Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
markus98
markus98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2019)
How could I document my reading history in Calibre (book status read / not-read / fin

Do you have any idea if I somehow can document in a simple and nice way the read-status of a book in my library?

e.g. book read, book not read, finished reading at date

I do not manage only purchased books in my library, but also books someone just recommended to me. Basically, Calibre is my personal library I go to if I want to pick the next book.
markus98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
A few options:
  • You can create a custom column for "Read Status" or whatever title you like
  • You can add tags "read", "unread", "wishlist"
  • If you're not rating your books, you could use the Ratings column and assign stars to your reading status
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
This is a frequently discussed topic, and there are a lot of solutions people do. The simplest solution is to add a yes/no column and set it to yes when finished. Another is to use the rating column and set that when finished. If you want the date read, then add a date column and set that it when finished.

Personally, I use a few things:

Firstly, I use "percent read" and "date last read" columns. These are automatically retrieved from my Kobo devices when I plug them in. Unread means those columns have nothing and 100% means it is finished.

I also use the Reading List plugin. That has a list for "To Read", "Reading" and "Read". Adding a book to one of these updates a column with the matching status. Removing the book from the list, removes the status. I have other lists and statuses for other things. The status column is used to create collections on my Kobo devices.

I also update the status on Goodreads. This is automatically done (using the Goodreads Sync plugin) when the status is fetched from my devices.

Lastly, I have some column icon rules that set an icon in the percent read column based on the state. A tick means it has been read, an open book for reading, a star if the book is finished but doesn't have a rating and some other things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
From very simple where Rating = "I've Read It" to custom columns for Read date, Status, Progress, Review. Hook in plugins like Goodreads Sync, Reading List, icons for different lists, custom color for read books, you have a very flexible setup.

Here's an idea what can be accomplished:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reading.png
Views:	1053
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	177104  
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can do it with custom columns: e.g. reading_status (wanted, not read, started, discarded, finished, read again etc) and a couple of dates: start_reading and end-reading.

I have a reading_status custom column, I use the built-in Date column for end_reading, they're adjacent columns in the list that I maintain via F2 editing.

You could also use the Reading List plugin and/or the Calibre Companion app.

Start with something simple that you maintain manually, its easier to add bells and whistles, automation etc than it is to take them away when you realise they're superfluous.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-12-2020 at 09:34 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #6
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I feel like I've been doing this a lot recently, but I second (or third, or whatever) the recommendation to use the Reading List plugin.

I also use a virtual library making use of the tag "tbr" and sort that by date.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
Blakestr
Enthusiast
Blakestr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017 32 gb Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Firstly, I use "percent read" and "date last read" columns. These are automatically retrieved from my Kobo devices when I plug them in. Unread means those columns have nothing and 100% means it is finished.
Does that column work with Kindles? Could you do 99 percent, as sometimes books have previews at the end and I usually skip those, but I have read the book.
Blakestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakestr View Post
Does that column work with Kindles? Could you do 99 percent, as sometimes books have previews at the end and I usually skip those, but I have read the book.
Reading status (in Calibre) is mostly MANUAL.
Kobo Utilities managed to access the data on Kobos. Many others (Kindle) do not allow this
I use a date column. Blank = not read, A date of 2000 means I abandoned the book, any other later date = done (I skip Previews also. Messes my mind when browsing 'Oh I have read this', when in fact, it was just a sample )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakestr View Post
Apart from the ratings column, all the columns I mentioned, are custom columns I have added. And as @theducks mentioned, these are set from the device using my Kobo Utilities plugin. This only works with Kobo devices. To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to retrieve the equivalent information from a Kindle.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to retrieve the equivalent information from a Kindle.
Kindles do keep track of percentage read in files that can be accessed from the device. I don’t believe that anyone has bothered to make use of this information so far. (I have no interest in doing so.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 PM   #11
markus98

Thanks, that was really very useful and I set up parts of that already in my library. I had not idea that you could even sync the reading status. I do not need that but its really good to know that even more is possiblee
Old 02-14-2020, 11:20 PM   #12
markus98

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli View Post
From very simple where Rating = "I've Read It" to custom columns for Read date, Status, Progress, Review. Hook in plugins like Goodreads Sync, Reading List, icons for different lists, custom color for read books, you have a very flexible setup.

Here's an idea what can be accomplished:
Thanks for the screenshot - I see you added the custom columns to the sidebar. Can you show me how you added those?

I just added two custom columns: read, finished

I can perform searches and run saved searches, but would be nice to also have it just available directly on the sidebar to quickly filter out my library to all "read" books or "not read" books, etc.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:22 PM   #13
markus98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Start with something simple that you maintain manually, its easier to add bells and whistles, automation etc than it is to take them away when you realise they're superfluous.

BR
Good point, I definitely want to keep it simple and do not even want to spend too much time for it. Till now I just "tracked" it in Evernote. Of course it would be better to have it directly within Calibre. It's just nice to look back and see when you read what.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:25 PM   #14
markus98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I feel like I've been doing this a lot recently, but I second (or third, or whatever) the recommendation to use the Reading List plugin.

I also use a virtual library making use of the tag "tbr" and sort that by date.
I only had a quick look at the Reading List plugin. While it has for sure more features than I need, I think for the basic workflow this plugin just simplifies how to set a status of a custom column. That's how I understood it so far.

Without Reading List:
Need to go to edit metadata and manually change the status of the custom column "read" to yes or no

With Reading List:
Still not fantastic usability, but just add a book to the list "read" and it will change the custom column "read" as well to "yes"

Please correct me if I am wrong as this would be my intention on how to use it.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:24 AM   #15
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus98 View Post
I just added two custom columns: read, finished
I'm guessing you made a Yes/No column for finished.

Instead, try "Comma separated, like tags, shown in tag browser", even if it's one tag, maybe you'll add want-to-read/abandoned/etc later...

For "not read", best to click twice on Read (for a Not search) instead of labeling every new book not read.

P.S. drag a book onto the sidebar to quickly mark a book "finished"... no need to go Edit Metadata, Custom Metadata then enter 'finished'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cols.png
Views:	4122
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	177155  

Last edited by uli; 02-15-2020 at 12:27 AM.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote