Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #61
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I’ve been using iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 for about 24 hours now and all seems okay with both. It seems like they did a better job than they did with iPadOS 13.0 which released on 24 Sept 2019 but sucked so bad they had to rush out a 13.1 release three days later on 27 Sept 2020. Version 14 seems pretty stable so far.

I’ve also been using tvOS 14 for about 24 hours and it also seems stable. I don’t have a 4K TV so I can’t test that feature. I haven’t tried the picture in a picture feature yet either.

Hopefully watchOS 7 is stable too.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #62
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The difference is that the iPad runs apps and Windows laptops run programs.
Actually the Windows laptops can run apps as well. Microsoft even has a store these days.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #63
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I encountered a small cosmetic bug in iPadOS 14 involving Widgets. As seen in the attached image, some of the Widget tiles seem to resize themselves for no apparent reason. I see the resizing after swiping to other Home pages then returning. Notice the clock Widgets or different sizes. Other Widgets have resized as well. I also see multiple smaller app icons. Way to go Apple!

ETA: Further investigation shows that the Widget and app icon sizes get messed up after changing the Wallpaper. Kind of odd, but I can reproduce it over and over again. I also found that restarting the iPad corrects the sizing issue.

I’m also encountering difficulty with sending attached images via my WIFi only iPad mini 5 via Messages to non-Apple devices. (Sending images to other Apple devices uses iMessages via SMS whereas sending to non-Apple devices uses Messages via MMS.) I have MMS Messaging turned on in my iPhone XR Settings and have the Text Message Forwarding turned on for my iPad mini 5, so it should work. Not sure if this is just an anomaly are a bug because the same image that failed multiple times to send to one contact worked with another contact. Both contacts have non-Apple phones. This issue seems to recur after upgrading to a new iPadOS.

ETA: I was never able to get one attached image to send to one friend, even though I tried several times. It did send to another friend via a separate Message. However, I tried another image via separate Messages to the same guys and both received the image on the first try. So it was probably an anomaly of some sort perhaps due to the image itself. I don’t think it was an iPadOS bug.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C965205-0FFD-4542-BD96-8256BDF912CC.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	182009  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-17-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:45 PM   #64
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

This is kind of cool. I’m not sure if this is documented, so here is what I found. Look at the two screen captures. In the first the Today View on my iPad mini 5 is scrolled up to display the bottom of same. Notice the small text indicating time and date in the upper-left of screen. When I scroll the Today Screen down to display the top of that view, the text moves down and is much larger and easier to read. I’ve never noticed this before, so maybe it is new, or maybe I just never noticed it in the past.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51E3CA15-D179-43C2-9081-551739897A7F.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	182010   Click image for larger version

Name:	F88857A1-C7EE-4EBB-81EE-283CE9866850.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	182011  
Old 09-17-2020, 11:15 PM   #65
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
This is kind of cool. I’m not sure if this is documented, so here is what I found. Look at the two screen captures. In the first the Today View on my iPad mini 5 is scrolled up to display the bottom of same. Notice the small text indicating time and date in the upper-left of screen. When I scroll the Today Screen down to display the top of that view, the text moves down and is much larger and easier to read. I’ve never noticed this before, so maybe it is new, or maybe I just never noticed it in the past.

On 9.7" or bigger iPads, behavior's same on 13.

Note, you can even pin widgets so they always show on home screen after hiding other widgets (swipe down twice in Today View). I prefer a cleaner look so I usually keep just the weather widget.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-17-2020 at 11:19 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:35 AM   #66
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
On 9.7" or bigger iPads, behavior's same on 13.

Note, you can even pin widgets so they always show on home screen after hiding other widgets (swipe down twice in Today View). I prefer a cleaner look so I usually keep just the weather widget.
Thanks, that is much cleaner looking and a swipe up brings back the widgets you hid.

Hopefully we will start to get some 3rd party widgets before too long.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:44 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
This was already announced in WWDC. I think the consensus was iOS 14 was more of an iPhone-oriented updated while next year will probably be iPad improvements again.

Iirc, 13 was focused more on iPads rather than iPhone.
iOS 13 was awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #68
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I’ve been using iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 for about 24 hours now and all seems okay with both. It seems like they did a better job than they did with iPadOS 13.0 which released on 24 Sept 2019 but sucked so bad they had to rush out a 13.1 release three days later on 27 Sept 2020. Version 14 seems pretty stable so far.
Yeah, I was running the 13 beta on my backup device. Iirc, I waited until 13.2 or something before upgrading my main device because of issues/bugs with Downloads, Files and Share Sheet. Too many under the hood changes on 13.

14 seems to be more about refinement.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #69
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I can’t get Settings—>Camera—>Mirror Front Camera to work. It doesn’t do anything on my iPhone XR or iPad mini 5. I haven’t tried it on my other iPad yet.

ETA: The actual photo is mirrored, or not, once taken, but it doesn’t change the preview in the Camera app, which can lead one to think it isn’t set correctly. In other words, regardless of whether mirrored is toggled on or off, you always get a mirrored preview. That seems rather stupid. I’m not sure why anyone would ever want a mirrored photo since the photo will be flipped backwards in the left/right axis and any text will thus be backwards too. Regardless, the preview should display how the photo will look, it shouldn’t always show it mirrored when it is not set to mirrored.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-19-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #70
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Sudden battery drain issue on iPad mini 5 after creating a stacked widget:

Battery life under iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 had been okay until last evening. It still seems okay on my iPhone XR, but it went south fast after I added a stacked widget to my iPad mini 5. The stacked widget has The Weather Channel, News, Calendar, and Podcasts wizards in the stack and is NOT set to rotate by some weird Apple scheme. I turned the mini screen off overnight and the battery dropped 32%! WTBleep! I checked the Battery settings and it shows that the Notes app was the main culprit, but that makes no sense at all. Notes has no need to keep in contact with the iCloud at all times. It should be able to phone home after it is opened to see if any changes to any notes have been made on other devices. The listing for Notes showed the words widget underneath it, but I don’t have Notes in a widget. Maybe the Battery app is wonky and flagged Notes rather than the stacked widget. I can see News and WX both wanting to constantly phone home, and perhaps Podcasts too, but not Notes. I'm charging the mini now and will verify later, but prior to updating to iPadOS 14 and iOS 14 I had the Do Not Disturb settings scheduled for 23:00 to 07:00 on all my devices. The iPhone XR shows that to still be the case. I'll check the mini when I get back home.

And one more thing, to channel the ghost of Jobs, the first thing I checked this morning was whether the mini had been downloading updated apps over night. It hadn't, and manually checking showed no new app updates available. So that wasn't the culprit.

Notes being the culprit still bothers me. I spend way more time on Safari than all the other apps combined, yet the Battery setting usage graph showed Notes being used way more than any other app. That is a big ? IMO!

ETA: I’m back where I can look at my iPad mini again. I attached a screen capture showing the Battery settings and another showing the stacked widget I placed on my Home screen. The Battery graph shows 56% of usage is tied to the Notes, app and in small text below that states, “Widget, Background Activity.” So it looks like Apple has a battery issue with widgets on the Home screen in iPadOS 14. My iPhone XR only has the 2x2 Clock widget on its Home screen, and it doesn’t seem to have this battery issue. Bu I don’t have the four widget stacked widget on my iPhone XR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04B653FD-1BEB-40D8-A063-D89484A2D091.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	182045   Click image for larger version

Name:	E63300B6-2BB1-418A-AA47-2D3E1C1B9714.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	182046  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-20-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #71
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Another odd thing happened after installing iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 on three devices, and I have never seen this happen with other updates. Apparently the updates changed the mapping addresses for my iPhone XR and two iPads, which is understandable because they are set to be auto assigned. But then a large number of apps I opened asked me to allow them to find all the devices associated with my account or the app. That usually happens only when you first install an app like Netflix. Again, I never encountered this with any other Apple updates in the past.

ETA: An article on iPhoneHacks states this:

Quote:
Find My ‘Other’ Devices
The Find My app in iPadOS 14 no longer restricts you to locating Apple devices only. Apple has released a draft specification that allows third-party accessories and products to participate in a network accessory program, which means that it’s now possible to use the Find My app to discover other important non-Apple devices as well.

However, recent reports indicate that Apple will place more restrictions on third-party devices that intend to use Find My. This could end up as a hindrance to the overall user experience.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-20-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #72
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Sudden battery drain issue on iPad mini 5 after creating a stacked widget:

Battery life under iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 had been okay until last evening. It still seems okay on my iPhone XR, but it went south fast after I added a stacked widget to my iPad mini 5. The stacked widget has The Weather Channel, News, Calendar, and Podcasts wizards in the stack and is NOT set to rotate by some weird Apple scheme. I turned the mini screen off overnight and the battery dropped 32%! WTBleep! I checked the Battery settings and it shows that the Notes app was the main culprit, but that makes no sense at all. Notes has no need to keep in contact with the iCloud at all times. It should be able to phone home after it is opened to see if any changes to any notes have been made on other devices. The listing for Notes showed the words widget underneath it, but I don’t have Notes in a widget. Maybe the Battery app is wonky and flagged Notes rather than the stacked widget. I can see News and WX both wanting to constantly phone home, and perhaps Podcasts too, but not Notes. I'm charging the mini now and will verify later, but prior to updating to iPadOS 14 and iOS 14 I had the Do Not Disturb settings scheduled for 23:00 to 07:00 on all my devices. The iPhone XR shows that to still be the case. I'll check the mini when I get back home.

And one more thing, to channel the ghost of Jobs, the first thing I checked this morning was whether the mini had been downloading updated apps over night. It hadn't, and manually checking showed no new app updates available. So that wasn't the culprit.

Notes being the culprit still bothers me. I spend way more time on Safari than all the other apps combined, yet the Battery setting usage graph showed Notes being used way more than any other app. That is a big ? IMO!

ETA: I’m back where I can look at my iPad mini again. I attached a screen capture showing the Battery settings and another showing the stacked widget I placed on my Home screen. The Battery graph shows 56% of usage is tied to the Notes, app and in small text below that states, “Widget, Background Activity.” So it looks like Apple has a battery issue with widgets on the Home screen in iPadOS 14. My iPhone XR only has the 2x2 Clock widget on its Home screen, and it doesn’t seem to have this battery issue. Bu I don’t have the four widget stacked widget on my iPhone XR.
I noticed something similar, but it was the pocketcast (the app I use for podcasts) that got tagged. The issue went away. My guess is some sort of network process that was running in the back ground after the initial install that didn't shutdown properly.

Yea, I noticed the frequent 3rd party connect to other devices request. I just say no.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #73
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I've had one instance of a runaway app that just started sucking the battery dry -- and making my phone hot. It was a local radio station app.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #74
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I noticed something similar, but it was the pocketcast (the app I use for podcasts) that got tagged. The issue went away. My guess is some sort of network process that was running in the back ground after the initial install that didn't shutdown properly.

Yea, I noticed the frequent 3rd party connect to other devices request. I just say no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I've had one instance of a runaway app that just started sucking the battery dry -- and making my phone hot. It was a local radio station app.
The run away apps from those which haven't been updated for iOS / iPadOS 14 are always a possibility. So far my iPhone XR is doing okay on battery. My iPad mini 5 tanked over Saturday and Saturday night, but I restarted it and it seems to be okay now. I haven't run my iPad Pro 9.7" enough to see if there are any issues. It is completely turned off right now and usually stays that way.

Over all I’m liking 14 much better than 13 mostly because of the improved stability, especially in iPadOS 14. The new widgets functionality is okay but not really that useful yet because 3rd party widgets for 14 have yet to materialize. Hopefully we will see some good 3rd party widgets before long, although they have had months to develop them and haven’t done so yet. Widgets that were created for 13 and haven't been updated for 14 still seem to work, but only under 13 parameters.

ETA: I’ve had the iPad mini 5 on for about 3.25 hours today and it has only drained 14% of the battery charge. So it is doing much better today. That is around 4.5% per hour drain rather than the 15% per hour over the past weekend.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-21-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #75
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I went from 14 or so home pages to 3 . Except for the apps on the first two screens, I just search for an app anyway.

I do like the "Smart widget". It is uncovering some really great photos of mine. There is definitely some smarts there.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote