Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast
unabatedshagie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
New user with a couple of questions

1. If I've synced a book to the kindle then change something (author name, title, cover etc) how do I update the information on the Kindle to be the same as Calibre? I'm currently removing the book then re-adding it, is that the correct way because I've noticed a few times titles of books aren't being changed when I view them on the Kindle.
  2. After a few hours I've finally gotten my authors in the SN, FN format, when I sync books to the Kindle however they are being displayed in FN SN format? Can the Kindle only display author names one way?
unabatedshagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
  1. yes, exactly. The metadata changes are written into the book as you export it. You could just send and overwrite the book, depending on the change and your save template. I use a custom column to write the book back to the original filename Amazon used.
  2. The mobi formats, both mobi7 (.mobi) and mobi8 (.azw3) do not support {author} metadata. Wat they do is store the {author_sort} metadata, and use that for sorting, then switch it around the comma in order to render the name on-screen. So yes, there is only one way to display them. By the way, for this reason there is an option under Preferences ==> Conversion ==> Output Options under the MOBI and AZW3 tabs to "use author sort for author". If this is how you set them to LN, FN format, then good. If not, this is the most elegant way to do so.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert