Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Is it worth the effort to produce audiobooks?

I self-publish my novels, releasing them in ePub, PDF, audio and ODT formats. Using the figures for downloads from my website only, the first novel shows ePub: 55%, PDF: 20% and audio: 5%. The second book has ePub: 85%, PDF: 7% and audio: 4%. I think it's interesting that ePub increased so dramatically in three years (2012-2015) while PDF decreased significantly as well. The audio formats were downloaded at close to the same rate. The third book in the trilogy hasn't been out long enough to have usable data.

What I'm wondering is, since there is a lot of work and time involved in producing an audiobook, are there enough people who care about them enough for me to continue?

Thank you.

rjb
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Without knowing what your percentage means I can't answer.
55% = how many books?
55, 110, 220, 440, 550 or more?
4%= how many audio files?
Does the profit outweigh the cost? Does the cost outweigh the profits?
In other words do you have enough listeners to make it worth your while?
Is 4% 4 people or 400?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My books are free (Creative Commons) so my only rewards are downloads and compliments, which I find very rewarding. I have over 25,000 downloads and the percentages probably match fairly closely to those on my website. I guess I want to know if people enjoy audiobooks enough to cater to the relatively small numbers.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
My books are free (Creative Commons) so my only rewards are downloads and compliments, which I find very rewarding. I have over 25,000 downloads and the percentages probably match fairly closely to those on my website. I guess I want to know if people enjoy audiobooks enough to cater to the relatively small numbers.
Pretty good numbers.
I say go for it if you want too.

Also thanks for the free reads.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Do you read the audiobooks yourself, or pay an actor to do so? If the former, do you enjoy the process of making the audiobooks? Does it cost much?

If you enjoy making the audiobooks and this doesn't cost much, carry on doing so. There are people who prefer them, especially those who 'read' while doing something else. There are also those, like the blind, who rely on them.

However, if you're paying an actor and the costs of production are significant and it's not something you like doing, give consideration to this balance. Is it worth it? Do you really want to continue, especially as you aren't retrieving your costs?

As an aside: I noticed that you don't have a mobi, or other kindle format. It's preferable to have these available for download than for the customer to use Calibre for conversion. Calibre is great, but author-formatted books are better.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Do you read the audiobooks yourself, or pay an actor to do so? If the former, do you enjoy the process of making the audiobooks? Does it cost much?

If you enjoy making the audiobooks and this doesn't cost much, carry on doing so. There are people who prefer them, especially those who 'read' while doing something else. There are also those, like the blind, who rely on them.

However, if you're paying an actor and the costs of production are significant and it's not something you like doing, give consideration to this balance. Is it worth it? Do you really want to continue, especially as you aren't retrieving your costs?

As an aside: I noticed that you don't have a mobi, or other kindle format. It's preferable to have these available for download than for the customer to use Calibre for conversion. Calibre is great, but author-formatted books are better.
I do my own readings, using Audacity for editing. The result is clean and I'm told I have a pleasant voice. It costs me almost nothing, a consideration when I'm not charging for them. I find the process satisfying, if a bit of a chore. If people find them enjoyable, then I'm happy. More feedback would be good, of course.-)

As for Kindle, there are links on my website where people can go and get that format, choosing to take them free, or to reward me if they prefer. I try to provide as many options as possible. I actually started recording them when one of my early supporters asked me to. She did so much and was so encouraging that I couldn't refuse.-) I even managed to create an important character dedicated to her.

I want to keep doing the readings, but the time and work involved come out of resources that could be used for writing. If people think the audiobooks are an important offering, then I'll continue.

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

After listening to a couple of books read by big name (SF) authors... I say: Get a professional Voice Actor (or 2). They are great at what they write... but!

Yes, do make an AZW3 + Mobi version available for download. Not everyone can (or wants to run Calibre). Even for a flat (no edit) conversion.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
After listening to a couple of books read by big name (SF) authors... I say: Get a professional Voice Actor (or 2). They are great at what they write... but!

Yes, do make an AZW3 + Mobi version available for download. Not everyone can (or wants to run Calibre). Even for a flat (no edit) conversion.
But you haven't listened to my books, so I'll take your advice, as they say, "under advisement."

WRT Kindle: see my reply to Book Cat. Thank you, though.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
arjaybe
Guru

Audiobooks are worth it

You've helped me decide that recording the audiobooks is worth it. Although the numbers might be relatively small, audio is important to the people who use it, so I'll keep providing it. Thank you for your help.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
You've helped me decide that recording the audiobooks is worth it. Although the numbers might be relatively small, audio is important to the people who use it, so I'll keep providing it. Thank you for your help.
Hey hun,
I couldn't open the audio file. Samsung tablet.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hey hun,
I couldn't open the audio file. Samsung tablet.
It is zipped. Each chapter is one file.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
It is zipped. Each chapter is one file.
Ok thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #13
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info.
It's a torrent file. You need a bittorrent client app. THEN you get the zip file.

Sorry. This is automatic on my computer. Guess I need to figure out how to make it easy on tablets.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Give me a shout when you do.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #15
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Give me a shout when you do.
Okay.