Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
stgreek
stgreek began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Nokia N800
Cheap ebook reader (PRS-500?) for a starter

Hello all. I have been using my N800 with FBReader for quite some time and since I have read so many good things about E-ink readers I thought I might try one during my upcoming trip to South America. I would therefore like to buy a cheap E-ink reader, since I am not yet prepared to invest upwards of 300 Euros for something I might not like.

I have read here many times that you can easily find older e-ink readers very cheap on places like Ebay, but in the last month I have not found a single good offer. I would therefore like to give it a try here: Is there anyone who would be interested in selling their old E-ink reader for less than 100 Euros? Something like the PRS-500 would be great, and I would be prepared to pay a bit more if the reader was newer (although I understand that 150Euros for a Cybook might not be realistic). I live in the Netherlands, so a sale in the EU would be preferred, but other places are not excluded.

Let me know if you have something for me!

Thanks,
Stavros

Last edited by stgreek; 11-27-2008 at 04:20 PM.
stgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi, Stavros:

I don't have an answer for your question. Rather, I notice this is your first post and I would like to extend a warm welcome to you as you continue to explore the many threads here on MobileRead. We also have a very extensive and free ebook section.

I hope you find the Reader of your choice and at the price point you want - it will be challenging, as you seem to realize.

Thanks for posting.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
If you were living in North America it wouldn't be hard to find a cheap second
hand prs-500 on ebay... Unfortunately, as you probably know the european
ebook second hand market is scarce and american ebayers seldom ship
worldwide...

Anyway, currently the cheapest reader is the Cybook sold by W.H Smith
in the UK (180£), and there is a nice guy from this board who is willing
to forward them to non-UK people, see here :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=28723&page=5
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "going rate" for a second hand PRS-500 is about $200, but add to that, say $40-50 for secure shipping to Europe and you're looking at a total of around €190.

You might be better off looking at something like the EBW1150.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
stgreek

First of all, thank you all for the replies and the warm welcome!

Don: How would you rate the experience of E-ink versus LCD for ebook reading? I have the latter (the N800 is a truly great device) but the limitations (mainly battery and reading software) can be pretty important. I have never seen an E-ink reader up close, so how would you rate it?

guguy: For 180 pounds, the Gen3 is not really that cheap, since I can add few more Euros and buy it from the Netherlands. Also, for a similar price (around 225 Euros) I can get a PRS-505. Which do you think is a better option, if in the end I scale up to such prices? In case it makes a difference (for SW purposes), I use Linux on my PC.

Harry: This is exactly my problem. The PRS-500 is supposed to be a cheap alternative with the 505 and 700 in production, but it seems to cost as much as the 505!

I understand that this might be drifting a bit into the 'Which device should I buy' territory, but I hope that someone with an E-ink device they don't need will be able to offer it to me for a comfortable (for me) price.

Stavros
Old 11-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgreek View Post
guguy: For 180 pounds, the Gen3 is not really that cheap, since I can add few more Euros and buy it from the Netherlands. Also, for a similar price (around 225 Euros) I can get a PRS-505. Which do you think is a better option, if in the end I scale up to such prices? In case it makes a difference (for SW purposes), I use Linux on my PC.
The 505 is not a good choice if you don't have a Windows PC handy. You will not be able to apply firmware updates although they are few and far between. You also won't be able to buy from the Sony store... but you can't do that outside the US/Canada anyway so this probably doesn't affect you.

Also, if you get the 505 you are probably going to need to learn to remove DRM and convert books. While with the CyBook you won't need to be doing that since it supports the Mobipocket DRM which most ebook stores and libraries support.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgreek View Post
First of all, thank you all for the replies and the warm welcome!

Don: How would you rate the experience of E-ink versus LCD for ebook reading? I have the latter (the N800 is a truly great device) but the limitations (mainly battery and reading software) can be pretty important. I have never seen an E-ink reader up close, so how would you rate it?

Harry: This is exactly my problem. The PRS-500 is supposed to be a cheap alternative with the 505 and 700 in production, but it seems to cost as much as the 505!

I understand that this might be drifting a bit into the 'Which device should I buy' territory, but I hope that someone with an E-ink device they don't need will be able to offer it to me for a comfortable (for me) price.

Stavros
I'll specifically stick to your question you asked of me:

Well, I really love e-ink devices. When I saw the earlier Sony Reader PRS-500 (which I eventually bought, by the way), I loved it but it took a few months for me to decide to buy it, specifically because of the price. I kept thinking about it and realized that reading is a great passion I have. When I came to that (always) understandable conclusion, it was easy for me to take the plunge.

When I saw the Sony 505, I thought the improved screen was such a dramatic improvement that I bought it on the spot and sold both my 500s to one person for $300 (and it included some extras).

I also have two LCD legacy units that I love, but only one is working. This is the REB 1100. However, there is nothing comparable to an e-ink display and the incredible battery life.

These are just my thoughts.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi Stavros,

I sent you a PM. Have a Cybook on offer.

Groet,
Adelheid
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
stgreek

Thanks to adelheid, I am now the owner of a wonderful Cybook Gen3
Old 11-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "going rate" for a second hand PRS-500 is about $200, but add to that, say $40-50 for secure shipping to Europe and you're looking at a total of around €190.

You might be better off looking at something like the EBW1150.
i bought one on Ebay for 150 bucks used, it was perfect... untill my girlfriend sat on it, was still able to resell it for 60 though
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote