Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Mobileread Books in a ZIP file?

I've been wondering if it can actually be possible: to bring all the gloriously edited Mobileread books into convenient Zip packages, maybe putting different ZIP files for each format. The main issue for uploading, copyright, should be non-existent here, as books are in the Public Domain. Is it a worthwhile idea?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
This has been discussed previously, and some uploaders have expressed themselves contrary to that. There are two main concerns:

1. Books are sometimes updated with corrections, better formatting, new stories in "omnibus" editions, etc. Publishing a large collection would perpetuate old versions of updated files.

2. Often the uploader writes some background text on the book and author, or on the technical details of the ebook, which are probably of interest to potential downloaders.

This, of course, applies only to what should or shouldn't be "officially" published at MobileRead. Nothing prevents anyone to download everything and upload the collection to his/her website or to P2P networks.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
3. Uploaders are also interested in the number of downloads of their books. Popularity of a particular book serves as a guide to making others also available.

I would doubt that most uploaders want someone else providing collections for the 3 reasons stated but then that does not mean they can prevent it except to quit doing uploads.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I must say that, personally, I don't mind my books being included in collections, and only concern #1 troubles me a bit, but I fully understand why others would not want it.

What we really, really need is some improved interface for browsing / searching / selecting / downloading books from MR.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I must say that, personally, I don't mind my books being included in collections, and only concern #1 troubles me a bit, but I fully understand why others would not want it.

What we really, really need is some improved interface for browsing / searching / selecting / downloading books from MR.

The ability to select multiple titles for download (check-box or list)?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
The ability to select multiple titles for download (check-box or list)?

I thought there was a change due in the library/"ebook upload/download section" structure ? [maybe bad memory but I recall something in the reload discussions ?]

Last edited by GeoffC; 07-07-2010 at 10:18 AM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I say they should put it all to a disc and let us purchase a copy.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote