Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
NOOK wifi? or KINDLE 3 wifi?

i narrowed my choices to this 2. price range about the same. but i have an issue i need help with.

1) i'm looking to buy my ebook from other websites. (not amazon/b&n)
2) the books that come are mostly Adobe PDF files.

i heard that kindle 3 is good with pdf but not nook. but i also heard that kindle does not allow books from outside amazon but nook does.

anyone can help?
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Kindle does allow books from outside Amazon, they have to be DRM free and in the mobi format. If the books are DRM free, you can easily convert them using calibre, which is a great program to organize and maintain your digital library.

I am not familiar with the nook, so I can't give you any help there. But I do believe it supports library books. If that is something you are interested in, that may be one of your deciding factors as the Kindle does not.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

i see... i mean, if the kindle does support pdf, i will go for it. because it is said to be handling pdf better than nook does. i wont want to have a device with problem reading my pdf files.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
buying books outside of Barnes and Noble is less of a hassel to do on the nook than buying books and converting them on the kindle.

The nook supports e-pub which is pretty much the industry standard which the Kindle still doesn't support. Yes as stated you can buy and convert but with the nook you can buy and sideload right then and there. Also the nook supporting the epub format allows you to check out books from the library.

another thing to consider is if there is a Barnes and Noble in your area, if so you get some extra fun features in the InStore Experience, meaning you get special coupons, deals, read any book in store for an hour, freebies from the StarBucks Cafe etc. A deal breaker, No a very nice added touch to us bookstore lovers? a BIG YES. Also you can get in store support if you have any problems or questions etc.

The nook does have a replacable battery, expandable memory. I love the color touchscreen navigation, color book cover flow and Free Fridays.

Now if you are big annotation and note taker the physical keyboard of the Kindle may be to your liking, if not i think imho it then becomes an eyeshore and wasted space but that's me.

Good luck and I'm sure you are going to love either one
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
The kindle native supports Amazon's proprietary format AZW, PDF, TXT, unprotected MOBI/PRC. Audio: AAX, AA, MP3.

Amazon converts PDF, HTML, DOC (Word), RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MOBI, PRC to their AZW format.

So in regard to PDF you should be fine with the Kindle. For a nice review about the Kindle DXG take a look here -->http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/kindle-dx.html

The same should apply to the new Kindle 3 only that it is smaller than the Kindle DX of course.
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson7lim View Post
i see... i mean, if the kindle does support pdf, i will go for it. because it is said to be handling pdf better than nook does. i wont want to have a device with problem reading my pdf files.

the kindle DX the 9 inch screen handle Pdf's well, but the 6inch kindle is pretty much on par with the nook, they are both hit or misses.

If PDF's is a huge priority then I would look at the Kindle DX but actually if you are going to shell out that much you might as well get the iPad which will do your PDF's fantastic and they way they should be.

but a good in between the DX and the Kindle and the Nook is the Sony PRS 900 which is supposed to do PDF very well/

i have a ton of books PDF's on my nook and the novels came out pretty good no complaints but there are some odd doobies thrown in there from time to time. I do find most novels in pdf have come out pretty decent.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Just one warning .... NO eBook Reader is at present really good at handling PDF's

They can be viewed, but if you zoom in most loose the zoom when you move to another section of the page, most only viw PDF in the smallest text size whilst keeping images in correct place etc,

They are useable, just NOT ideal, think carefully if it's Mainly PDF you want to view,

Good Luck
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Just one warning .... NO eBook Reader is at present really good at handling PDF's

They can be viewed, but if you zoom in most loose the zoom when you move to another section of the page, most only viw PDF in the smallest text size whilst keeping images in correct place etc,

They are useable, just NOT ideal, think carefully if it's Mainly PDF you want to view,

Good Luck

I agree with this statement as I said if PDF's are going to be a huge dealbreaker for you, then you seriously should considere getting the iPad
Old 08-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
buying books outside of Barnes and Noble is less of a hassel to do on the nook than buying books and converting them on the kindle.

