Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Question Problem with font

Hi all,

I have a problem with line spacing of an embedded font in an ePub file (attached). The font is Roman Antique.

The problem is that this font appears with very tight line spacing (actually overlapping lines) when I test the XHTML files in Opera. In my Cybook Orizon reader (using Adobe renderer) the spacing looks better, but when I select text using this font, only the bottom half or so of each line is marked. This, by the way, also happens in Opera, but with the top half.

I'd say there's something wrong with the height definition of this font, but I've tried opening it in FontForge and can't find where the problem is. So, I humbly ask for help in finding and fixing the cause of this behaviour.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test.epub (249.5 KB, 159 views)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
There's a marker that draws a baseline for the bottom half of characters such as p, j, q, g, etc., and it looks like it's right in the middle of the characters.

Here's Arial, Times New Roman, and your font:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Preview.png
Views:	221
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	85584

A - Ascender
C - Caps height
x - Character height
D - Descender

I don't remember how to do this in FontForge, but I can tell you how to change it using TypeTool 3 (Windows): Right click the "D" line, choose "Properties" and set it from 333 to -333. This looks like an exact match for the "g" character. Then go to File, Generate Font and select Open Type.

Even though I use Arch Linux as my main OS, I always thought that FontForge was fugleeee (emphasis on the eeee). It's why I keep a virtual machine with TinyXP around, for situations like this.

Last edited by DSpider; 04-22-2012 at 09:31 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Thanks, that gives me something to look at. I believe this is the relevant part of FontForge: http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/fon...ml#TTF-Metrics

But I can't say I'm being successful at fixing it. Maybe it's only because Opera doesn't reload the font file when it changes, but I've tried changing the filename every time too.

Could you change the two files in the sample ePub (regular and italic) and upload them? Maybe if I see the differences I can learn something.

----

Nevermind, I did it. I changed all offsets to 0 (they had some seemingly random values).

Last edited by Jellby; 04-22-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote