Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Long Time Kobo Owner Switches to Kindle...

Hi everyone,

I have been a Kobo owner for a few years, starting with the Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo and Kobo Mini.

I now own a Kindle Paperwhite 2 since a week. I am extremely pleased. It is overall a superior product to my Kobo Glo (although in all fairness the Paperwhite 2 should not be compared to the Glo but to the more recent Kobo Aura).

The main reason why I wanted to try Kindle was the perpetual software issues and annoyances of every Kobo ereaders. It's beyond me why Kobo can solve some issues while creating new ones in the process. In the meantime, some features such as notes taking seem indefinitely broken.

The pros of the Paperwhite 2 over my Kobo Glo:
  • The software is stable, not buggy, and does what it says.
  • System is snappier, faster.
  • The Amazon store is way above the Kobo store - no comparison.
  • The screen contrast is superior and white. The Kobo light isn't really white, it has a blueish tone (not in itself an issue but I prefer the white rendition of the Kindle light).
  • It seems solid, you can feel the heft in your hand.
  • Wifi is always on, with no noticeable impact on battery life.
  • Wikipedia access !!! I am an avid history books reader, and having direct access to Wikipedia by simply pressing on a word is fantastic!

The cons of the Paperwhite 2:
  • It is noticeably heavier than the Kobo Glo (and that's why it feels more solid too).
  • You cannot turn off the light, although you can lower it down to a point at which it is not noticeable. Not an issue but I find it weird, I prefer Kobo's light button to allow you to switch it on or off entirely.

So the cons of the PaperWhite are quite minimal. Ex aequo with Kobo is PDF reading ability. Kindle does reflow text so that is better, but it did crash on me however. That being said, if I have a PDF to read, I prefer doing it on my tablet anyway.

I am also very much interested in the upcoming Goodreads integration.

After converting my EPUB library into AMZ3 with Calibre, I cannot be happier with the Paperwhite. Count me as a Kindle fan now
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Leaving WiFi turned on does actually have a significant impact on the PW's battery life. You'll roughly double the battery life by leaving WiFi turned off, and only turning it on when you actually need it. This may not be an issue, of course - the battery life is still pretty decent even when WiFi is on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
You're a traitor !

I'm just kidding of course. I'll probably get a PW2 eventually so that I can have the best of both worlds.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I have to say I find my PW2 a marked improvement over my Sony PRST-1. Which of course is to be expected as the Sony is pretty ancient now. However, the Kindle has not crashed or frozen once; the Sony software is so unstable that I always kept a paperclip handy when I was reading
It seems that Sony have no intention of patching the T1's software, maybe they just abandon older models once a new one comes out. Just like they do with their TV sets...
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
After converting my EPUB library into AMZ3 with Calibre, I cannot be happier with the Paperwhite. Count me as a Kindle fan now
And clearly an Apprentice Alf fan too!

When I eventually replace my nook, I'll probably go for whatever the latest kindle is. But unless I have an accident, that's not going to be for a year or two yet.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Welcome to Kindleland Tzar. As you can see, I have both brands of Readers and do enjoy them both when I am reading. You are right, though, it is just less of a hassle owning a Kindle.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Welcome on the dark side. We have cookies

Seriously, I own both brands too, but find myself using 99% of the time my kindles. I do miss the settings possibilities of the Kobos from time to time, but I love the kindles. So much more reliable, the CS is fantastic (not that you would need it much anyway), and the general tone in the kindle subforum is much nicer too, at least most of the time.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have both, but I am more in favor of the Kobo Glo due to it's smaller size, weight, and Calibre collection management. Love the tiles on the homescreen, too! The contrast on the Kindle PW2 is better, though. I hope next year's Paperwhite will be smaller and lighter.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I look at the size of the PW2 as a plus for me personally. That way the extra case that I had for the PW1 actually fits my PW2 and saved me some money!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Smile

Man, you are on the Morning Coffee of today on The Digital Reader!

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.Um_9afnCa0U (Topic "Long Time Kobo Owner Switches to Kindle")

Congratulations!
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
welcome to the world of Kindle, I have been considering moving the other way, but have more or less decided to stay in the Kindle camp

If you miss some of the customisable of the Kobo I found out only the other day that you can expand the font list in your Kindle without jail breaking it

http://documentally.com/2013/10/21/a...le-paperwhite/
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
irandamay
irandamay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad 3, iPhone 5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
When I eventually replace my nook, I'll probably go for whatever the latest kindle is. But unless I have an accident, that's not going to be for a year or two yet.
I wasn't planning on replacing my Glowlight Nook so soon, but I got one of those $60 coupons last week, so into the cart it went! I can't believe how nice the screen looks next to my Nook.
irandamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
welcome to the world of Kindle, I have been considering moving the other way, but have more or less decided to stay in the Kindle camp

If you miss some of the customisable of the Kobo I found out only the other day that you can expand the font list in your Kindle without jail breaking it

http://documentally.com/2013/10/21/a...le-paperwhite/
That only works with the first generation Paperwhite.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
I just made the same switch, and I think you summed it up well!
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Good call on ditching the Kobo! Sorry but I'm a hater of them. lol Way too many issues and I just want to read not deal with a temperamental piece of technology or software.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote