Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
The problem is that each part of the series is not a complete story by itself.

Would you be satisfied if you were watching a great film and stopped at 50%?

How can you look back at that experience as a positive one? It's only natural to want to see the conclusion of something you have started.

Obviously Martin is free to live his life the way he wants to and I would not blame him even if he decided never to finish the story, but I still would be disappointed and feel that I've wasted my time.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I've bought them all and not read them yet. Still waiting on it to finish. I always end up having to re-read series and I have too many books to read now to do that. So they're sitting there along with a few other unfinished series.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 03:11 AM   #18
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
I have read A Game of Thrones - I loved it!

George R. R. Martin has really restored my faith in Fantasy. I am rediscovering the genre, but was disappointed to find that the memorable books from my youth haven't stood the test of time. It is a relief to find there are great new works of Fantasy being written by authors like George R. R. Martin and Steven Eriskon (Malazan Book of the Fallen).

Last edited by artificial; 06-18-2010 at 03:14 AM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #19
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I loved the first books, but he lost me in the next-to-last, the one where he only continued the threads for half the characters. I waited for the last one to come out in paperback, then I waited for the e-book but that's obviously not coming, and while I was waiting I kind of lost interest. If he has lost interest too, I wish he's just admit it and publish something else. Or has he?

I doesn't bother me overmuch to leave a story unfinished, if it stops being interesting to me. That's what happened to this series, though it's a shame, I really loved the characters.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #20
kainne
Connoisseur
kainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-700
I going to wait until its finished if ever. I read somewhere that the next book is out in October but can't find the article again. I checked his website but its years out of date in places. It says there are still 3 more books in the series so I may never get to read it since he started Dance for Dragons in 2007.
kainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #21
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainne View Post
I going to wait until its finished if ever. I read somewhere that the next book is out in October but can't find the article again. I checked his website but its years out of date in places. It says there are still 3 more books in the series so I may never get to read it since he started Dance for Dragons in 2007.
I also checked, and the last update for Ice and Fire is dated January, 2008.

I can't believe its been almost 5 years since "A Feast for Crows" came out, and "A Dance With Dragons" was originally to come out 6 months after Crows.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #22
Vespa
Vespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enoughVespa will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
I find it odd to see a writer beaten up for not finishing a series. I haven't ran into that yet because I'm not as well read as most people on here. I used to read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi at my local library in dusty little Apple Valley California back in the 80's when I was a kid. It was a good little library for me back then and I got exposed to many great books.

I stopped at some point and went on with only school books and non-fiction but not too many years ago the yearning for more of those great stories I remembered persisted and I started searching the web for 'The Great Modern Fantasy Series' <booming echoey voice there>. What I found on top of my searches were G.R.R. Martin and Glen Cook. I'll save Mr. Cook for another topic some day.

So I bought the books and I read them and I was blown away by G.R.R.M. The character development was for a very short time a hindrance to me because I wasn't used to that level of detail. Very soon I was slavering for every bit of detail of the people and of the world. That alone is worth a re-read for me because I knew I was missing important details as I was whisked along with the big picture and not the little things.

In that I felt the series so far was a gem. Definitely worth a re-read. I feel so much satisfaction going back through this at a leisurely pace and soaking up the details.

With that, I'll be ready for the rest of the series and sometime I hope to get the next book. But until G.R.R.M. has passed from this world I think it's fine to enjoy what he's given us in this series alone and not be upset or even angry that he hasn't had a whip at his back making him churn out the next book. Good things come to those who wait.

I'm just thankful he wrote the first four books and will always be. They brought me back to seriously good fantasy writing.

If you're bored waiting for the latest in the series go get Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword for more in the same world of Westeros (back in time). Please read at least A Game Of Thrones before reading those.

Last edited by Vespa; 06-19-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #23
koffkoff
crane rider
koffkoff doesn't litterkoffkoff doesn't litter

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
I recently got into George R.R. Martin's fantasy world ASOIAF. Finished A Game of Thrones and currently reading book 2: A Clash of Kings. My buddy lent me all 4 books (paperback)

loving it so far. Very rich and believable world.

My current fave is Tyrion Lannister the Imp.

Currently waiting for my Nook to be shipped (delayed) so I can buy them ebooks for it.
koffkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #24
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffkoff View Post
I recently got into George R.R. Martin's fantasy world ASOIAF. Finished A Game of Thrones and currently reading book 2: A Clash of Kings. My buddy lent me all 4 books (paperback)

loving it so far. Very rich and believable world.

My current fave is Tyrion Lannister the Imp.

Currently waiting for my Nook to be shipped (delayed) so I can buy them ebooks for it.
I agree, I love him!

Are they available as e-books now? When I looked (some time ago) I think I found only one of them.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #25
koffkoff
crane rider
koffkoff doesn't litterkoffkoff doesn't litter

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I agree, I love him!

Are they available as e-books now? When I looked (some time ago) I think I found only one of them.
I saw them at these websites

Fictionwise
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/t/.../?seriesid=470

Barnes & Noble
http://productsearch.barnesandnoble....%20R.%20Martin
koffkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #26
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffkoff View Post
Thanks, I didn't know! Although I can't buy them (US and CA only) and the one I haven't read (A Dance with Dragons ) is not available at Fictionwise, but it's a start
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #27
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
This series is one of my all time favorites. I've read it through twice, at least, and have it loaded up on my reader ready to re-read if the new book ever gets released. (It's so complex that there's no way I can remember details unless I read straight through again and right into the new one!) In my opinion, it's definitely worth reading even if he never goes another step further with it. I bought the e-books from Fictionwise, I believe.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #28
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hiya gang, I've loved the series so far and right now I'm early in the 4th book A Feast for Crows. This 4th book is an odd one and I've already read up on the story behind this book, why it is what it is and how the whole process got so disjointed for GRRM. If you haven't read about the whole bizarre process I encourage you to read the synopsis here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_...cation_history

I suspect this 4th book will be bit of struggle for me to keep the same interest level as I had for book 3 (which was *fantastic* by the way. ) I'll certainly read it though as I have to know what happens next!

Here's hoping we see book 5 A Dance With Dragons next spring to coincide with the HBO series.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #29
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I love this series and reread it several times already. But I just find it ridiculous how GRRM took 4+ (and counting) years to write what is supposedly half a book that's already done. I know this is simplying things a bit but that was what he told us when Feast came out (that 1/2 the book was cut and to be published as Dance).

He is a great writer and I really enjoy most of his other works (Wild Cards mosaic novels, Hedge Knight offshoots, Tuf Voyaging, which is my 2nd favorite book of his, and Fevre Dreams, etc). But these days, he is spreading himself so thin in all the other ASOIAF projects (calendar, figures, RPG, TV show, editing other works, writing other stories, con this, con that, etc etc etc). He barely have time to write at all. He is a victim of his own success, I guess.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #30
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Yes, this was fantastic (excuse me) fantasy. Influenced me as an author.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote