Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #106
SpaceCowboy1964
Enthusiast
SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOKcolor, NOOK for Android app, Kindle for PC app, Kindle for Android
I'm one of those that prefers a dedicated MP3 player because I prefer to use my phone for something beyond music while I am out. I keep a copy of whatever blog/other writing I'm working on on it and if I think of something I want to add I work on that. I find it easier to keep the page that is on up than digging through multiple pages of apps and the music player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yeah, dedicated MP3 players are pretty a niche market these days whether it's low end devices like the SanDisk Clips and a myriad of no-name Chinese devices or very high end players like the FiiOs and Astell & Kerns.

Smartphones can do it all for most people, so why pay for extra devices? Still, there are those of us who prefer a dedicated device for music and audiobooks for various reasons. That's where prepaid/no-contract phones come in and there are quite a few out there coming in at less than $50 fully paid. If you want an unlocked version of the same phone, count on adding another $100 or so to the price tag.

My reason for getting a separate media player is because I don't use smartphones. I still use old-school flip phones because they're small enough to fit and survive in the front pocket of my blue jeans; smartphones can't.

While my Sansa Clips work quite well for audiobooks and music I own, they can't play Spotify and that's a must-have feature I need in a music player. Enter the inexpensive prepaid phones. By not activating them, they function exactly the same way a WiFi tablet does; only in a much smaller package. Though in recent years, they keep getting larger and larger as the smartphone market keeps pushing ever larger displays; much to my chagrin.

It's been a week and a half since I received my new Moto E6 and I'm still very pleased with it. The only downside is its large size, something I like. I placed a 128GB mSD card in it and loaded it with audiobooks and lots of Spotify playlists. So it's definitely working out for my needs.

Hopefully, this phone will go on sale again for BF. If not, there'll be other comparable phones that will.

So stay tuned...
SpaceCowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #107
SpaceCowboy1964
Enthusiast
SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got a Otterbox Defender for my Note 10+ when I upgraded at the beginning of the year. After having two of them break in as many months I switched to a Zizo Bolt case like I had on my Galaxy S7 Edge. I haven't had any problems with that one yet. I think these days you are paying for the name with Otterbox not quality.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ZIZO-BOLT...lack/544852805

Quote:
I know. When you get very inexpensive devices, sometimes the cases cost as much or even more than the device itself. I considered one very rugged case, but it cost more than the Moto E6. I just couldn't get my brain to wrap around it. So I passed and got this case instead.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:12 PM   #108
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy1964 View Post
I'm one of those that prefers a dedicated MP3 player because I prefer to use my phone for something beyond music while I am out. I keep a copy of whatever blog/other writing I'm working on on it and if I think of something I want to add I work on that. I find it easier to keep the page that is on up than digging through multiple pages of apps and the music player.
Would a second phone with relevant software, just without a SIM count, as a "dedicated MP3 player" for these purposes
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:21 PM   #109
SpaceCowboy1964
Enthusiast

I use a couple older ones of those as MP3 players as well as about a dozen EMATiC brand MP3 players. I'm actually deciding between an unlocked no sim phone and 2 more EMATICs right now. And to answer the question of why so many I have almost 500 gigs of digital music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Would a second phone with relevant software, just without a SIM count, as a "dedicated MP3 player" for these purposes
Old 10-31-2020, 01:57 AM   #110
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Target Reveals “Black Friday Now” Deals, Available Throughout November

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS - October 29, 2020

* Retailer reveals “Black Friday Now” deals for the first week of November and previews upcoming offers so shoppers can plan ahead

* Extended Price Match Guarantee provides assurance guests can get the greatest value, regardless of when they shop
Quote:
Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT) today revealed its “Black Friday Now” deals, a series of week-long sales that run throughout November, making it easy for guests to plan ahead and find the best deals, whenever they choose to shop. To give holiday shoppers extra confidence, the retailer is also updating and expanding its Price Match Guarantee, so Target guests don’t need to worry about sacrificing savings if they shop early.

“We’re taking a completely new approach to Black Friday, giving guests more flexibility and ensuring they can plan ahead for a safe, stress-free shopping experience,” said Christina Hennington, executive vice president and chief merchandising officer, Target. “By offering a preview of our ‘Black Friday Now’ deals for the entire month of November and extending our Price Match Guarantee, we’re taking the guesswork out of holiday shopping and making Target the easiest place to get the best deals.”
Black Friday Now
Quote:
New this year, nearly all of Target’s “Black Friday Now” deals will be available for an entire week, both in stores and on Target.com. And for the first time, the retailer is offering guests a full-month view of its “Black Friday Now” offers, so they can plan ahead to shop the deals that matter most to them. See below for a look at some of the “Black Friday Now” deals available the week of Nov. 1, as well as a preview of weekly deals to come:

Nov. 1-7: Target will offer must-have deals on Electronics, including Beats Studio 3 headphones ($174.99; reg. $349.99), Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones ($199.99; reg. $299.99) and Ring Video Doorbell 3 ($139.99; reg. $199.99). Target will add even more deals from Nov. 6-8 on items like the Keurig K Mini ($49.99; reg. $89.99), Dyson V8 vacuum ($229.99; reg. $379.99) and TCL 65” 4K UHD HDR Android Smart TV ($229.99; reg. $399.99)

Nov. 8-14: Deals on Kitchen favorites and Floorcare

Nov. 15-21: Deals on the season’s hottest Electronics, Apparel and Beauty products

Nov. 22-28: Deals on Toys, Kitchen, Floorcare and Electronics, including video games and select consoles

Guests will find specific “Black Friday Now” deals via the retailer’s digital weekly ad, which is available on Target.com each Thursday prior to the items going on sale on Sunday. Nearly all “Black Friday Now” deals will be available via Target’s contactless same-day Drive Up and Order Pickup services, and more deals than ever can be received via same-day delivery with Shipt. This means guests can get their orders on top deals in as soon as one hour, with no membership required.
Price Match Guarantee
Quote:
Offering guests assurance that they can count on Target for the greatest deals regardless of when they shop, all “Black Friday Now” deals qualify for Target’s extended Price Match Guarantee. From Nov. 1 through Dec. 24, guests can request a price adjustment for any item advertised as a “Black Friday Now” deal if it is offered for a lower price at Target or Target.com later in the season. As always, Target will match select competitors’ prices within 14 days of a purchase throughout the majority of the season. More details here.

Visit Target.com for a closer look at “Black Friday Now” deals and to access dozens of gift lists as guests plan to shop deals for everyone on their list.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #111
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
To those using prepaid phones as "other than phones", please remember that they will still dial 911, even if they are never activated. This is by federal law. If a phone has power, it can call emergency services. This will not be a problem in 99.9% of cases, but accidental calls have been made, by adults and children. Just wanted to give a reminder, not a lecture. If you do every accidentally call 911, please explain what happened and don't just hang up because they are required to try to find out if there is a problem and will only have a general location ping from gps. They will also not be able to call the phone back, because it has no service and technically no phone number. It always showed up on our screen as unknown (911), or something like that. Don't get me started on the officers who couldn't understand and would insist we call them back, multiple times.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:31 AM   #112
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
To those using prepaid phones as "other than phones", please remember that they will still dial 911, even if they are never activated. This is by federal law. If a phone has power, it can call emergency services. This will not be a problem in 99.9% of cases, but accidental calls have been made, by adults and children. Just wanted to give a reminder, not a lecture. If you do every accidentally call 911, please explain what happened and don't just hang up because they are required to try to find out if there is a problem and will only have a general location ping from gps. They will also not be able to call the phone back, because it has no service and technically no phone number. It always showed up on our screen as unknown (911), or something like that. Don't get me started on the officers who couldn't understand and would insist we call them back, multiple times.
Thanks for the info. The dialer app on my Moto E6 is tucked out of sight inside the app drawer. No chance of an accidental call there.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #113
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
No one's mentioned what I consider the number one reason for having a dedicated mp3 player: battery life. My AGPTek gets more than 20 hours on a single charge.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:25 AM   #114
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No one's mentioned what I consider the number one reason for having a dedicated mp3 player: battery life. My AGPTek gets more than 20 hours on a single charge.
That's the nice thing about those small MP3 players. If only they could play my Spotify playlists, hence the major reason why I opt for prepaid phones.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:45 AM   #115
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Kohl's Black Friday --- ad scan | ad listing --- BF 2019

================================================== ==========

News Briefs================================================== ==========

Discounts================================================== ==========

Doorbusters
  • doorbusters drop at specific dates & times -- so plan ahead
================================================== ==========

Tablets --- 22~27 Nov================================================== ==========

Stream Audio --- 22~27 Nov================================================== ==========

Stream Video --- 22~27 Nov================================================== ==========

Accessories --- 22~27 Nov================================================== ==========

EXPIRED OFFERS================================================== ==========

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-16-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:56 PM   #116
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Yeah, dedicated MP3 players are pretty a niche market these days whether it's low end devices like the SanDisk Clips and a myriad of no-name Chinese devices or very high end players like the FiiOs and Astell & Kerns.

Smartphones can do it all for most people, so why pay for extra devices? Still, there are those of us who prefer a dedicated device for music and audiobooks for various reasons. That's where prepaid/no-contract phones come in and there are quite a few out there coming in at less than $50 fully paid. If you want an unlocked version of the same phone, count on adding another $100 or so to the price tag.

My reason for getting a separate media player is because I don't use smartphones. I still use old-school flip phones because they're small enough to fit and survive in the front pocket of my blue jeans; smartphones can't.

While my Sansa Clips work quite well for audiobooks and music I own, they can't play Spotify and that's a must-have feature I need in a music player. Enter the inexpensive prepaid phones. By not activating them, they function exactly the same way a WiFi tablet does; only in a much smaller package. Though in recent years, they keep getting larger and larger as the smartphone market keeps pushing ever larger displays; much to my chagrin.

It's been a week and a half since I received my new Moto E6 and I'm still very pleased with it. The only downside is its large size, something I like. I placed a 128GB mSD card in it and loaded it with audiobooks and lots of Spotify playlists. So it's definitely working out for my needs.

Hopefully, this phone will go on sale again for BF. If not, there'll be other comparable phones that will.

So stay tuned...
I got tired of buying mp3 players that wouldn't even last a year. So I bought a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime phone. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...s%2C163&sr=8-2 Got it from Best Buy about 2 or more years ago for like $50.00.

It has a replaceable battery, 5.5" screen, I won't go lower than 5 inches in screen size. I use it as my mp3 player and it also has all of my books loaded on it if I need it as an ereader.

I won't ever buy another mp3 player, when a cheap phone will do a much better job!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #117
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
I got a Otterbox Defender for my Note 10+ when I upgraded at the beginning of the year. After having two of them break in as many months I switched to a Zizo Bolt case like I had on my Galaxy S7 Edge. I haven't had any problems with that one yet. I think these days you are paying for the name with Otterbox not quality.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ZIZO-BOLT...lack/544852805
Did they break when you dropped the phone? If so that's perfectly acceptable, as the whole idea is for the case to take the brunt of the drop damage instead of the much more fragile phone. My dad went through three or four cases on his last phone (a Galaxy S4 Mini), but the phone survived all the drops.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #118
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
Did they break when you dropped the phone? If so that's perfectly acceptable, as the whole idea is for the case to take the brunt of the drop damage instead of the much more fragile phone. My dad went through three or four cases on his last phone (a Galaxy S4 Mini), but the phone survived all the drops.
The holder on mine would allow the phone to fall out while walking. The case was less than 6 months old. I was lucky that the phone did not break even though it fell face down a couple of times. I was sent a new one, although I had to pay shipping. I have had it a couple of weeks now and will see if it lasts longer.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #119
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
How long would a phone in airplane mode with the screen off play music anyway, I suspect you'd approach that 20 hours?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #120
SpaceCowboy1964
Enthusiast

No they broke off when I barely touched the side of the table while on lunch at work. Also $54 every month is not something I can afford. The ZIZO Bolt is $17.54 and frankly built better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post