Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 12-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #16
endemion06463
Enthusiast
endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
E-readers don't have lcd screens. That's why they are bought in addition to other devices that can give eye strain. It's about all that e-readers like Boyue have going for them but it's important.
Seems you didn't get that I was giving a general android example.

Also technically eReaders can have lcd screens (example). The opposite is also true. In fact the mars could be considered a tablet with e-ink screen. The real difference is if the device is geared towards reading or not.
The more eye strain thing is largely a myth unless you have a really really old device. There has been actual research into the subject (PMID: 22762257). Whether you go for e-ink is more about battery life, readability in bright places and other such considerations.

As for what boyue has going on for them is mostly the fact that it runs on android, as in that you can actually run android apps on it and such. I'm only aware of 2 brands that offer ereaders running on (proper) android.

Last edited by endemion06463; 12-10-2021 at 07:11 PM.
endemion06463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:24 AM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by endemion06463 View Post
I'm only aware of 2 brands that offer ereaders running on (proper) android.
Which ones do you mean?
I know Boyue-Likebook, Onyx-Boox, Tolino, InkBook, Bookeen, and there are probably some more
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #18
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Well endemion06463 you are a lot easier pleased than me. The iPad is my idea of a high performance tablet and the PC is an effective multipurpose device. E-readers remain pretty much e-readers whatever the brand name. They struggle to run anything more recent than android 8.1 and even then perform at a snail's pace. I doubt we'll see any updates to more recent versions of android from Boyue. Common sense and experience tells me that reading for extensive periods is easier on the eyes with an e-reader than with an lcd screen.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #19
endemion06463
Enthusiast
endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Which ones do you mean?
I know Boyue-Likebook, Onyx-Boox, Tolino, InkBook, Bookeen, and there are probably some more
I was referring to the first two.

Tolino doesn't doesn't run "proper" android. Well I don't know about their latest version though last time I held one I was utterly disappointed on how limited they were. Not even a file browser available. I doubt much has changed.

InkBook are they still around?

Bookeen and such are rather obscure (expensive?), also not exactly e-readers either. I think the term for those devices would be e-notes. More of a notepad than a reader.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #20
endemion06463
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
Well endemion06463 you are a lot easier pleased than me. The iPad is my idea of a high performance tablet and the PC is an effective multipurpose device. E-readers remain pretty much e-readers whatever the brand name. They struggle to run anything more recent than android 8.1 and even then perform at a snail's pace. I doubt we'll see any updates to more recent versions of android from Boyue. Common sense and experience tells me that reading for extensive periods is easier on the eyes with an e-reader than with an lcd screen.
I don't think my "pleasure" is relevant here. I guess you're referring to things that aren't suited for an e-ink screen and therefore you have a hard time calling a device with such a screen anything but an e-reader? You may have a point there but looking at it from another perspective, you could also say that if you can do more than use it for reading "it's a tablet" or at least it's elevated beyond an e-reader. Guess you'll have to decide for yourself. I'm sticking with whether the device is geared towards reading or not instead of a specific kind of screen.

(crApple is notorious for (relatively) low spec, high price products, not my idea of high end/high performance)

Not sure why you're hung up on the android version. It follows for a large part the same idiotic version increase scheme as chrome. You know where they hand out entire new version numbers to minor updates (apps written for 5.0 are still compatible). Also an OS should not tax the system it's running on to much. So you can easily consider an OS that needs better hardware specs than it's predecessor a failure.

Whether performance runs "at a snail's pace" depends on a multitude of things. It's pretty hard to tell with e-ink to begin with. Even an high end tablet would still seem slow if it were using an e-ink screen. Those screens are just slow. If you hooked up an lcd screen to the mars it would (likely) perform similar to a regular tablet it has sufficient specs for that (even more so for it's successor).

In what way does "common sense" play a part on it being easier on the eyes? Especially after I've shown you a study that tells us otherwise?

How much of your experience in this regard is due to the nocebo effect? That's rhetorical as you can't really tell such things as an individual.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:06 AM   #21
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
"In what way does "common sense" play a part on it being easier on the eyes? Especially after I've shown you a study that tells us otherwise?"
It took many many decades before smoking was accepted as being harmful. There were cigarettes recommended by doctors and studies that showed it was not unhealthy to smoke. I gave up on the basis of common sense and the loaded life insurance premiums for young smokers.

Try an iPad as it's unlikely that you own one. They are cheap compared with what I paid for the Boyue Alita.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, plenty of studies show LCD & OLED is inferior to eink for reading. It's more tiring to eye muscles. Refocusing on reflections. Also view angle.

Serious problems in sunlight and reflected light.

There is nothing at all special about iPad screens. There are equal quality non-Apple laptops, notebooks and tablets. Except for high end Samsung they are cheaper. Apple has a very high profit margin.

One company dominates epaper screens, eink company. The eink screens are very expensive.

Another advantage for reading is the zero power consumption of eink except when turning the page.

Yes, you can get excellent 10" tablets cheaper than the Mars was or P78 is. They have a different use. I have Kobo Libra for most reading, a Mars for suitable PDFs and ebooks via BorrowBox (County Library app), a smart phone, a laptop with 1920x1080 built in.
All my content creation is on a 23" 2K (2560x1440) screen on the laptop.
The 10" LCD tablet gets plenty of use too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote