 2 October, it would have been better to just do 500 per day. Maybe a note to the folks at info@ejelta.com who wrote and maintain ISBNdb to ask for a one-time 22k authorization.

Doesn't Calibre also try to use Google Search to find and attach book metadata. I know it uses ISBNdb. If you DO FIND another good ISBN search tool that grabs blurbs and summaries, please alert us here and the fine gent that develops Calibre so us mere mortals with a few hundred books can enjoy the benefits you find.

I'm willing to do some of the searches for you on my ISBNdb license of 500 per day, but I don't know a method without being very labor intensive. Tell me if I can help and that would cut you back to 11 September.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Demented
Connoisseur

I started the 500 a day thing it just takes forever heh. I sent an email to the address listed on isbn.com and they never replied. I'll try the one you gave me.