Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
rknelissen
rknelissen began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M90
Mobi One Windows 7 tablet PC

This week, Ndigo will launch the ‘Mobi One, powered by ExoPC’ in the Netherlands. The Mobi One is a 11,6inch Windows 7 tablet PC with powerful performance.

In Canada and the USA the Mobi One ™ has received many positive reviews, mainly because of it’s unique Windows 7 UI layer. This UI (User Interface) is specially designed to get the most out of this 11.6”tablet. The powerful Mobi One ™, with it’s 1.66 GHz Intel Atom N450 processor and 2GB DDR2 memory is ideal for more critical users, like business people, people on universities etcetera.

The Mobi One ™ got a 32GB Solid State Drive memory. Optionally, customers can choose for an upgrade to the 64GB solid state drive version which also includes 3G + GPS functionality. The dimensions of the Mobi One ™ are 295mm x 195mm x 14mm, with a weight of only 990 grams, thanks to its lightweight magnesium alloy.

It’s 11.6 inch 1366 x 768 pixel display can be used by a fully capacitive multi-touch screen. Full HD 1080p output image quality is guaranteed by the mini HDMI connector, which supports SD (Standard Definition) and HD (High Definition). Thereby, you can make a videoconference with the Mobi One, using the built-in webcam. The Mobi One ™ is standard equiped with: WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, USB, SD card slot, built-in speakers, built-in microphone and a headphone jack.

Currently, the offer in Windows 7 tablets in the Netherlands is very limited. There is no other brand yet offering a Windows 7 tablet PC with a special UI layer, like the Mobi One™. Unlike many other tablets the Mobi One fully supports Flash and Silverlight, which makes this tablet ideal for applications in educational use and for business.

The Mobi One ™ is now available at www.tablets-store.com from 799 euros. The 64GB version with 3G and GPS is available from this week. The 32GB version has been delayed due to recent circumstances in Japan. More information about this tablet can be found at www.mobi-one.nl.
rknelissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
rknelissen

What do you guys think about a Windows 7 tablet? Can it be better then the iPad or Android devices?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
very nice. These are the sort of devices I am eagerly waiting for. But we'll see if the build quality and other particulars of this device are once released into the wild. Also the US price will go a long way to the eventual viability of a device for a large market segment and, well, for me!!

thnaks for the info, I have added it to my news watch list.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

oh, well, nope this device is a total fail for me. The screen ratio is about 1.8 (~16:9 ratio) so that 11.6" is pure marketing fluff and makes the design of this particular run counter to the reason most who want a large format reader need to use it for.

We need devices as close to a 1.3 (4:3) screen ratio as possible. 1.778 is waaaaaay to far into the tall & skinny wide screen. Not even going to get a second glance from me. oh, well the search goes on.

Last edited by grumpy3b; 04-07-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rknelissen View Post
What do you guys think about a Windows 7 tablet? Can it be better then the iPad or Android devices?
I have a windows tablet and you can do a lot more with it than you can with the iPad or Android. I just couldn't get used to the limitations, only one window running at a time, paying for all those apps, not being able to run many windows only programs, etc.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Interesting device

Last edited by Onyx Europe; 04-08-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
rknelissen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I have a windows tablet and you can do a lot more with it than you can with the iPad or Android. I just couldn't get used to the limitations, only one window running at a time, paying for all those apps, not being able to run many windows only programs, etc.
That's what concerns me the most, that I can't use my favorite applications on the iPad and Android Tablet. I don't want to get rid of my applications that I use on my windows desktop.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Just from the hardware, the device seems to offer hardware similar to the android /ios platforms. The biggest difference is that it offers 2GB. of RAM, and that helps a lot.

I was not sure if this is a full windows 7 device or a mobile version. If it is the full win7 then this is a more capable device, plus you get the added bonus of being able to run your windows app. The downside is those apps are designed for full systems and you might not have the best experience since that tablet is by no means comparable to a full fledged laptop or pc.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
With the smaller screen size of some of these tablets I don't see the value of having multiple window screen. The clutter would be too much, I much prefer the interface rim and Google have developed where the user can easily switch between windows. In rims case you can preview all the apps that are running.

My one grip is with these ios apps that are ported to Android, they still carry over the iPhone paradigm and shutdown when they are not on the front.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
grumpy3b
Banned

Something that the OP might consider is the new Asus 12" Win7 tablet the Eee 121 that runs a full version of Win7 Home. It's in the same price range, at least here in the US, at about $1000-$1200. So far I haven't seen any concrete reviews on this one but it's on my short list just because it is a larger screen and at 16:10 it's better screen height wise in landsacpe than a 16:9. It reads as a small difference in the ratio but really it is better.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QhWKR7Fmv4jDLbBY

The battery life is relatively dismal by today's standards for a tablet, not much better than the Mobi One offering at about 4hrs, but it is a larger screen and maybe a bit more capable CPU using the Dual-Core i5 470um vs the Mobi One's Atom 1.6ghz but I have not paid a ton of attention to CPU specs for a while and really don't know which models give the best bang for the buck.

At least it's a comparable platform with the Mobi One offering. A shame one the screen for the Mobi One being 16:9 as I mentioned before that is just a bit too wide screen for a tablet, or laptop for that matter and how I would be using the device.

I am really intrigued by the ability to run a full version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking on a 12" slate to dictate my notes while I work then port them over to the primary workstation for correction then integrate in the database. But based on playing with Dragon NS on the Touch 4 it is darned accurate these days and that was just a free web based version. It's a solid alternative for me over a keyboard as my dictating won't bother anyone else as it's just me.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have an Asus EEE T-91 MT Windows 7 convertible tablet. Aside from it being grossly underpowered and having a resistive touch interface, my experience with Windows tablets is that while the OS and UI can be optimized for the touch interface, the applications are not.

Sure, I can run MS Office on it, but when the ribbon and buttons are not optimized for touch, and the onscreen keyboard covers most of the useful window all those added features quickly become a hindrance rather than an asset. Usually I found myself rotating the screen and using the keyboard and touchpad instead of the touch screen. And eventually retiring the T-91 and going back to my 10 inch Asus netbook.

Before a desktop/laptop OS can be successful on a tablet the applications need to be optimized for tablet use.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I have an Asus EEE T-91 MT Windows 7 convertible tablet. Aside from it being grossly underpowered and having a resistive touch interface, my experience with Windows tablets is that while the OS and UI can be optimized for the touch interface, the applications are not.

Sure, I can run MS Office on it, but when the ribbon and buttons are not optimized for touch, and the onscreen keyboard covers most of the useful window all those added features quickly become a hindrance rather than an asset. Usually I found myself rotating the screen and using the keyboard and touchpad instead of the touch screen. And eventually retiring the T-91 and going back to my 10 inch Asus netbook.

Before a desktop/laptop OS can be successful on a tablet the applications need to be optimized for tablet use.
OK......obviously it can't be done and software never is adapted or improved.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
With the smaller screen size of some of these tablets I don't see the value of having multiple window screen. The clutter would be too much, I much prefer the interface rim and Google have developed where the user can easily switch between windows. In rims case you can preview all the apps that are running.

My one grip is with these ios apps that are ported to Android, they still carry over the iPhone paradigm and shutdown when they are not on the front.
On a 12.1 inch screen it is quite easy to have Outlook open in one window, a small newscast in a second and browser in a third. They can be easily resized as you concentrate on one or the other.

In the end it really depends on what you use it for. I prefer an all-in-one around the home and not to have to carry 2 devices on my frequent trips. And Windows tablets will only get better in the near future, as new processors increase battery life and make smaller form factors possible.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:

Isn't that the point? Using office on any tablet makes no sense. Even if you had a fully Android optimized version you would still want a BT keyboard for it. If you run Outlook, Word, Excel on a 10" screen and then an onscreen keyboard takes up 1/3 the screen, you can't work very well -- I don't see how that is different in Android or IOS.

That is the beauty of a Windows 7 convertible tablet, a tablet for reading, browsing, watching movies, etc. And a full computer when needed. But my advice is to get at least a core i5 or so, those slow, underpowered machines can drive you nuts.

The next generation (coming soon) of the Asus EP121 would be a very solid choice. The current one's battery life is just too short and you can't swap batteries.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-08-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

The Ribbon actually works pretty well on a touchscreen (HP TX2 here). Better than legacy Office.

Of course you need the keyboard to do real work. That's what it's there for

The Asus EP121 is getting pretty good reviews for a Windows tablet.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote