Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #121
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kindle-hopes: Sigh. >_<". Fixed the whitelist in the JB, thanks for pointing that out .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #122
kindle-hopes
kindle-hopes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
After another couple of hours of testing and trying, the process still fails for me during the last stage. I tried all kinds of combinations of the two jailbreaks, with and without NO_TTS option, with and without enlarged rootfs.img etc. Some observations:

- my final update bin seems to be quite small (320M). Is that normal? Or might the process of creating it be flawed invisibly (the log seems fine)?

- the tts-files.tar is always empty. any clues? (should, as far as I understood the process, not be a problem however)

- when I try to manually compile the create_updater bin (to include the trick used by qinbill), the create_packages.sh fails with "[: 80: txt: unexpected operator" and "./create_packages.sh: 80: Bad substitution" - any clues?

- I wonder if the whole problem might be that the root fs of the DXG is too small for the whole of K3, is that possible? Since the update seems to fail at about 60% (after two or three restarts of the progress bar, did not count precisely), I wonder if it might be some version of "disk full"...

- finally, I found out that sbin/setup.sh in extra.tar.gz in the create_updater calls "mntroot_rw" instead of "mntroot rw" towards the end. Might that cause the error?

I very much hope these reports are of any use to Yifan Lu, who did such a brilliant job so far - and I would love to see proper PDF on my DXG...
kindle-hopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #123
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Sorry about all the problems. I'm really busy this few weeks, so I cannot do much.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #124
kindle-hopes

Thats perfectly understandable - you did a lot already. I would love to hear from the other testers, though (here or in PM) - in particular how large the files in each step grew (to track down disk full / files omitted)...
Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #125
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Kindle-hopes, thanks for keeping the thread alive until Yifanlu gets time to concentrate on this again.

My file sizes were:
rootfs.img: 400MB (409 624 kB, 419 454 976 bytes)
update_restore-os.bin: 280MB (287 134 kB, 294 024 336 bytes)
update_dxg-update-os.bin: 252MB (258 430 kB, 264 632 122 bytes)

Last edited by DickeFix; 05-04-2011 at 08:41 AM.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #126
kindle-hopes

Another update: it partly works now! Silly mistake on my side: to recompile the updater-bin (including qinbill's changes to make-package.ffs), I have to use bash and not any other shell, of course...

Anyway, using qinbills method (move the tts-data on /mnt/us and comment the tts stuff out in make-mackage.ffs) it works now. Or should I say: the generate updater-bin installs flawlessly on the DXG, and the DXG has decent PDF!!

What does annoyingly NOT work, however (as reported by qinbill, too) is access to the USB drive from my computer. If I plug the kindle in, Linux detects an external storage, but no partitions on it. I can - as a workaround - access the userstore from recovery mode (hold down Enter during reboot and then press E), so I can put files on the kindle etc. What I can't do that way is put update pacakges, however, since the kindle would then try to install them during boot, which fails.

I had a look at the dumped messages (`dumpMessages), which show no obvious error - the partitions are clearly intact (otherwise I could not read my files), but they are for whatever reason not exported. lipc-props says:

Quote:
I lipc-propsrop:: r Int mmcIsAvailable [0]
I lipc-propsrop:: r Int userstoreFreeSpace [3504416]
I lipc-propsrop:: r Int driveModeState [0]
I lipc-propsrop:: r Int mmcFreeSpace [-1]
I lipc-propsrop:: rw Int useUsbForSerial [0]
I lipc-propsrop:: w Int userstoreReadyToUnMount
I lipc-propsrop:: rw Str logMask [0xffff0000]
I lipc-propsrop:: r Int mmcTotalSpace [-1]
I lipc-propsrop:: rw Int useUsbForNetwork [0]
I lipc-propsrop:: r Int userstoreTotalSpace [3506528]
which seems somewhat contradictory: mmctotalspace, mmcisavailable etc seem wrong, while userstoretotalspace seems alright?

Anyway, my next step is to compile another update package, this time with usbnetwork installed on the K3W (and usbnet folder transferred to the dxg) to check if I could then get root access on the updated DXG to further explore what happened to the USB partition...

In the meantime, any thoughts about the problem are appreciated...
Old 05-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #127
kindle-hopes

Also: does anybody with more experience of the recovery menu know what "initialize partitions" does? I would not want to give it a try without a clear idea of how it works - not that I totally brick the thing...
Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #128
kindle-hopes

Update: when usbnet hack was installed on K3W when creating the update bin for the DXG, and when one manually transfers the usbnet directory in userstore to DXG, usbnet on DXG works. That way I was able to install hacks (putting them somewhere else in userstore during recovery menu, then rebooting, then telnetting in and moving the update file, then updating). I was unsuccessful, however, to figure out why the userstore is not being exported in the first place - any input very welcome. I will continue to explore what happens...
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #129
kindle-hopes

Update: the problem seems to be that the g_file_storage module gets loaded, but somehow does not get the info which directory to export to the USB gadget. Thus the computer sees a storage device, but no actual partition.

Apparently, the parameter is not added on module load, but sometime later by the framework via sysfs, and defining it manually in /etc/modules does not work. I assume that DXG and K3W handle this process (of exporting userstore to USB) differently, and that it got screwed somewhere on the way.

Maybe Yifan Lu can sort it out once he finds more time for it - for the time being, I at least will have to go through the recovery mode each time I want to upload or download files to my Kindle...

This nuisance apart: it is GREAT GREAT GREAT work you have don, Yifan Lu - now I can actually annotate and highlight PDFs on my Kindle DX, i.e. make proper use of it as an academic. Many many thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #130
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kindle-hopes: Yeah, there's a weird interaction with the volumd daemon on FW 3.x that makes userstore exports wonky when we're touching the USB gadgets modules.... I'm not sure anymore how I worked around that in the usbnet hack (mostly by starting *after* volumd, I think). Can't remember if always passing the extra args needed to specify which part to export when loading g_file_storage was enough.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #131
kindle-hopes

@NiLuJe, thanks for pointing that out - it does not work with usbnet installed either, however (and currently the k3w-usbnet is still installed)
Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #132
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle-hopes View Post
Update: the problem seems to be that the g_file_storage module gets loaded, but somehow does not get the info which directory to export to the USB gadget. Thus the computer sees a storage device, but no actual partition.
looks like the following command
Code:
echo /dev/mmcblk0p4 > /sys/devices/platform/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/file
solves the problem. It also looks like that it should be issued only once after the arc_udc gets loaded.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #133
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
looks like the following command
Code:
echo /dev/mmcblk0p4 > /sys/devices/platform/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/file
solves the problem. It also looks like that it should be issued only once after the arc_udc gets loaded.
Thanks. I've just remembered, this error is very similar to the last (battery). The kindle reads most of it's paramaters from something they call KDB (Kindle data base)? It's found in /etc/kdb/ which links to /etc/kdb.src/mario (which I've created based on tested values). I got busy, so I didn't complete the database, hence why it couldn't find the battery. Now I've remembered that /etc/kdb/mario/system/driver/usb/gadget has all the paramaters point to /dev/null. I'll try to find the correct values when I have time, but just a heads up to anyone with any kind of errors. Look in the kdb. If you want to see working values, compare to the luigi folder (that's for the Kindle 3).

EDIT: A temporary fix I think would be placing "/sys/devices/platform/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/file" into /var/local/system/drivemode_online. A more permanent fix would be placing it into /etc/kdb.src/mario/system/driver/usb/gadget/SYS_GADGET_ONLINE before installing. If someone can find the values for ALL the paramaters listed in the gadget folder, that would be awesome, though.

EDIT: Nvm, found them. The problem was I was searching with usbnetwork ssh. That disabled the filesystem gadget, so I didn't see anything.

EDIT 2: If you have USB problems, these are the values (in /etc/kdb.src/mario/system/driver/usb/gadget/ open the file and paste it after "<DATA>" make sure you do not have ANYTHING else after, including whitespace or invisible characters inserted by*most text editors. Use a hex editor):
SYS_GADGET_CONNECTED: /sys/bus/platform/devices/arc_udc/connected
SYS_GADGET_FILE: /sys/devices/platform/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/file
SYS_GADGET_ONLINE: /sys/devices/platform/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/online
SYS_GADGET_ONLINE_BUS: /sys/bus/platform/devices/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/online
SYS_GADGET_RO: /sys/devices/platform/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/ro

Also see if this fixes any sound problems.

EDIT 3: While I'm here, I might as well try to fix 3G. Here's a possible fix, I can't try because my Kindle's 3G modem is broken.

1) Delete the folder /etc/kdb/system/daemon/pmond/wifid (this stops wifid from try to init every 20 seconds eating up battery & also removes wifi settings from the settings page)
2) Edit /etc/kdb/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface1/priority and under <DATA> change the "2" to "1". (I think the problem was that wifi was first priority, so you can see the 3G icon, but the framework tried to use Wifi)

Last edited by yifanlu; 05-10-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #134
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
unfortunately, the EDIT 2: didn't work for me (DXG).
Now when the USB is connected it just hides the list of user
documents, but doesn't show the "USB connected" screen.
Drive letter gets created on the host, but the drive is not accessible.
Writing to /sys/devices/platform/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/file still helps...
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #135
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
unfortunately, the EDIT 2: didn't work for me (DXG).
Now when the USB is connected it just hides the list of user
documents, but doesn't show the "USB connected" screen.
Drive letter gets created on the host, but the drive is not accessible.
Writing to /sys/devices/platform/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/file still helps...
Edit /var/local/system/drivemode_online or do a factory reset.