Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #16
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
There are several programs that can merge your edits with the original PDF. One is provided by iRex, and there are some free ones developed by community members, too.

Also, if you make notes on plain "paper" on the iLiad, each page is saved as a .png file and they are linked by an xml file. You can access the images directly on your PC/Mac/Linux system.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Can it read secured PDFs?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #18
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Password protected, yes. Otherwise secured, no. Adobe hasn't allowed anyone else to make software to do that, I believe, and Adobe hasn't ported Acrobat to the iLiad.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Password protected, yes. Otherwise secured, no. Adobe hasn't allowed anyone else to make software to do that, I believe, and Adobe hasn't ported Acrobat to the iLiad.
I see.
It means that any pdf files from CD that comes with Microsoft books and is secured but not passworded will be unreadable on iLiad.

ILiad can read HTML files. Can it read CHM files?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader can read CHM files, but it may hang if they are very large. The limit may be content dependent, but it failed for me on a ~7 MB CHM file (that was readable using FBReader on a Windows Desktop).

The Windows MobiPocket Reader is supposed to import CHM files and export a .MOBI file which is then readable using the iLiad's MobiPocket Reader (and probably by FBReader too). However, this did not work on the few CHM files I tried.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert

Not a very enticing overall feeling...ehm.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

There was a script floating around a while ago that would page through PDFs and take snapshots of them, for processing by OCR. Not elegant, and not that fast, either. I don't know how many secure PDF documents you might need to convert....
Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #23
astra
The Introvert

Well, secured pdf should not be a big issue. I just thought that if I have a genuine PDF file that arrived with pbook, I will be able to read it on the iLiad until I realised that if it is secured I cannot do it. I believe I can always find a copy of the same pdf with security stripped.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert

A few more questions:

How well does it handle HTML books?

So far, I have encountered 3 types of books in html format.

1. Basic one. just one big HTML file, let's say 2M.

2. The same file but there is another folder that is called images and the HTML file in question has links to the image files in this folder.

3. Many HTML files. Book is devided into chapters or something like that. I think Baen does it this way as well.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #25
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
A few more questions:

How well does it handle HTML books?

So far, I have encountered 3 types of books in html format.

1. Basic one. just one big HTML file, let's say 2M.
I've not tried so I don't know. If you happen to know of a large HTML file I could try and then let you know.

Quote:
2. The same file but there is another folder that is called images and the HTML file in question has links to the image files in this folder.
It handles links to images in another folder just fine.

Quote:
3. Many HTML files. Book is devided into chapters or something like that. I think Baen does it this way as well.
It also handles this fine.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #26
astra
The Introvert

I think I didn't express myself clear enough

2. When I said there is a HTML file with a folder which contains images that are linked to this file, I meant that when you open this HTML on your PC you get a nice book with pics that are located in the images folder.

3. So, you can navigate between chapters?
I think this type of books usually have a TOC html file and you click on chapter 1o, go there, read it and click on some sort of arrow which takes your forward to next chapter or back to a previous.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #27
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
I think I didn't express myself clear enough

2. When I said there is a HTML file with a folder which contains images that are linked to this file, I meant that when you open this HTML on your PC you get a nice book with pics that are located in the images folder.
Yep. It uses a modified version of minimo. Adam has done some clever work that's makes it possible to surf the web on the iliad. Look at this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13089

The images in this thread are from the modified version, but it still gives you an idea of how well pages are displayed, images are embedded and links are followed. (BTW the keyboard in the image is something that you activate when you need it).

Quote:
3. So, you can navigate between chapters?
I think this type of books usually have a TOC html file and you click on chapter 1o, go there, read it and click on some sort of arrow which takes your forward to next chapter or back to a previous.
I don't have any of these books, but yes, a TOC file that uses hyperlinks will work fine.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #29
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

The minimo reader for HTML has some pretty serious limitations, though. For example, it doesn't remember what page you were on if you stop in the middle of a book. I prefer FBReader for my HTML books.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #30
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The minimo reader for HTML has some pretty serious limitations, though. For example, it doesn't remember what page you were on if you stop in the middle of a book. I prefer FBReader for my HTML books.
Do you find it convenient to read html books or do you convert them into mobipocket format with BD?