Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
bradamant
bradamant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Is it okay to add books on a Mac using Parallels, just not firmware updates?

Hi there, I've been reading this forum for a while but registered today because my Windows XP PC died and I need to get a new computer fast! I am leaning towards getting a Mac this time and it seems like all my peripherals will be okay... except maybe my Sony Reader.

Reading the posts here, I'm getting the impression that it would be okay to load books via Parallels from the Sony Connect store or the Adobe Digital Editions interface. (I read about half-and-half books bought from the Sony store and library books in Adobe format.) Is that right--I can do that in Parallels with no problem? Would it be much safer to use Bootcamp? (I would prefer to use Parallels if possible.)

Then, if a firmware update appears, I should *not* attempt to install it in Parallels. The firmware update wouldn't launch itself automatically, right? I do have a Windows PC at work that I could use once in a while, I just don't want to have to do all my ebook downloading and management at work.
bradamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Set up a boot camp partition and use Parallels for it. Most everything should work in Parallels. But some recommend that you update firmware using a native Windows PC (boot camp).

That said, all you need windows for is to register the reader to your ADE account. If you are going to buy ebooks from the Sony store then you will need your VM to do that. But... I have never bought an ebook from the Sony store. (Even when before I had my Sony reader.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Parallels does not require a boot camp partition. You may use it to run the Sony software and transfer books. Consider VMWare Fusion also. It costs the same and I think it runs better.

You can cancel firmware updates if they show up.

Run ADE under OS X for transfers.

Last edited by dynabook; 04-22-2009 at 02:58 PM.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I use VMWare Fusion on my Mac for when I need to use another OS (personal preference - I just prefer it to Parallels). As far as the Sony goes I used it to register the device, and also to download books that refuse to download in any browser other than IE.

But I then lob the books onto my Mac partition, and shove them on the reader using Calibre

Can't comment about the firmware update side of things, never done it...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
Parallels does not require a boot camp partition.
I know that. I think you totally missed the point I was trying to make. My point is, if you set up a boot camp partition you can run that as a VM under Parallels most of the time. But, if you need to run the firmware updater, or have some other trouble then you can always re-boot into the boot camp partition and have a "native" windows machine running.

(BTW: I opted to buy fusion rather than parallels also)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
bradamant
bradamant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Reporting back: I've now had the Mac for a couple of weeks and have used VMWare Fusion and a Bootcamp partition to transfer books from my library (Adobe Digital Editions) and the Sony bookstore, with no problem.
bradamant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bootcamp, mac, parallels, sony 505