The nook supports e-pub which is pretty much the industry standard which the Kindle still doesn't support. Yes as stated you can buy and convert but with the nook you can buy and sideload right then and there. Also the nook supporting the epub format allows you to check out books from the library.

another thing to consider is if there is a Barnes and Noble in your area, if so you get some extra fun features in the InStore Experience, meaning you get special coupons, deals, read any book in store for an hour, freebies from the StarBucks Cafe etc. A deal breaker, No a very nice added touch to us bookstore lovers? a BIG YES. Also you can get in store support if you have any problems or questions etc.

The nook does have a replacable battery, expandable memory. I love the color touchscreen navigation, color book cover flow and Free Fridays.

Now if you are big annotation and note taker the physical keyboard of the Kindle may be to your liking, if not i think imho it then becomes an eyeshore and wasted space but that's me.

Good luck and I'm sure you are going to love either one

oh.. i understand what you're saying. saving the hassle to get the books into the device may take some time and trouble. but it's not my worry as the books i want to get are mostly in pdf.. so doesn't really matter.

and nope.. i dont stay in US. i love in Singapore. so i won't be able to enjoy all the GOODIES! haha!

i might take some note and it can be some sort of a note taking place for me. so would be nice.

thanks! i love both devices, but just want one that will benefit me(:
Old 08-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verres View Post
The kindle native supports Amazon's proprietary format AZW, PDF, TXT, unprotected MOBI/PRC. Audio: AAX, AA, MP3.

Amazon converts PDF, HTML, DOC (Word), RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MOBI, PRC to their AZW format.

So in regard to PDF you should be fine with the Kindle. For a nice review about the Kindle DXG take a look here -->http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/kindle-dx.html

The same should apply to the new Kindle 3 only that it is smaller than the Kindle DX of course.
alright. so even if i put the pdf in the kindle, it will be converted into AZW?

wow.. the picture really looks nice. the words are like.. WOW!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
alright. so even if i put the pdf in the kindle, it will be converted into AZW?

wow.. the picture really looks nice. the words are like.. WOW!

now remember that's the kindle DX not the the 6 inch kindle wi fi one. so you should keep that in mind
Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
boswd
Banned

Quote:
oh.. i understand what you're saying. saving the hassle to get the books into the device may take some time and trouble. but it's not my worry as the books i want to get are mostly in pdf.. so doesn't really matter.

and nope.. i dont stay in US. i love in Singapore. so i won't be able to enjoy all the GOODIES! haha!

i might take some note and it can be some sort of a note taking place for me. so would be nice.

thanks! i love both devices, but just want one that will benefit me(:

I would do either the Kindle DX (not the smaller Kindle wif fi 6inch) or the iPad and if I had to choose, I would choose the iPad for your purposes
Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the kindle DX the 9 inch screen handle Pdf's well, but the 6inch kindle is pretty much on par with the nook, they are both hit or misses.

If PDF's is a huge priority then I would look at the Kindle DX but actually if you are going to shell out that much you might as well get the iPad which will do your PDF's fantastic and they way they should be.

but a good in between the DX and the Kindle and the Nook is the Sony PRS 900 which is supposed to do PDF very well/

i have a ton of books PDF's on my nook and the novels came out pretty good no complaints but there are some odd doobies thrown in there from time to time. I do find most novels in pdf have come out pretty decent.
thanks for the advise. but the dx is a little over budget for me. so does the sony 900. although i love the sony 900's looks. it is really beautiful! but back to the topic.. i just want a reader lesser than 150.

so for you, reading pdf on the nook hasn't really caused you much of a problem?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post

Good Luck
yeah. i understand. just want to get one that can get the best out from pdf. i know netbooks and ipads are solutions. but they are way too fair on price.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
No Nelson amazon doesn't convert your pdfs into anything if you just drag and drop them on your device.

However they've got a service where you can send your files to and get them converted for you if you want to. Anyway in regard to pdf i guess just copy them to your device or convert them yourself if you feel the need to with tools like calibre.
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote