Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Apple has long had rolling updates on release day. By that I mean they don't seed it to all update servers at the same time. That way everything does not get slammed at the same time. It's been that way for years. It's annoying, but I've found that if you really want it, just keep trying and it normally shows up by 5 pm EST.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Looking forward to the Apple One family bundle. As I already subscribe to 2tb of icloud, and Apple Music Family....and I WOULD likely be subscribing to Apple Tv+ when my free year finishes.

So that means Fitness+, Apple Arcade, and Apple News+ are free.
That's my thought as well. I don't really have any interest in Apple News+, but like you I already have Apple Music, Apple Match and 200 GB iCloud. Apple TV+ renews on Nov 1st. Fitness + might be interesting, we will see. I'm not a huge gamer, but I wouldn't mind some new games.

I did pick up an Apple Watch 6. It's suppose to show up some time between the 25th and 27th. The O2Sp sensor is the biggest reason, though I also want the always on. The altimeter is also of interest.

Last edited by pwalker8; 09-16-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #33
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Apple has long had rolling updates on release day. By that I mean they don't seed it to all update servers at the same time. That way everything does not get slammed at the same time. It's been that way for years. It's annoying, but I've found that if you really want it, just keep trying and it normally shows up by 5 pm EST.
No one anywhere has gotten the update yet, at least as of about 12:00 pm PDT. Rolling is not the issue...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #34
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well this might explain the delay. Here is the Apple employee with the job of pressing the Release button.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Looking forward to the Apple One family bundle. As I already subscribe to 2tb of icloud, and Apple Music Family....and I WOULD likely be subscribing to Apple Tv+ when my free year finishes.

So that means Fitness+, Apple Arcade, and Apple News+ are free.
I need Fitness+ now! With COVID, I still don’t feel safe going to the fitness center we are members of, and because of wildfires in OR/CA air quality doesn’t allow for outdoor workouts.

And yes Apple One will save me a little money as I subscribe to everything separately now. I probably could and should do without Arcade as the one game I play regularly is a huge time-waster.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-16-2020 at 04:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #36
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I’m downloading the iPadOS 14 update now. Aparently Apple has just gone live with the updates.

ETA: Public releases of iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and tvOS 14 are now available for download and installation. I don’t have an Apple Watch so I can’t verify if watchOS 7 is available.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-16-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #37
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I’m downloading the iPadOS 14 update now. Aparently Apple has just gone live with the updates.
Same.

WatchOS 7 is there as well (but is saying ‘6 hours remaining’ for d/l!)

Last edited by tomsem; 09-16-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #38
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I was checking "all day" and then you guys told me it was finally ready . Downloading both my iPhone and iPad mini. Fingers crossed
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #39
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Same.

WatchOS 7 is there as well (but is saying ‘6 hours remaining’ for d/l!)
I jumped right on the iPadOS 14 when it first became available and it d/l ed and installed on my ipad mini 5 fast and without issue.

I started d/l of ios 14 on my iPhone XR a few minutes later and it still says about 49 minutes remaining. It has been saying that for a long time already!

I started d/l of iPadOS 14 on my iPad Pro 9.7 inch a few minutes ago and it has already d/l ed and it is now in the Preparing Update stage.

ETA: Still d/l ing to iPhone XR. Says 49 min remaining, then says 20 min, then says 34 min, then goes back to 49 min. I hope it isn’t screwing up. I installed tvOS 14 on my TV 4K without any issues.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-16-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #40
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me the download wasn't so bad. Not sure as I didn't time, it, but I'd say definitely less than 30min, probably more like 10 to 15min.

Then it needed to "prepare" - another 15min

Then I was given the Install button

Then it validated for 10 to 15min

Now it's finally installing....it's about 20% done after 5min
Old 09-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #41
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
For me the download wasn't so bad. Not sure as I didn't time, it, but I'd say definitely less than 30min, probably more like 10 to 15min.

Then it needed to "prepare" - another 15min

Then I was given the Install button

Then it validated for 10 to 15min

Now it's finally installing....it's about 20% done after 5min
Both of my iPads downloaded and installed fairly quickly. My iPhone XR took over an hour to download the update and is just now in the Preparing Update stage. I suspect there were more iPhones being updated than iPads and that slowed down the servers for the iOS 14 update.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #42
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Both of my iPads downloaded and installed fairly quickly. My iPhone XR took over an hour to download the update and is just now in the Preparing Update stage. I suspect there were more iPhones being updated than iPads and that slowed down the servers for the iOS 14 update.
Both iPhone and iPad are now updated. Maybe an hour each. Definitely not more. Now trying to update my Apple Watch 2
Old 09-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Everything has updated except Watch, which now says ‘3 hours remaining’.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #44
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

TV 4K, two iPads, and iPhone XR have all updated. The iPhone XR took about 1 hour and 45 minutes, but once it got it downloaded it went fairly quick. Now I’ve got to figure out what changed and what is new.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No one anywhere has gotten the update yet, at least as of about 12:00 pm PDT. Rolling is not the issue...
I was still getting "your device is up to date" well after people reported that they had already download and installed it. It was around 5 before I was able to start downloading for my various devices (iPad, Apple Watch, iPhone and Apple TV). All are updated now.