Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Iliad - extended warranty.

I would like to open a new discussion about the Iliad's hardware problems, which I think will be inevitable in the coming months, because of the expiration of warranty for the early buyers.

I must admit that I do not (yet) own an Iliad, but I would not like to spend that much money for the product, that will last me for only one year.

What I would like is for us to put some pressure on Irex to provide some options for the extended warranty. I would be happy with extra two years of warranty with the expense in the range from 50-100 EUR.

Obviously this extended warranty should be made available to all existing Iliad customers. With the flood of screen related problems recently and the cost of 275 EUR for screen replacement, this should be a interesting topic.

What do you think?
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan
I extra two years of warranty with the expense in the range from 50-100 EUR.
If you have the right credit card you can do what I did and get a free 2 year extended waranty. Plvs youusually getaccrdetaldamage coyerage.

Sorry entered thrs on bus usi, my iLiad
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
bruce
Software Developer
bruce began at the beginning.

Device: Sage, Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite, iLiad, reb1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
If you have the right credit card you can do what I did and get a free 2 year extended waranty.
American Express by any chance?
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Heather
Determined Newbie
Heather began at the beginning.

Also interested in extended warranty....

As my TWO WEEK OLD iLiad is sloooooowly failing (horizontal lines that have multiplied from one to three in the space of a week and are visible even when the machine is turned *off*), I would also be interested in extended warranty. Frankly, it's fairly scandalous to me that there are so many problems with the screen (from reading this board and the iRex forums) in such a short period of time, with some people reporting the need to replace multiple units. And some at their own expense....

So sign me up on the list of those interested. I don't want to buy a Sony ebook reader, I really don't, but....it's half the price and I don't read about these problems with units that are barely a few weeks old.

If the iLiad screen is *so* fragile, then maybe they should ship protective covers with them...? I was not impressed with having to pay an additional $100 for a cover (including the shipping) after already dropping close to USD$800 on the unit in the first place. Too bad this cover hasn't helped prevent the screen lines, which look a bit like eInk run amok.

It's my understanding (from reading other posts of people with similar issues) that the mystery lines are actually a known hardware issue and the iLiad will need to be replaced. Beautiful. So glad I paid for overnight shipping from Europe to the US about three weeks ago. Sure enjoyed my iLiad while I had it, but now when people ask to see my cool new ebook reader I have to try to explain away the three horizontal stripes visible (and apparently procreating) about an inch below the top of the screen. Needless to say, none of the people who have asked to see my iRex have been impressed by this issue appearing after less than a dozen hours of use. I was flipping pages in a PDF ebook, and one page was fine, the next had a line. Then two days ago there were two lines. Now there are three. Sigh.

Back on point: I think an extended warranty option is a must, especially if they want anyone to buy the most expensive ebook reader on the market....twice the price of its competitor....otherwise new buyers will go with Sony and figure that even if it dies they can afford to buy another one and still be ahead of the game.

Don't get me wrong, though--I love the iLiad (and hate Sony's "squeeze the consumer til they are bled dry" profit model even more). I love everything about the iLiad except all the bugs and hardware issues and the cost. On, and the documentation--gah, why bother, I've had to figure everything out for myself. But I digress.

I will admit that I'm struggling to keep an open mind with the "early adopters beware" caveat firmly in the forefront. However, if iRex wants to get this neat little device beyond the early adopters phase, they'd best proceed very carefully with customer service/warranty returns in the face of these issues.

Update: I have finally been instructed to send pictures of my problematic screen (three days after my initial request for assistance was sent) to tech support. That's on the agenda for today. We'll see what happens next. I'm hoping to be wowed and impressed by the customer service and to really enjoy the Mobipocket support on this device. It's exactly what I've been waiting for.....except for those darned caveats.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
bojan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather
Don't get me wrong, though--I love the iLiad (and hate Sony's "squeeze the consumer til they are bled dry" profit model even more). I love everything about the iLiad except all the bugs and hardware issues and the cost.

Back on point: I think an extended warranty option is a must, especially if they want anyone to buy the most expensive ebook reader on the market....twice the price of its competitor....otherwise new buyers will go with Sony and figure that even if it dies they can afford to buy another one and still be ahead of the game.
Hi Heather,

This are my thoughts exactly, and why I'm still interested in Iliad, but my patience is also running out and I will be forced to by Sony or wait until they sort out their problems.

Quote:
It's my understanding (from reading other posts of people with similar issues) that the mystery lines are actually a known hardware issue and the iLiad will need to be replaced.
As you have probably seen in the iRex forum (http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...228&highlight=), they direct you to their tech service, but they do not want to give any information regarding the nature of this defects. In my opinion it's a production related problem, but they will never admit to this, because under EU they are obligated to cover this costs even after warranty (I'm not absolutely sure about this though!), and the darkening of screen problem maybe the same issue.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
bojan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
If you have the right credit card you can do what I did and get a free 2 year extended waranty.
I have seen this options with MasterCard Platinum,Gold cards and American Express for US and Canada customers, but I'm not sure if this works for EU, so I will try to check this at my bank.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
bruce
Software Developer
bruce began at the beginning.

Device: Sage, Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite, iLiad, reb1100
Inspired by the above, checked and confirmed my AMEX card does indeed automatically extend the warranty. Cool, had forgotten about that little feature :-)
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
ollie
ollie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Just got my Iliad, seems if I try installing dillo and that kind of thing there is no warranty.
There is also no usb connector to gert to my computer usb.
The wifi can't connect to my home network which works for everything else.
Seems it isn't a Linux computer, which is what I wanted to experiment with, but a regrettably slow and very expensive, well, joke.

I will try sending it back if I can.
Thanks for the very informative messages here.

Update - The Iliad has gone back, all too much for me at this time. I will watch and see what others appear.
The 9.7 inch with stylus like Astak Mentor seems better for me and is Windows Ce I think,
many thanks for the helpful replies.

Last edited by ollie; 05-23-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: updated
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
don't EU customers get a mandatory 1/2y warranty already?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Just got my Iliad, seems if I try installing dillo and that kind of thing there is no warranty.
You still have your warranty if you install 3rd party software (dillio, etc). What you don't get is warranty coverage if the 3rd party software breaks anything. Basically, iRex is saying that their warranty will not cover other people's software problems. They'll still fix their own software, or any hardware issues you have.

Quote:
The USB connector is on the charger. Did you look there?

Quote:
It should be able to if you configured it correctly. What type of wifi router are you using, and what security (if any)? Some people have reported problems getting the iLiad to work on an N router, but it should be fine with B or G routers. I'm using mine at home on a G router with WEP. It works without any problems.

Quote:
Seems it isn't a Linux computer
It is running Linux. What makes you think it isn't?

Quote:
which is what I wanted to experiment with, but a regrettably slow and very expensive, well, joke.

It's your choice, but you seem fairly confused and/or misinformed about what the iLiad can do.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Seems it isn't a Linux computer, which is what I wanted to experiment with, but a regrettably slow and very expensive, well, joke.

Are you sure you've bought an iLiad? Check the lettering on the case

Mine:
- has a USB connector (in fact, two of them),
- connects to my computer via USB just fine,
- connects to my home network wirelessly and downloads fresh documents off a shared network folder by itself
- is a Linux computer,
- wasn't very expensive (about $500) and
- certainly doesn't seem like a joke.

It is a bit slow, just as any other e-ink device is, and hacking it does, in fact, void the warranty, just as with any other device (more or less). I'll give you that.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The USB port on the iLiad is for memory sticks. The USB port for connecting to a computer is on the "travel hub".

The iLiad is running Linux and you can load your own apps on it if you get the developers package, however it isn't a good choice for learning Linux because most Linux applications won't run on a device this resource limited. The non-standard nature of E-Ink displays is also a issue when porting Linux applications to the iLiad.

There have been reported issues with some WiFi configurations, see WPA fix.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #13
jbernaldo10375
jbernaldo10375 began at the beginning.

Device: Looking
Quote:

Update - The Iliad has gone back, all too much for me at this time. I will watch and see what others appear.
ollie, did you purchase your iliad online from irex or from a reseller?

I'm very happy with my iliad and I don't want to return it, but I'm curious to know if irex would accept an iLiad back because the purchaser changed their mind.

How long did you use the iliad for before returning it? Did you get it to connect to your PC - you said there was no USB connector? I thought they all came with USB connectors.

Last edited by jbernaldo10375; 05-23-2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: updated
jbernaldo10375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:47 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernaldo10375 View Post
I'm very happy with my iliad and I don't want to return it, but I'm curious to know if irex would accept an iLiad back because the purchaser changed their mind.
I very much doubt it. That certainly isn't a legal right that consumers have in the EU.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I very much doubt it. That certainly isn't a legal right that consumers have in the EU.
I think they have a 7 day return/refund policy. I didn't see any restrictions on the reason for returning it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote