Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Thread management questions

The interface for MobileRead is pretty easy to use, even when not a member. One of the reasons I joined, besides being able to contribute, was to be able to track new threads to read. I can do that now, but with the overwhelming number of posts its still hard to keep up. I think I used to look at specific forums previously and not just all new posts. I've removed a lot of the forums from my new post check to help, and I'm starting to make use of the Subscribe to Thread feature, but there are a few other things that might help.

After selecting All New Posts, I usually click on the go to first unread post for a thread but I open it in a new tab. I do this with several posts of interest for a few pages at most. Then I use Mark Forums Read and read the tabbed entries (if I remember to ) Or I open it in the window, read it, and go back (scrolling back to the top of the thread to click All New Posts when showing 40 posts/page is a pain - although I think I just worked around that by putting a bookmark to All New Posts on my quicklinks toolbar)

However, once I click on the first unread link to open in new tab, the thread title does not change colour so its not clear I opened it, unless I use All New Posts - but this shows me post titles I've already ignored while scanning the titles.

Is there a way to have the title colour/weight change when opening first unread thread in new tab?

Is there a way to have an option on the All New Posts header that says something like Mark all threads on this page read and reloads all new posts.

Also, is there a way to move the Thread's header columns around - to put the Forum name before the Thread title? An option that would allow would be useful, but only as a user option. (I have a feeling that might not work as well as I think it might since reading from the left you'd have to skip to the next column).

And possibly an option to put the parent Forums name in the Forum column as well. With more subforums being created in Calibre it makes it a little harder to spot its for Calibre (although renaming might be an approach as well)

None of this is a big deal as I'll use forums to look for something specific but new posts is good for finding new tops. Just thinking about it while reading posts and curious how other people manage reading threads.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Must admit, Meme; after two years I haven't found an easier way than to go to 'forum spy', wait for the latest five posts to register and to then click on 'posts over the past 24 hours' and scroll through page after page. Takes me ages twice a day. Wish I could discover an easier and quicker way to check MR and keep up to date because my time is tight, but I haven't so far. Maybe I've not looked closely enough. I'd -- like you -- be glad of any short-cut suggestions because there are many threads that don't interest me in the lease. I don't, for instance, want to know about anyone's favourite video, where I'd rather be, etc. I want ebook-specific postings. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Ah, so that's what Forum spy is. Realtime list of posts - that makes me feel even more behind

At least there is a way to block specific forums from the all new posts, and you can go to the lounge, etc. separately when looking for a distraction.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'd like to be able to use Forum Spy for JUST the forums I subscribe to -- to filter out the ones I don't want to follow.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hi meme,

I am glad you find Mobileread easy to use. We are still striving to improve the experience, so we're thankful for every feedback we can get.

Quote:
However, once I click on the first unread link to open in new tab, the thread title does not change colour so its not clear I opened it, unless I use All New Posts - but this shows me post titles I've already ignored while scanning the titles. Is there a way to have the title colour/weight change when opening first unread thread in new tab?
You mean thread titles in your "New Post" list to change color/weight once you open them in a new post? Hmmm. Normally this would be possible by changing the link attribute to symbolize links that have been clicked upon.

Problem here is, when you do a "New Post" scan another time, and if the post you clicked on before has been updated in the meantime, your browser thinks that you have already clicked on the link, because the URL is not going to change (it always includes "goto=newpos" which will internally link you to the latest post of a thread that you haven't seen yet) and it would subsequently be displayed as already read.

Quote:
Is there a way to have an option on the All New Posts header that says something like Mark all threads on this page read and reloads all new posts.
This isn't implemented yet but it sounds certainly useful. Something we would consider to add in the future.

Quote:
Also, is there a way to move the Thread's header columns around - to put the Forum name before the Thread title? An option that would allow would be useful, but only as a user option. (I have a feeling that might not work as well as I think it might since reading from the left you'd have to skip to the next column).
Not sure how many users would take advantage of that option. Looking at the output and considering your idea, I thought perhaps it would also be a wise choice to move the Forum column after the Thread column before the Last Post column. Something we need to try out.

Quote:
And possibly an option to put the parent Forums name in the Forum column as well. With more subforums being created in Calibre it makes it a little harder to spot its for Calibre (although renaming might be an approach as well)
We've been aware that this might be an issue. Initially we tried to name subsections such that they could stand alone and make sense in what context they are (for example "calibre recipes"). Problem is, it makes the section names unnecessary long and cumbersome, so it's not an ideal solution. Adding the parent forum (what if we have a child of a child section?) might help. Will need to try it out.

Cheers,
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
AAt least there is a way to block specific forums from the all new posts, and you can go to the lounge, etc. separately when looking for a distraction.
It's true, the forum spy doesn't take into account forum sections that you have previously unselected in your user panel. We'll consider changing this.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
[...]I haven't found an easier way than to go to 'forum spy', wait for the latest five posts to register and to then click on 'posts over the past 24 hours'
[...]
You can also get to that list from the [Today's Posts] link at the top of the Quick Links menu in the main toolbar.

eta:
Quote:
...and scroll through page after page. Takes me ages twice a day. Wish I could discover an easier and quicker way to check MR and keep up to date because my time is tight, but I haven't so far. Maybe I've not looked closely enough. I'd -- like you -- be glad of any short-cut suggestions because there are many threads that don't interest me in the lease. I don't, for instance, want to know about anyone's favourite video, where I'd rather be, etc. I want ebook-specific postings. Cheers. Neil
You probably already know this, but you can ignore threads by opening them and selecting that option under "Thread Tools."

It's not as convenient as using a checkbox from the list view, but it's a start, at least for the long-term most-active threads.

Last edited by Piper_; 01-31-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote