Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-28-2022, 12:14 PM   #1
Gunivortus
Enthusiast
Gunivortus began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note 3
Last read page

At starting my Onyx Boox Note 3 not the last read page I read appears, but the overview of folders. and I've to go through several maps before I found back the author and book I was reading.
I cannot find a setting that let the last read page appear immediately at starting the eReader again.
Can someone point me to such a setting?

Regards,
Gunivortus
Gunivortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
In the power options change power-off timeout from 15 minutes or whatever it is to something like 1 day or never. What you're running into is the reader turning off instead of just sleeping.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:37 AM   #3
Gunivortus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
In the power options change power-off timeout from 15 minutes or whatever it is to something like 1 day or never. What you're running into is the reader turning off instead of just sleeping.
Thanks!
Good to know.
Still, I'd like the last page kept also after power off. :-)
Old 05-29-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Hmm, I've never run into this. Even if a device is powering down it should have suspended the application some time before at which the application should have used the opportunity to save last reading point. Moreover, if it had ever done this you should at least get a LRP of a few chapters back from the last successful save.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
Gunivortus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Hmm, I've never run into this. Even if a device is powering down it should have suspended the application some time before at which the application should have used the opportunity to save last reading point. Moreover, if it had ever done this you should at least get a LRP of a few chapters back from the last successful save.
Yeah, my previous reader kept the last read page in memory, even if the power was off. (At least, as long as the battery pack had charge).
Old 05-29-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunivortus View Post
Yeah, my previous reader kept the last read page in memory, even if the power was off. (At least, as long as the battery pack had charge).
What reader was that? If I turn off my Boox devices and reopen a book in Neoreader it still saves my page. It just doesn't boot to back to the book but neither does a Kobo or Kindle. Heck you can't even turn the Kindle off without hacking it.

If you set the device to never power off automatically it will keep the last page in memory as long as the battery pack has a charge too because it's just sleeping.

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 05-29-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:16 AM   #7
Gunivortus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
What reader was that?
Oh, if I remember well, it was an Icarus Illumina Pro. It's a while back.

Quote:
If you set the device to never power off automatically it will keep the last page in memory as long as the battery pack has a charge too because it's just sleeping.
Done that meanwhile after your first advice.
Further I do like my Onyx Boox Note 3.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:34 AM   #8
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think we're talking about two different things: whether your page is visible when you hit the power switch or whether you have to hit "Last Read" first.

(I'm not exactly familiar with the kreader, but I have a button on my (custom) launcher for "Last Read".)
Old 05-29-2022, 12:25 PM   #9
Gunivortus
Enthusiast

Quote:
I think we're talking about two different things: whether your page is visible when you hit the power switch or whether you have to hit "Last Read" first.

(I'm not exactly familiar with the kreader, but I have a button on my (custom) launcher for "Last Read".)
I have not seen a setting at my Boox Note 3 for 'last read'.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:19 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard

There's nothing in the Onyx stuff to just go directly to LRB/LRP?

I use my Poke3 almost exclusively for reading. Normally it's only sleeping and I can just open the (magnetic) cover to where I'm reading. OTOH, I do lots of hacking so I reboot often. I could have it boot up directly to LRB/LRP, but I prefer just going to my launcher in case I want to switch to a parallel book.

Normally your "library" app and your "reader" app are part of the same ecosystem. The library has to keep track of what you're reading and the reader has to save the LRB/LRP when it gets suspended. I would think that if you start the reader app without giving any extra data in the intent it would naturally open the LRB/LRP. If there is no button or shortcut you could write one yourself, but it would have to match/know about how the library/reader is structuring the data in the database.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lunch.png
Views:	72
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	194019  
Old 05-29-2022, 02:01 PM   #11
Gunivortus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Normally your "library" app and your "reader" app are part of the same ecosystem. The library has to keep track of what you're reading and the reader has to save the LRB/LRP when it gets suspended. I would think that if you start the reader app without giving any extra data in the intent it would naturally open the LRB/LRP. If there is no button or shortcut you could write one yourself, but it would have to match/know about how the library/reader is structuring the data in the database.
My menu on the left side, from top to bottom is:
Library, Shop, Notes, Storage, Apps, Settings
That's all.
Just did a software update, but that didn't change it.
But the workaround from salamanderjuice is workable.

I too only use the device for reading only. All other options like play music, making drawings I've never used.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #12
Renate
Wizard

Just out of curiousity, back out of your book and try:
Code:
# am start -n com.onyx.kreader/.ui.ReaderHomeActivity
Does your book reappear? Does this work from a fresh boot?
Old 05-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #13
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
There's nothing in the Onyx stuff to just go directly to LRB/LRP?

I use my Poke3 almost exclusively for reading. Normally it's only sleeping and I can just open the (magnetic) cover to where I'm reading. OTOH, I do lots of hacking so I reboot often. I could have it boot up directly to LRB/LRP, but I prefer just going to my launcher in case I want to switch to a parallel book.

There is no direct way to start Neoreader with the stock setup. You can't put it in the navigation ball nor does it have a shortcut on the home screen. You open a book or file it can open and it opens. Normally the last read book is the first one on the library page (which is also the default home screen on boot) so I imagine it's not a big deal to most users. It sounds like OP has everything setup in folders or something so that doesn't happen.

Tags
current page, note3, setting